I fancy a new wax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Save ya self a bundle
Just buy a Magno finished Merc]

Hmm I'm not convinced by the man maths on that one haha. Although my CLS63 is all Gtechnic'd up and wrapped up for the winter.

This wax is more for my daily car and other half's CLS. :)

Given that 99% of the paint finish is achieved from the preparation/polishing process there will be very little discernible difference between the products applied for the protection coating. Carnauba-based waxes are generally favoured by owners of darker coloured cars because of the perceived warmth and depth produced at the expense of an extreme gloss finish. Lighter coloured cars fare better with synthetic sealant-based waxes which seek to maximise reflectivity. Beyond that, choice is dictated by ease of application, longevity of the protection plus a massive dollop of "Emperor's New Clothes" syndrome. There is absolutely nothing wrong with dropping a huge amount of coin on a boutique wax if it releases those endorphins for you. It is no different to paying several hundred pounds for a spoonful of fish eggs if that brings you joy.

If you enjoy the finer things in life then try putting this on your list to Santa: Zymol Vintage Glaze

My GLC is Hyacinth Red and this is my current favourite at £42 for a large 210ml pot: BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax

Couldn't agree more. It is genuinely all about the prep work and the reality is you could spend £500 or £20 on a wax with the results looking nigh on identical, especially to the average person.

The most I spent on a wax was a heavily discounted pot of Dodo Juice Supernatural which I must admit was an absolutely lovely wax to use. It also lasted very well for a carnauba wax. I liked that fact that it was so easy to apply and buff off, as well as really lasting. Hence my temptation to go for the Supernatural Hybrid.

I've generally tended to opt for the likes of Collinite as it's inexpensive but lasts brilliantly.

I lost all enthusiasm for wax after I saw the legendary Steve Carel go through this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hard to beat the Collinite 476s that you mentioned in your original post, unless you go down the Ceramic coating route

Just remember for those thinking of going down the Ceramic route, and that is to use a Shampoo that is compliant with use on Ceramics...... ;) ie. PH Neutral and that do not contain Waxes or Sealants.

Hope you'll be gentle with me, following the last post.

I had my Jag XK convertible ceramic coated in October. I haven't washed her yet - just dusted with a fibre cloth.

She's in "Phoenix Red", which is the only solid colour these came in.

I normally use Autoglym products and have been very pleased with them ... but the ceramic coating is absolutely superb.

What would you recommend to keep that finish? I was intending to wash, leather and polish .... anything else/different I should be doing?

My CL's in Irridium Silver, which has gone "cloudy" - hope that makes sense - and she gets the wash, leather and Autoglym, which brings up a nice shine, albeit rather short-lived, probably due to the higher UV we get over here.

Thanks for any help.

If it’s been ceramic coated I don’t think you should polish...

Just wash and dry with pH neutral shampoo

Thanks - I had the work done by a pro while the car was being mechanically sorted in the UK, but didn't get any aftercare advice, apart from don't wash it for a week! My fault for not clarifying at the time.

Presumably polish will attack the ceramic finish?

Polish is an abrasive, so will eventually wear through the ceramic coating. There's no problem with waxing though as all you're doing is adding a 'gloss' layer.
My Lexus is ceramic coated (from new) and all I do is wash with Meg's Shampoo Plus and finish with a spray of Meg's X-press spray wax to help dry and give a really slick surface.

Polish is an abrasive, .
Or you could use the Carlack 'system nano' range.... shampoo, polish (non abrasive) and long life sealant, also marketed as Klasse SG and Wekstatt Acrylic Prime.

Sensible prices and an excellent product range which is easy to use. The polish can be applied to a wet car. I find Duragloss Aquawax excellent as well.

Hard to beat the Collinite 476s that you mentioned in your original post, unless you go down the Ceramic coating route

Heard good things but never tried. This or the AG HD?

I have a good amount of poorboys natty left on the shelf I simply love (although not the most durable)

Or you could use the Carlack 'system nano' range.... shampoo, polish (non abrasive) and long life sealant, also marketed as Klasse SG and Wekstatt Acrylic Prime.

Sensible prices and an excellent product range which is easy to use. The polish can be applied to a wet car. I find Duragloss Aquawax excellent as well.
I used Carlack 68 on a previous car and liked it a lot. Easy to apply (wet or dry) and easy to remove. Lasts quite well to.

Zymol Carbon

45814978_10156301432472284_2691599066021756928_n.jpg

40287647_10156127171197284_1641022676413710336_n.jpg

I used Carlack 68 on a previous car and liked it a lot. Easy to apply (wet or dry) and easy to remove. Lasts quite well to.

A great all rounder and absolutely perfect on white or silver :)

Thanks again both. I'll start with simple wash 'n' dry first and then see how that goes.

I have to say, I'm really impressed with the finish on the car. If I could find how to post a pic, I would (am I allowed to post a pic of a Jag on here?:confused:).

What would you recommend to keep that finish? I was intending to wash, leather and polish .... anything else/different I should be doing?

My CL's in Iridium Silver, which has gone "cloudy" - hope that makes sense - and she gets the wash, leather and Autoglym, which brings up a nice shine, albeit rather short-lived, probably due to the higher UV we get over here.

Swotty - for the Jag I'd just use the following:-
Bucket with a grit guard in - or if you're feeling a deep need two buckets - one for washing and one for rinsing your wash mitt.
Clay bar - for use every 6 months
Microfibre wash mitt
BH Auto Wash - one spoonful in the wash bucket
Good microfibre drying towel - Kent Car Care GKEQ6100 Extra Large Microfibre Drying Towel - 5 sq.ft | eBay
A quick detail spray to keep the glossy look at its best - I use Sonax brilliant shine detail spray

For the CL
I'd clay bar, then since its cloudy use this ODK - Pro Cleanse , then use the Carlack Complete followed by the LongLife sealant

Sounds like a lot of stuff to buy and work to do but once youve spent the time doing it the car will be much nicer. Also the sealant has UV protection in it.

Wow, thanks again you guys ... some great advice. French car care products are very different from what we use in the UK, so I'm going to have to put in a bulk order. Sadly, I had stocked up on Autoglym and it hurts (as a Yorkie!) to throw anything away.

Having put in the investment on the Jag, though, needs must. I just hadn't researched it enough, so thanks, all, for the correct advice!

Thought that since I was ordering some other bits, I'd give this a try at some point. Only a panel pot so maybe 3-4 coats in it. Smells good haha

g5AcTda.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom