I just need a quick rant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is a fair chance that Hybrid cars running on both petrol and electric/hydrogen will take over from purely petrol or diseasle cars in the future. Whether that is before or after 2032/5 remains to be seen. The UK government do seem to be in a hurry and making a kind of statement about it. Boris needs to be careful. There are a lot of motorists who know their way to a polling station.

And meanwhile, while the UK motorist will be having his pants pulled down with plummeting used car values and high cost hybrids, the rest of the world (certainly Asia/N America) will carry on as usual. Our tiny island's carbon footprint is really going to make a difference:rolleyes:

Cool, where can I buy one and fill it up without burning my eyebrows?
You can refuel at Swindon Honda plant, they bring transporters full of cars/buses etc here from all over the south...

The debate here is about a proven technology (EV) and the difficulties in implementing it while you propose something that isn't even proven. You'd be as well suggest we 'turn down the sun'.

It won't all suddenly change in 15yrs, just one won't be able to purchase a new car.
What's ne clear is will manufacturers be able to sell cars already produced and in the supply change?

From the European perspective, the European manufacturers have no intention of meeting Euro 7 regs with ICE when it is implemented - electrification is their preferred route. Japanese are straddling both camps, proposing ICE production will be extended for countries not yet ready to embrace electrification (which can reasonably be read as developing countries).

What is unknown for the UK is whether EU regs (revised Euro 6 then Euro 7) will be the criteria for access to the UK market after we have formally left the EU at the end of this year. Perhaps someone should ask Johnson and Chapps - if they can get a word in edgeways.

They government were going to switch-off analogue radio broadcasting.

The banks were going the end the use of cheques.

Don't get too excited about ambitious plans. It will happen, eventually.... but rarely on time.

The debate here is about a proven technology (EV) and the difficulties in implementing it while you propose something that isn't even proven. You'd be as well suggest we 'turn down the sun'.
Yes, but it's the wrong debate. Hydrogen fuel cell technology does work but needs developing to the macro level.

There was , of course, The Hindenburg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Then there was a rail Zeppelin ,

and Maybach made a car with that name .

But a road Zeppelin?

They government were going to switch-off analogue radio broadcasting.

The banks were going the end the use of cheques.

Don't get too excited about ambitious plans. It will happen, eventually.... but rarely on time.
DAB has been an unmitigated disaster with poor coverage , sub AM quality on the lower bitrate channels , next to useless for mobile reception . No wonder people have refused to give up FM .

Cheques ? I haven’t had a chequebook for so long I can’t remember, and since the cheque guarantee cards were abolished hardly anywhere will accept them .

I'd genuinely love and electric car however my house sits just off the road with no driveway so I'd have no where to charge it and I can't see my better half being very pleased if I sat in the local Tesco for an hour every night charging my car.

Maybe work would let me plug it in during the day :rolleyes:.

Reactions: 219
DAB has been an unmitigated disaster with poor coverage , sub AM quality on the lower bitrate channels , next to useless for mobile reception . No wonder people have refused to give up FM .

Cheques ? I haven’t had a chequebook for so long I can’t remember, and since the cheque guarantee cards were abolished hardly anywhere will accept them .
My mouth writes cheques my body can't cash all the time ! I heard something like that in a film once . I still have a cheque book, wrote one last week to my insurance broker, I must admit it does't get much use these days.

Last edited:
Yes, but it's the wrong debate. Hydrogen fuel cell technology does work but needs developing to the macro level.

Man to librarian: 'Can you tell me where the books on hydrogen as a fuel are please?'
Librarian: 'Certainly. They're where they've always been - just around the corner'.

Man to librarian: 'Can you tell me where the books on hydrogen as a fuel are please?'
Librarian: 'Certainly. They're where they've always been - just around the corner'.

Different man, same librarian.
"Do you have a book on how to spot a ladyboy?"
"It'll be tucked away somewhere."
"Yes, that's the one."

Different man, same librarian.
"Do you have a book on how to spot a ladyboy?"
"It'll be tucked away somewhere."
"Yes, that's the one."
Wouldn’t they be kept ‘in the closet’ , alongside the biographies of certain celebrities , who are ‘brought out’ every so often ...

Hydrogen IS proven technology, Toyota and Honda both have production ready cars and their own infrastructure in Japan. There is a train running on it and there are soon to be bus fleets running on it. River Simple in Wales are developing their own cars. (google them, an aquired tatse though) It got men to the moon it works and now its safe for use in cars.
It just needs the money to convert existing petrol stations into Petrol/diesel and Hydrogen filling stations. Its a no brainer, the goverment dont seem to have a brain though.
Also check out the number of hydrogen filling stations in Germany!! 64 !
I would put money on the Big german companys inc merc are working on this. Battery's are nothing more than a stop gap.
Yes its difficult to produce and has some other issues but they can be overcome.

Its the only viable option to replace the consumer ICE cars with a vehcile that provides the same convenience, and convenience ultimately is what will drive the change. As much as we love to be green we all have busy lives that simply cannot be spent wasted while waiting to charge a ton of batteries from an lready stretched natinal grid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom