I just need a quick rant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not quite correct. New homes will no longer be fitted with domestic gas boilers from that date, which is a very different scenario. A statement made by the chancellor who was replaced by the chancellor who has also just recently been replaced.

Good news then. There's going to be some new houses built.....

To your point though, gas boilers will still be available for replacing existing ones? If so, agreed, a very different scenario to what is being bandied about.

Reactions: 219
I know we have a few members who tow a caravan,I was just wondering just how far a electric car will tow their pride and joy,has there been any articles in the Caravan mags.

They are planning to ban them as well , unless approved fuel is used. I believe some councils have already, mainly due to some owners putting any old carp that will burn in them, I know a few owners who do that already.
I burn coal or wood in the fire .

I know we have a few members who tow a caravan,I was just wondering just how far a electric car will tow their pride and joy,has there been any articles in the Caravan mags.
All this nonsense will bring down the prices of large cars for those of us who still want them .

I may yet get a V12

All this nonsense will bring down the prices of large cars for those of us who still want them .

I may yet get a V12

I was thinking the same thing,the mileage I do now is about 10 grand so a big engined petrol car will not hit the wallet too hard.

I burn coal or wood in the fire .
Thats what they want to ban , as part of the 'Clean air strategy' in 2019 focus was on the particulates that come out of a domestic wood burner. A domestic wood burner using wood or coal puts out as much particulate matter per hour as a diesel truck, this is what they want stopped.
There are of course 'clean' wood burners out there (Scandinavia , etc) but most of the estimated 1.5 million of them in the UK are nothing more than small dustbins with an open flue to atmosphere.

By 2022 the plan is for only eco-design models to be available , this is an EU directive so it could all go away (don't bank on it) I have 5 fire places this house and thought about a wood burner or two, then I experienced them elsewhere and realised how inefficient they are and saw they are more decorative than anything else.

I gave them a miss.

Thing is, they will subsidise alternatives to encourage new tech and take up.

If the alternatives are not viable the date will be put back.

Thats what they want to ban , as part of the 'Clean air strategy' in 2019 focus was on the particulates that come out of a domestic wood burner. A domestic wood burner using wood or coal puts out as much particulate matter per hour as a diesel truck, this is what they want stopped.
There are of course 'clean' wood burners out there (Scandinavia , etc) but most of the estimated 1.5 million of them in the UK are nothing more than small dustbins with an open flue to atmosphere.

By 2022 the plan is for only eco-design models to be available , this is an EU directive so it could all go away (don't bank on it) I have 5 fire places this house and thought about a wood burner or two, then I experienced them elsewhere and realised how inefficient they are and saw they are more decorative than anything else.

I gave them a miss.
Mine are stone hearths in my 180 year old cottage ; I’m not changing them .

No need to change them, It's just that you won't be allowed to use them thats all.
They can try , but since everyone in the countryside uses solid fuel heating it is a non starter and any of the do gooders who try to stop it will find themselves voted out of office .

They can try , but since everyone in the countryside uses solid fuel heating it is a non starter and any of the do gooders who try to stop it will find themselves voted out of office .
.... The Wicker Man ....:eek:

I’ve only ever seen one electric car towing and that was a Tesla Model X travelling in the opposite direction on the M6 Toll - I don’t even know whether they’re homologated for towing. I’ve never towed with an electric car but I have done plenty of towing with ICE cars, and so I have an understanding of what the weight and are drag does to energy use.

We tow a twin axle caravan and fuel consumption when towing over a long distance (say 200 miles of mostly A roads and motorways) is around 60-70% of what could be achieved at the same speeds without the caravan. That said cars usually travel faster without a caravan, using more fuel, and so it’s possible to reach close to 80% in real terms. I suspect similar reduction in range for an EV.

I may yet get a V12

I'd wager that VED will be increased to a stupid level to "encourage people to go green"

I'd wager that VED will be increased to a stupid level to "encourage people to go green"
If they try to abolish the rolling 40 year exemption for classic cars there will be uproar - and the politicians responsible will also find themselves out of office .

The people have the power , not the politicians - they would do well to remember that .

If they try to abolish the rolling 40 year exemption for classic cars there will be uproar - and the politicians responsible will also find themselves out of office .

The people have the power , not the politicians - they would do well to remember that .
Are classic car owners that powerful?

There are many factors which influence a person's voting preference but classic car exemption isn't one of them.

True, I fear. I wonder what percentage of voters, let alone the floating voters who determine which party wins in a normal election, would be affected by changing the classic car exemption? Less than one percent, I think.

They are planning to ban them as well , unless approved fuel is used. I believe some councils have already, mainly due to some owners putting any old carp that will burn in them, I know a few owners who do that

Restrictions on fuel isn't a new idea. I grew up 4 miles from Manchester which was a smokeless zone in the 50's and 60's. We were not permitted to burn coal only coke which burns cleaner. People lit their fires with wood so that can't have been banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom