I survived a Keyless relay theft attempt...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I always remember the advice out there, shoot to kill first then put a shot into the roof, "fired a warning shot first but they kept coming".
Just had friends over from Cape Town and we usually go over there every year, it certainly seems to be going in the wrong direction.

I always remember the advice out there, shoot to kill first then put a shot into the roof, "fired a warning shot first but they kept coming".
Just had friends over from Cape Town and we usually go over there every year, it certainly seems to be going in the wrong direction.

....and put a large knife in his hand!

Problem is they are better armed - loads of the thieves have (illegal) AKs while we have legal semi's or revolvers.

I used to be away from home a lot for my project management job. If I came home late at night - I'd always make sure my wife knew it was me - she slept with my pump action shotgun under the bed when I was away and knew how to use it! I didn't want one of those "accidents" that had a lovely insurance benefit.

Mrs MJ's current and previous cars have/had Keyless entry&ignition, but as we live in a block of flats and the car is parked in the street I never worried about relay theft. I guess it's different when you live in a house and the car is parked on the drive...

This is a subject that has had me concerned recently, I too live in a flat on the fourth floor and my W205 is either parked in the car park or outside in the road. I have wondered how close to the key fob a thief has to be to interrogate the fob to obtain the code, I can now take a little comfort from the fact that said thief doesn’t know what part of the building the key is in, I may still use a tin to put the key in when not in use.

Last edited:
This is a subject that has had me concerned recently, I too live in a flat on the fourth floor and my W205 is either parked in the car park or outside in the road. I have wondered how close to the key fob a thief has to be to interrogate the fob to obtain the code, I can now take a little comfort from the fact that said thief doesn’t know what part of the building the key is in, I may still use a tin to put the key in when not in use.
Well, in the first instance you are lucky to find parking in front of your building every night....

There’s no harm in being over cautious. Some of the relay equipment can work from quite extraordinary distances - better safe than sorry.

Do your keyfobs on the 205 stay active though? Not sure exactly when they were introduced but I understand the newer MB keys go to sleep (stop communicating) once they are left still for a while.

.............. Some of the relay equipment can work from quite extraordinary distances - ...................

It depends on the strength of the signal from your key......if the key only puts out a signal strong enough to go 20' then the relay would have to be within 20'. A bit like wi-fi.....

It depends on the strength of the signal from your key......if the key only puts out a signal strong enough to go 20' then the relay would have to be within 20'. A bit like wi-fi.....

I don’t think it’s that simple.

I don’t think it’s that simple.

I think it is - if you are beyond the range of the keyfob signal how will you pick up the signal for relay? Same as your home wi-fi once you are out of range of your transmitting device that's it. There may be equipment that picks up extremely weak signals but I doubt the crooks have that kind of gear and it is probably not man-portable or discreet.

There’s no harm in being over cautious. Some of the relay equipment can work from quite extraordinary distances - better safe than sorry.

They would have to know where in the building the keys were surely?

Do your keyfobs on the 205 stay active though? Not sure exactly when they were introduced but I understand the newer MB keys go to sleep (stop communicating) once they are left still for a while.

I don't know if they remain active or go into sleep mode, I think someone posted earlier that it was a feature on later models with KG.

Again they would need to know where the keys were, There are 30 flats over 3-4 floors in my building.

I think it is - if you are beyond the range of the keyfob signal how will you pick up the signal for relay? Same as your home wi-fi once you are out of range of your transmitting device that's it. There may be equipment that picks up extremely weak signals but I doubt the crooks have that kind of gear and it is probably not man-portable or discreet.

What is the operating range of the fob? Is the range fob battery condition dependant? We used to have a digital cordless phone that worked when I was in the car park and the base station was the other side of the building 40m away!

What I’m saying is I wouldn’t count on 20 foot being a safe distance for not being able to pick up the signal. Sure it would be less easy but I suspect 20 foot wouldn’t be an impossible distance to overcome with the right equipment.

I don't know if they remain active or go into sleep mode, I think someone posted earlier that it was a feature on later models with KG.

Again they would need to know where the keys were, There are 30 flats over 3-4 floors in my building.

What is the operating range of the fob? Is the range fob battery condition dependant? We used to have a digital cordless phone that worked when I was in the car park and the base station was the other side of the building 40m away!

You’re a lot less likely to be targeted being in a block of flats over multiple floors, but as I was saying earlier there’s no harm in being over cautious :)

If your keys enter sleep mode after a few minutes of inactivity then you’ll have nothing to worry about really though.

Reactions: BMF
I have ordered a solar PIR light that overlooks the driveway, got a faraday pouch that the keys are put into when I'm at home.
Autowatch Ghost slow to respond to my inquiry of two days ago but that is going on as well.
Lastly, double clicking the remote and disabling KG before bedtime.

Not much more I can do to deter any scum that want my car.

I’ve seen quoted ranges of 2-20 metres. The latter sounds ridiculous to me. Given the size of the fob battery, I’d hope no more than 10 feet with a wall or window. I think I’ll try to build a small receiver to check it.

I’ve seen quoted ranges of 2-20 metres. The latter sounds ridiculous to me. Given the size of the fob battery, I’d hope no more than 10 feet with a wall or window. I think I’ll try to build a small receiver to check it.

Keep us posted, I for one would be curious of operational range under real world conditions.

Autowatch Ghost slow to respond to my inquiry of two days ago but that is going on as well.

Try one of their installers near you. They don't do installations - I think COMAND Uk do Ghost if you can get to them.

I have ordered a solar PIR light that overlooks the driveway, got a faraday pouch that the keys are put into when I'm at home.
Lastly, double clicking the remote and disabling KG before bedtime.

Not much more I can do to deter any scum that want my car.
COMAND/Unique are the people to speak to Roger.

Maybe see if you can combine an install with your next trip up the M3? :cool:

What is the operating range of the fob? Is the range fob battery condition dependant? ...........

Have somebody stand near the car while you move the fob further away and see if you can open / lock the car.....

Have somebody stand near the car while you move the fob further away and see if you can open / lock the car.....

That’s relying on the strength of the fob’s signal relative to the sensitivity of the car’s receiver though. Not only that but I think you’ll find the remote button press range isn’t really relevant to the keyless go signal strength either.

Relay devices use another completely separate receiver and transmitter so operating range can be totally different and as I said I wouldn’t rely on a set distance for safety. Far better to be over cautious in this instance than lose your car over an assumption for operating range! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom