I survived a Keyless relay theft attempt...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought on newer models the key went to sleep after a couple of minutes of not being moved and stopped giving a signal off

^ Only on the latest models, as far as I know.

Whether or not you can order the newer type keys to use retrospectively is a question probably worth asking.

Probably the cheapest and most effective deterrent is PIR-activated flood lights.

Thieves hate them.

It's not a substitute for locks, alarms, CCTV etc obviously, but on balance it's the most effective system pet Pound that money can buy.

My advice is to fit one before doing anything else.

And mount it high and out-of-reach.

+1 PIR flood lights
I do have 3 rows of lights. cheapo solar ones to start of proceedings and some super bright 4k + lumen electric powered ones. just look at how they stop this cowboy in his tracks. they will certainly daze any trespassers. I've angled them so that they dont shine into my neighbours houses across the road but I'm glad to have them especially at one stage when I had 4 cars in my drive including a thieves favourite , 18 reg RS4 Audi.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
This has been on my mind for some time now. A crime committed at a particular locus and time - and then trawl for all phones present in the area at the time and whittle them down to a likely suspect then search for evidence. Is it viable?

No way! On the other hand if you have a suspect and know his number you could check if he was there and at what time.

It's funny how many people are against faraday pouches for keys, that you keep in the house and take the keys out before you leave in the morning and return the keys to the pouch when you get home. On a recent thread there were all sorts of arguments against me that it takes extra time and hassle etc., now everyone's talking about steering locks and bollards on your driveway!!
The simplest and cheapest thing is to get a pouch to put your keys in (if you want to make use of keyless go that is, otherwise just double click every time).

I am going with the pouch for the keys as well. I ordered one yesterday too.
I don't see any difference between dropping them in a pouch or throwing them in a draw or hanging up:dk:

I am going with the pouch for the keys as well. I ordered one yesterday too.
I don't see any difference between dropping them in a pouch or throwing them in a draw or hanging up:dk:

Isn't disabling Keyless Go enough?

I recently bought 6 solar powered motion sensor lights from Amazon. Surprisingly bright (some are rated at 1000 lumens, with a couple of bigger 2000 lumen ones) and no need to wire it in!

Crumbs it is a sobering read this thread, glad you did not confront those low lifes and the vehicle remained with you. Think need to obtain some of said countermeasures before the keyless go turns into keyless gone! :eek:

Lacks drama....

A key I have to press a button on to make it work or a disclock? Give me the old (non KG) key any day all day.
And, in the event of a collision I really don't want a heavy disclock free to roam the cabin. Put it in the boot? - watch sneaky thief doesn't jump in and drive off while you're doing that.

Probably Mark, but I'm a belt a braces kind of guy:D
For the cost of the pouch (£9 99) its just another level of security on top of disabling KG.

Mrs MJ's current and previous cars have/had Keyless entry&ignition, but as we live in a block of flats and the car is parked in the street I never worried about relay theft. I guess it's different when you live in a house and the car is parked on the drive...

We've done this on the Tesla gone in 30 seconds thread already.

I like keyless entry and want to make use of it in the morning, I can grab my bag, lock the front door, put the door keys in my bag, grab the bin to take out - whatever I need to do, and just walk up to the car and open the door. It makes everything a little bit easier, I don't even need to care where the car keys are. Same when returning home, I get out of the car, grab my bag out the back, get the shopping or whatever and just push the button on the handle to lock it as I walk past, don't need to know where the car keys are. All very easy and a very useful feature.

Once in the house when I have put my bag away and put the shopping in the fridge etc., I can then get my car key out of my pocket and put it away in the pouch. In the morning when I get up I take the key out of the pouch and put it in my pocket and forget about it.

I'll get flamed for this - I knew I guy who put 9mm bullets into both people trying to steal his BMW. Very satisfying outcome - lots of pain and prison for the scum.

Wise not to go after them - unlike my wife who (years ago), when arriving home realised there were burglars in the house, grabbed a hammer (our garage was joined to the house) and went into the house --- luckily they had been there for several hours, had already ransacked the house and were (judging from the booze they drank) pretty drunk, had an alternative way out of the house and decided to run away.

F*** me, where you live, Detroit? :eek:

Hey Will,
As others have said, pretty shocking to read this.
Although this issues is becoming more common, it’s still pretty bloody alarming to hear about it.
Glad you are ok.
Don’t know if I could have resisted going out like you did, but I guess you made the right call.

I can’t really add too much that hasn’t already been said.
Additional deterrents outside your house or on your car could be a good starting point.

Auto ghost system is certainly worth considering too.

That and disabling any keyless go system you may (still) have.

Be safe bud and I hope you are all well. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

As a general side-note (just me thinking aloud), I really don’t have an interest in half the tech they are cramming into cars these days.
We know why they do it, to sell cars.
But I really don’t think they take enough responsibility for the features they are adding to cars.
Fail safes, additional layers of security etc.

As far as keyless go is concerned, I for one have zero interest in it.
Not once have I ever had a situation where I thought to myself “damn, really wish I had keyless go right now!”.
I really do think that things like this are tech for the sake of tech.
I’m not crapping on anyone who likes keyless go, I’m just saying that I don’t think it is one of the greatest displays of useful tech.

Maybe I’m old fashioned.
I like my buttons.
And I also like a car that allows me to tell it how I want to drive and not the other way around, but that’s another topic altogether.

If I had a car with keyless go, the first thing I would be doing is disabling it.

I recently bought 6 solar powered motion sensor lights from Amazon. Surprisingly bright (some are rated at 1000 lumens, with a couple of bigger 2000 lumen ones) and no need to wire it in!
Can you whatsapp me a link please Ed! :) cheers!

Can you whatsapp me a link please Ed! :) cheers!

I was looking last night, and couldn't find anything (was looking for an actual flood/security light), but have opted for a mains one instead.

F*** me, where you live, Detroit? :eek:

Far worse --- 20 years ago I lived in South Africa. I lived in a quiet suburb in quite an affluent part (not bragging - just emphasising how bad things were) and it was quite normal to hear automatic gunfire almost every night and we even had a guy shot dead in our street! We had a home invasion at 4 in the morning (fortunately I had a steel gate between the bedrooms and rest of the house) - My armed response company got there in 10 minutes, the cops arrived later that afternoon. A year after we left our neighbour was murdered by armed robbers, in front of his family, in broad daylight .

SA is now one the rape and murder capitals of the world.

Far worse --- 20 years ago I lived in South Africa. I lived in a quiet suburb in quite an affluent part (not bragging - just emphasising how bad things were) and it was quite normal to hear automatic gunfire almost every night and we even had a guy shot dead in our street! We had a home invasion at 4 in the morning (fortunately I had a steel gate between the bedrooms and rest of the house) - My armed response company got there in 10 minutes, the cops arrived later that afternoon. A year after we left our neighbour was murdered by armed robbers, in front of his family, in broad daylight .

SA is now one the rape and murder capitals of the world.

Ah, that would explain it.
Couple of South Africans I know have told me what it’s like out there.
JoBerg.
Absolutely terrifying stuff.
They had enough and got the hell out of there.
One of them was even shot himself.

Ah, that would explain it.
Couple of South Africans I know have told me what it’s like out there.
JoBerg.
Absolutely terrifying stuff.
They had enough and got the hell out of there.
One of them was even shot himself.

Sad thing is that none of it is exaggeration. Terrible situation and the poorer you are the worse it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom