I`ve Had My Head Turned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSLiverpool

MB Enthusiast
Car
Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
The SL was in for its steering damper (£60 all in) and I noticed an SL55 03 at £35k in fact they had 2.

Im a huge fan of the forced induction engine and rate it better than the 6.3 unblown IMHO and at £35k for the SL its not a bad deal.

Issue is I have a problem being a 2 car peson when both cars are "normal" ie one isnt the daily driver and the other the hobby / claasic / weekend car - i see it as a waste to a degree.

Im considering either chopping in the SL320 (they will take it but we havent haggled) or chopping in the CLS55 (which is worth not much at the moment) - having 3 cars just for myself is not an option.

What would you do ? (SL55`s come with tier 1 warranty)

The latest SL's don't seem to like periods of inactivity with lots of flat battery problems. A sophisticated battery charger would be a good investment. You will move into the future mysteries of post 2001 VED territory as well. I reckon as a "daily driver" your old r129 SL 320 is the better bet.

Agree the tax is annoying and a factor - i resent it !! however the CLS is the daily driver the SL is slowly coming up to what I would describe as "fettled" with nearly all the little jobs done.

After perusing auto trader im shocked at the number of SL55`s about at low mney - makes me think the CLS is worth even less

Do you need/want a four seater. If so keep the CLS.
Or would you prefer to have two two seaters?

How important is cost/money. Obviously the most economic route is to keep what you have as depreciation going forward will be less.

Some dealers are saying that big pertols are virtually unsaleable so if you change strike a hard bargain. Not difficult at the moment.

I wouldn't swap the CLS55 for an SL55, as nice as the SL55 is I think the CLS suits the forced induction engine more so than the SL55 does, I think you will find that your CLS would get good money in a private sale too, not that many around.

Swap the SL320 by all means, but I wouldn't let the CLS55 go, probably one of the best Mercs ever made imho, it has it all if looking for a rapid comfy, luxurious mile muncher.

Taking a SL55 out on weds - not driven one before

A semi serious off putter for me on any SL daily driver is im only 5`6" as such the seat is quite forward, the doors are very long and when your forward you have to open them quite wide to get out comfortably - in supermarkets or tight car parks is a scramble - not helped by me being a lardar*e as well !!!

A semi serious off putter for me on any SL daily driver is im only 5`6" as such the seat is quite forward, the doors are very long and when your forward you have to open them quite wide to get out comfortably - in supermarkets or tight car parks is a scramble - not helped by me being a lardar*e as well !!!

I'd imagine it has easy entry feature so seats slide back and forth to aid, er, easy entry!!

I'd get myself a very spacious powerful diesel (E320CDI springs to mind) as a daily driver, and then the SL55 for leisure (or 65 if my budget could handle it) :).

Interesting revisiting my old post and noting Im now seeing SL55`s at the very low £20k mark - even in a dealer they have them at mid 20`s - it really is a bad time to be selling a newish big engined car

Taking a SL55 out on weds - not driven one before

I drove one on a track for my 30th a few years ago. Awesome, awesome machine, sounded like thunder. Even prefered it to a 360 which i never thought possible

Yer they sound a bit louder than the CLS probably cos they have less soundproofing ?? Im off to see a £21k 2002 one this afternoon - the sat nav screen is tiny like a mobile phone screen (slight exageration)

Non-bargins

Forget that. Wrong topic!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom