• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

If you buy only these two types then you are exempted from road tax

Seriously....you learn something new every day.

I know oil burners are more fuel efficient, produce less CO2 but is it the NOx emissions that are suposedly cancergenic. Is there other emissions from diesels that are more iffy for the environment....

I was behind a KIA 4x4 oil burner yesterday for a short distance, not very old car reg 54, I nearly choked to death. I won't do that to those behind me. Not in a million years will I get an Ibiza or polo Diesel. On second thought they are the same engine from VW anyway.:cool:

Well the G-Wiz has been on sale for a while, although it's technically a "deathtrap":

a-g-wiz-385_194528a.jpg

http://www.goingreen.co.uk/store/content/gwiz/

Cheers,

Gaz

What about when the car comes to the end of its life cycle. These electric cars have battery packs that need disposed of, do they not contain various toxic metal compounds.

One needs to look further at the materials that go into building a car, and how much energy it takes to build + import, and how easily its recycled. eg Leather seats are more eco friendly than the cloth ones as they come from natural sources

They worked out a while ago that the greenest car (if you bought into the Bull sh** carbon footprint theory) was the 4.0i Jeep Wrangler as it had very low energy costs of production, was easily recycled etc....

They worked out a while ago that the greenest car (if you bought into the Bull sh** carbon footprint theory) was the 4.0i Jeep Wrangler as it had very low energy costs of production, was easily recycled etc....

Who did.?

If I recall that was a very discredited report that said that 80% of the energy used during a cars lifetime was in it's manufacture.

This is completely the reverse of what all other manufacturers and manufacturing bodies say.

Electric car batteries are not disposed of, they are recycled.
The whole car is about 95% recyclable which is better than most regular cars.

http://www.mega-electric.co.uk/why_mega.html

Mercedes are the most recyclable regular car and they are about 95% too.

Okay, next question? I had no idea that so many materials were able to be recycled in car manufactuer. My little E220cdi is even more ecofriendly than I thought :D

Next question? In a crash will the batteries leak causing a release of the toxic chemicals into the environment.

A Prius was rated as a rather more uneco friendly car due to the import process, and the energy production costs. Are its batteries recyclable too, is it easy to recylce them?

Okay, next question? I had no idea that so many materials were able to be recycled in car manufactuer. My little E220cdi is even more ecofriendly than I thought :D

Next question? In a crash will the batteries leak causing a release of the toxic chemicals into the environment.

A Prius was rated as a rather more uneco friendly car due to the import process, and the energy production costs. Are its batteries recyclable too, is it easy to recylce them?

In order:

but still consumes a lot more energy.

No, they are embedded deep within the car's structure and are of the dry cell type.

Into the USA. What about the rest of the World, a Jeep has to be imported then.

BTW, I'm not a fan of current Hybrid cars as they use an inefficient petrol engine and don't have enough battery range, though the concept of running the engine in it's most efficient range to charge the batteries is a good idea for say diesel-electric vehicles.

There was a reason as to why we haven't yet seen a diesel hybrid, what actually was it. Having driven a Lexus RX400 it was fast and good on fuel for its type of vehicle and performance it offered, but still no more efficient if it were equiped with a diesel engine.

There was a reason as to why we haven't yet seen a diesel hybrid, what actually was it. Having driven a Lexus RX400 it was fast and good on fuel for its type of vehicle and performance it offered, but still no more efficient if it were equiped with a diesel engine.

You have to wait until 2010 for a BlueTech Hybrid. Please see MB TV.

There was a reason as to why we haven't yet seen a diesel hybrid, what actually was it. .

They were designed for the USA and Japanese markets where diesels are not used.

Forgot. Also to meet the Californian ZEV target.

I wonder if Boris will bring one in for London Town...seems very popular amongs Celeb leaders...:rolleyes: :D

Actually Arnie has been good for good-ol' Calif..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom