Improving flick key zap distance...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
with the advent of hyperbright LEDs - is it possible to remove the poxy led from the keyfob (single button type, flick out key) and replace with a hyperbright IR led?

so i dont have to press the unlock button with the bloomin' thing touching the windscreen, which sort of defeats the point...

yes - new batteries...

I miss my C class one - that did about 50'...

Sadly I'm not aware of any hyperbright IR leds. The on-axis intensity of IR leds can be improved by using a lens, but the downside is you will have to be more accurate in pointing the device. The best output IR LEDS I've come across are based on 5mm diameter devices - the 3mm ones tend to have smaller active areas and less output. Farnell do some good ones (OPE5587 for example) www.farnell.co.uk in the opto section, but Hero do the best I've come across, but they are difficult to get hold of in ones or twos. www.heroelec.co.uk
You want the best (highest) mW/Sr rating with an angle that is useable as a starting point. You can then try and optimise the current by adding/removing the curernt limiting resistance if fitted to the board, and you need to know which wavelength the receiver is 880nm or 940nm. Difficult (impossible) to tell by looking at it, but you could try a diode of each wavelength and see which works the best!

guydewdney said:
with the advent of hyperbright LEDs - is it possible to remove the poxy led from the keyfob (single button type, flick out key) and replace with a hyperbright IR led?

so i dont have to press the unlock button with the bloomin' thing touching the windscreen, which sort of defeats the point...

yes - new batteries...

I miss my C class one - that did about 50'...

If you ever get this sorted mate please let us know how!!! The W140 keys seem crap compared to the C class!!! It especially upsets me when its raining!!! :crazy:

hmmm, i don't find the W140 is all THAT bad...

still works at a good 20' if it's ponted correctly...

Have you ever tried holding the key fob to your head and pressing the button?? It bloodywell works i tell you. It gives me an extra 50' at least. Ok you might look like a complete nutter in the high street but if your key fob has a low battery it will get you into your car!!!

guydewdney said:
its IR not RF...

so unless your head is a lens then i doubt it would work ;)

Oh, i see, il get mi coat :D

Stu :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom