• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

in-car internet

cinek

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB W204 , BMW F10, GSXR LZ3
Sorry if such thread already exists,

I have a 2013 c-class with command and internet access.
When collecting the the car earlier this year, I did ask the question as 'how to make this internet connection' with the phone.
The sarcastic answer I got back was that it is simple, all I had to do is to follow on screen instructions.
As I did those before (with no results), I asked Mr. 'smart ****' to demonstrate...

After 45min of struggle, involving loads of sweat and grunts, he has announced that my phone is not compatible ( I have Iphone 5).

As Iphone is listed in the car settings menu, I asked another question why would this model be in the menu if it is not compatible??
This completely baffled the technician and he did not know how to answer it.

Can someone shed some more light into it please?
Can Iphone be connected?
Before you ask, I do have data services, and often use 'hot spot' function to connect my laptop.

Sorry if such thread already exists,

I have a 2013 c-class with command and internet access.
When collecting the the car earlier this year, I did ask the question as 'how to make this internet connection' with the phone.
The sarcastic answer I got back was that it is simple, all I had to do is to follow on screen instructions.
As I did those before (with no results), I asked Mr. 'smart ****' to demonstrate...

After 45min of struggle, involving loads of sweat and grunts, he has announced that my phone is not compatible ( I have Iphone 5).

As Iphone is listed in the car settings menu, I asked another question why would this model be in the menu if it is not compatible??
This completely baffled the technician and he did not know how to answer it.

Can someone shed some more light into it please?
Can Iphone be connected?
Before you ask, I do have data services, and often use 'hot spot' function to connect my laptop.
In Car internet is this supposed be a wireless connection in your vehicle and are you trying to connect iphone to wireless network?

Correct, I am trying to tether data off my phone and use it on car's command

I have the same issue in my E class - iPhone5 (or any iPhone) is not compatible with MB Internet because of the iPhone bluetooth protocol limitations (or something like that - I'm sure some experts can explain it better). Basically, Apple lock their bluetooth right down so it can't be used to tether with non-Apple products.

In fact, it seems there are few phones that are able to be used for internet connection in Benz's which is.....well, cr@p actually, given BMW's system has no such issues.

You need to purchase a car with telematics from this decade. MB are woefully behind the times and Comand doesnt work properly for internet with a number of phones... The fact that it doesnt work with one of the top handsets world wide is shockingly bad on their part.

Thats exactly what I found on the good old net - mercedes system is outdated and doesnt support modern data protocols.
'How bloody dare I' was the look on the salesman's face, when I suggested its the car, not the phone problem.

Hence why there is a BMW in my drive for daily use... not a Merc. W205 needs to be good. Merc need to cut the arrogance.

Hence why there is a BMW in my drive for daily use... not a Merc. W205 needs to be good. Merc need to cut the arrogance.

Agreed, although it was my local bmw dealer's arrogance that pushed me into mercedes open arms few years back.

Currently on my 4th and 5th merc and I have been rather tempted to replace the E coupe with beemer.

These things go in cycles - my mothers ( and families) first Merc was bought because the BMW dealer wouldnt thrown in an M-Tech wheel for a 3er in 1992...

From a time when we have had nearly 20 mercs in the the intervening years my old SL will be the sole remaining as of 6th March.. how long it stays depends on whether I scratch the Porker itch again....

We had E65 before, and I still catch myself daydreaming about how much I liked that car.
I always liked big barges, and between XJ, A8, 7-series and S-class I would probably go for 7 purely out of sentiment.
But then the standard spec on 7-ener is better than S class, and I must add, that I do prefer bemeer's appearance.

The 221 is magnificent... and the F01 BMW's weakest saloon right now... but the 222 could be epic if they sort the nav / net out.

The 221 is magnificent... and the F01 BMW's weakest saloon right now... but the 222 could be epic if they sort the nav / net out.

S class does score rather high points on various test/review sites.
I am just not sure I reached that s class age yet, also given it will be wife's car, I feel F01 is better suited for school runs and tesco's visits.

S class age? I was 37 when i bought mine.. not sure how old you are meant to be?

If 37 is the threshold, I have another year left :)

Looking at up to 2 years old cars, there seems to be far more choice in F01s than 221, and with lower price tag.

In other words, we shall agree to agree.
That is some conclusion, considering it elaborated from flawed internet connection on c class estate :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom