Increasing wireless signal range

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

renmure

Car
CLK 320 Cabrio, plus a few others!!
I have a netgear router for my wireless broadband. Everything works fine if I am in the same room as the router. However, its a fairly big old rambling house and the walls are thick and the actual distance between rooms is big. Is there any way to inrease the range of the wireless signal a bit so I can be a bit more flexible with where I wander? :confused:

In the next few months, there will be new technology called Wi-Max. Rather than covering a few 100 meters, the wi-max router will cover several hundred yards! But other than than, you could always knock down a wall or two? Or more the router to somewhere more central in the house

Odd though it may sound, I find that if I point the two aerials on my Netgear router towards each other at a 45degreee angle, I get much better range.

If you don't have two aerials, then I'm all out of ideas :eek:

PJ

I have a netgear router for my wireless broadband. Everything works fine if I am in the same room as the router. However, its a fairly big old rambling house and the walls are thick and the actual distance between rooms is big. Is there any way to inrease the range of the wireless signal a bit so I can be a bit more flexible with where I wander? :confused:

There are various hacks on the internet about how to increase the signal strength of a wireless router. There is a limit imposed here in the uk (forget what it is) but most routers can be forced to send out a stronger signal.

Another option that you might consider is these http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000BK87G8/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

I bought these to get my son better connectivity, and you get all the joy of a hardwired connection that you can move around, all you need is an electrical socket nearby.

I have to say that I have the 14mbps version, and they are excellent.

EDIT: Looks like Grober beat me to it as I was typing

There are various hacks on the internet about how to increase the signal strength of a wireless router. There is a limit imposed here in the uk (forget what it is) but most routers can be forced to send out a stronger signal.

DD-WRT on a Linkysys router can do this.

Support for Netgear is limited... Sky BB user by any chance....?

We had the same problem, but with computers in the ctudy and mine at the other side of the house. I spent asmall fortune on a variety of options but eventually bit the bullet and hired the services of an electrician to install a decent wired set-up. Since then perfect and I never realised just how bad my connection was (my son flannelled me, he had a much better connection) :)

Good luck
Regards
John

The limit is 100mw ERP. This makes most amplifiers and antenae illegal in the UK.

For those who need a refresher, ERP is Effective Radiated Power. This is calculated in milliwatts. If you have a 50mw transmitter connected to a 3dB gain antenna; you have 100mw ERP.

Antenae gain is calculated in dB and is logarithmic. Every 3dB gain doubles your ERP. Hence, with a 50mw transmitter:
3dB gain : 100mw
6dB gain : 200mw
9dB gain : 400mw

If you wish to "boost" your wireless, you have several options:
-Increase the strenght of the signal
-Increase the transmitters

I.e. you can either attach amplifiers (1W WiFi amps are available on eBay), larger antenae etc - but remeber that to stay legal you would need to apply for a licence BEFORE connecting the equipment.

Second option is to buya few more wireless aps/routers and distribute them around your house. These can be connected by Ethernet-over-Power boxes (basically little devices that turn a normal 220V plug into a network cable).

Sorry for the typos; I'm late for a meeting!
Michele

Could you not put wireless access points (cheap) in other locations to connect to netgear, and your laptop connects to access point

Could you not put wireless access points (cheap) in other locations to connect to netgear, and your laptop connects to access point

Treat me like an idiot here (frequently done and no offence will be taken :p ) and expand on that please. "Wireless access points'?? Does that mean effectively moving the router around with me if I go to another room at the far end f the house and plugging it in nearby or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Sorry, Access Points (AP) are basically for daisy chaining / extending the signal of wirless, ie you find the farthest location from the Netgear where the AP can lockon to it ie another room. you can then use your laptop in other location and instead of connecting directly to the netgear, you connect to the AP which connects to the netgear

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/wireless_bridge.htm

Cheers,
I will browse around for much cheapness and go for that option.
Watch this space :D

Jim

In the next few months, there will be new technology called Wi-Max. Rather than covering a few 100 meters, the wi-max router will cover several hundred yards! But other than than, you could always knock down a wall or two? Or more the router to somewhere more central in the house
Hm - I'm still trying to figure out the differnce between a few 100 meters and several hundred yards - probably no more than 1 chain. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom