Inlet manifold removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biggles1957

Car
A180 CDI Automatic
Can anyone tell me how to remove the inlet manifold on a W169 CDI A180 please? Before taking the plunge and buying a new flap motor etc I'd like to have a look and clean it. The car has only done 50,000 miles from new (2006) and I expect the majority of that has been pottering around so it's probably quite gunged up!

Can anyone tell me how to remove the inlet manifold on a W169 CDI A180 please? Before taking the plunge and buying a new flap motor etc I'd like to have a look and clean it. The car has only done 50,000 miles from new (2006) and I expect the majority of that has been pottering around so it's probably quite gunged up!

Not an easy task, I only had to get to my glowplugs and heres what I found on the same engine.

If you are having to ask people how it's done then it may be wise to pay somebody to do it.

HaHa! Basically I wanted to know if it's accessed from above or below - my son has my two post lift tied up with a Range Rover on it and because I have arthritis in my spine and a hammy left hand after being attacked by a dog a few years ago it's difficult for me to get into some places. I'm more than capable of stripping and rebuilding engines and gearboxes Scott and do a lot of work on all of my cars from two 1930's Morris's, Bentley Turbo R and Range Rover. You've rather rudely jumped to completely the wrong conclusion here mate - my question quite clearly said that I intended to remove the manifold and clean it etc so I would have thought it obvious that I had a teeny weeny bit of knowledge.....Nevertheless thank you for taking the time to reply.

INTAKE MANIFOLD MERCEDES A-KLASSE [Car] [CHASSIS] (EUROPA)
Looks as if it might be best tackled as one of these engine/ gearbox + front subframe/suspension out jobs?

B14030000348.111220.png

Many thanks Grober - this diagram is very useful. I've been stripping things down this morning and am just cleaning the very bunged up EGR valve after I've scoffed this bacon cob! I'm going to have to give up on actually getting the manifold off because I simply can't get my gammy hand down the back to get at fixings - really annoying! I had one of those hydrogen clean things done the other day before having the codes reset so with a bit of luck that will have helped a little anyway. Cleaning the EGR won't do any harm but if it does go back into limp mode because of component 55 (the flap motor jobby and or the flaps being bunged up with crud) I'll just have to take it to a garage to get it sorted. Poops! Really good thing though is that it's definitely not the gearbox that's at fault!

Just a quick update chums. Thoroughly cleaned the EGR and the sensor in the plastic tube above it - not 100% sure if that's the MAF sensor? - got it all back together and just returned from a test run.... all worked fine then after about five minutes at a steady 40mph the kick down and manual shift stopped working. 2100 rpm and in limp mode. Parked up in the garden centre and spent half an hour with SWMBO buying stuff. Driving back and everything worked as it should again! So it seems that it's taken itself out of limp mode and is working as it should.... WEIRD! My 1934 Morris Oxford is so much more straightforward! Ha ha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom