Insurance praise!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mat8n

Banned
Car
Sl63,honda crf450x, BMW x3, vespa lx50v, Honda goldwing in bits!
As some of you may know I crashed my sl350 on 30th July this year.
To cut a long story....
I phoned direct line the next time day, they told me to take it to their approved repair centre, it was written off.
I had a phone call of the assessor/valuer who discussed the value, I pointed out it had a few extras, rare colour combo etc, he said he'd phone back in 20mins.
20 minutes later he phoned back with a higher valuation which I was more than happy with.
He said to get my private plate off my car and do what you want regarding another car(fortunately I was in a position to buy another one).

So today I get ££££'s in my bank account!

No hassle, no questions, no more phone calls, no low ball offers!! Just my money.

It's took roughly 6 weeks to sort

I've never claimed before but have heard horror stories.

Direct Line is who I'm with, and it was a very basic(cheap) policy.

Very happy and impressed.

Well done. But what if you weren't in the position to outlay for another car? I thought that's what insurance was for?

If I crashed mine, I'd want money to buy another one much sooner than 6 weeks as I wouldn't be able to afford to shell out over 10k to replace it like for like.

It's nice they didn't try to dispute and get out of paying though.

It will affect your future premiums though!

I'm protected ncb so not sure how it will affect my future premiums.
Yes if you couldn't splash out it would be a different matter, but it was more to do with the no hassle, no haggle situation.

I took out a cheap no courtesy car policy, cheap as cheap can get because I don't 'need' my car, I dare say if you took a better policy you would get a loan car for the interim and they would hurry up the pay out?

I'm protected ncb so not sure how it will affect my future premiums.

Maybe not while you're with your current insurer, but if you shop around when your next renewal is due you'll have to declare the accident & total loss claim. This will increase the quotes ... just not as much as if your NCD had gone down as well.

Even if you have full ncd and a non fault claim they put the premium up

Glad they came up trumps with a decent offer :thumb:

c6 weeks between acceptance of offer and funding seems quite a while though. Was there any reason?

Also you have to declare on all other policies.... inc. house insurance now sometimes.

But still a couple of hundred quid over the next 5 years in increased premiums is nothing compared to losing a car worth £10k or more.

It was 6 weeks from the accident to payment..

I didn't hassle them for the money, I just made the original accident call then the assessor called me, then money.

I think if I'dpestered tthey'd have paid up quicker.

With regards too increased premiums... yes, but it is what it is. I.e., it can't be avoided regardless of what policy you have or who you are insured with. Unless you decide not to claim, obviously...

This was my experience. I was driving wife's car when a lorry cut me up and took out the front wing, bumper, mirror etc. She ventually got paid out after 9 months, with the third party accepting responsibility, BUT as a named driver on my wife's policy AND on my own policy, we now have to declare a non-fault claim. I've checked doing qoutes with and without the 'non-fault' claim and found both our premiums have increased, mine to the tune of around £100-200, PLUS the number of companies willing to qoute is significantly reduced when the non-fault claim is added to the qoute.

Clearly my insurers have been informed, otherwise it would be fraud, but as a check of the way insurers qoute i do find it disgraceful that they effectively make me responsible and fine me for a 5 year period, for another drivers incompetence.

Just renewed with direct line.

All the compare sites were wanting £410+

Direct line did it for £360(£100 more than last year after my claim).

I'm still pleased with there service, you can speak to someone and sort it out over the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom