intake manifolds, oil cooler seals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I take the approach that anything electronic related to the engine gets replaced with either Merc parts or OEM where is van be identified. So Bosch for loads of sensors and Pierburg for motors often.

Glad this is hopefully over. You must be chuffed!
The grin was large, still is.

Update:

Not a single issue to report I am afraid, MOT on the 14th Jan, I will give everythign a quick check and clean over before as usual.

Still pulling like a freight train and the grin is still large ;)

Great stuff. I do wonder - let’s say MB or even an indie is going to do the oil cooler seals. They remove the EGR pipe, throttle body and can see the intake manifold.

What’s their policy for cleaning any of that out? Are they really going to ignore all the crud in each inlet hole?

I find it mad to think that they wouldn't, but I simply can’t see them taking any time to do any ‘cleaning’. I hope they’d at least change the seals….?!

(MB did my oil cooler seals before I owned the car and I’m wondering what the state of the inside of my engine is like! I still want to check out that EGR pipe and throttle body)

Great stuff. I do wonder - let’s say MB or even an indie is going to do the oil cooler seals. They remove the EGR pipe, throttle body and can see the intake manifold.

What’s their policy for cleaning any of that out? Are they really going to ignore all the crud in each inlet hole?

I find it mad to think that they wouldn't, but I simply can’t see them taking any time to do any ‘cleaning’. I hope they’d at least change the seals….?!

(MB did my oil cooler seals before I owned the car and I’m wondering what the state of the inside of my engine is like! I still want to check out that EGR pipe and throttle body)
they just replace the manifolds etc, they dont clean anything however, Mercedes do have a tune up valve cleaning grnular system 13400DC for when the inlet manifolds are off. Linky poo here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Update:

Mot Friday.... Passed

That is all ;)

they just replace the manifolds etc, they dont clean anything however, Mercedes do have a tune up valve cleaning grnular system 13400DC for when the inlet manifolds are off. Linky poo here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You mean they just replace the dirty ones back in the car, right?

Update:

Mot Friday.... Passed

That is all ;)

Great!!

You mean they just replace the dirty ones back in the car, right?

Great!!
nope they fit brand new one's for you, they dont clean the inlet manifolds, just fit new if you are ahving the inlet manifolds taken off that is, otherwise they dont do anything. Why would they? they would advise that there is build up and reccomend replacement parts, thats where the money is, the new part and labour.

So you reckon if MB did my oil cooler seals then I’d have new, clean inlet manifolds? Seems too good to be true 😲

Not too good to be true at all. It is what they would recommend. It is just that your wallet will be a few k lighter.

Well I have a bill for a couple of grand for the job done at MB by the previous owner… probably 4+ years ago now. I’ll have to revisit it to check the details

In for a 3000 mile oil change next week, doing the front disc's and pads this weekend also checking the back pressure sensor may give it a clean if it needs it. Ordering correct "buckskin " colour dye for the steering wheel so will do a write up on cleaning and re dying that.

Wow-what a great thread!
My oil cooler seals were replaced way back in 2019 @ 110k - the indy told me there was a lot of gunk on the inlet manifolds then!
Makes me wonder what they are like now @ 161K.

Is there an easy way of cleaning that doesn't require them to come off - any additives that can be used?

Wow-what a great thread!
My oil cooler seals were replaced way back in 2019 @ 110k - the indy told me there was a lot of gunk on the inlet manifolds then!
Makes me wonder what they are like now @ 161K.

Is there an easy way of cleaning that doesn't require them to come off - any additives that can be used?
Afraid not. They will be well gunned up with heavy carbon and oil deposits, then baked on and dried out a bit over 10,000s miles.

Uncle Buck used a good method with Mr Muscle and the pressure washer (and eye protection). I found cheap carb cleaner, old tooth brushes and bendy bottle brushes worked well. Not a two minute job to clean them well!

Afraid not. They will be well gunned up with heavy carbon and oil deposits, then baked on and dried out a bit over 10,000s miles.

Uncle Buck used a good method with Mr Muscle and the pressure washer (and eye protection). I found cheap carb cleaner, old tooth brushes and bendy bottle brushes worked well. Not a two minute job to clean them well!
Is it complicated to remove them and what will be the gain from doing so?
UB posts above look very complicated to a novice like me.
Thanks

Is it complicated to remove them and what will be the gain from doing so?
UB posts above look very complicated to a novice like me.
Thanks
Yes, pretty involved. You would need to plan the job, work out what needs to be removed, all the bolts and gaskets that should be replaced.
This is the reason the time to look at this job is when the oil cooler seals need to be replaced, as the intake manifolds need to come off anyway.

To make this easy for me, I paid and independent to replace my oil cooler seals, but I arranged with them in advance about me buying some low mileage good condition intakes that I clean and refurbed, and handed to them as part of the job, so they could take my older intakes off and just refit clean ones.
Then I sold my older intakes once I'd cleaned them all up to get some cash back.
I think doing it this way was something like £350 for the newer ones from ebay, and then around £200 I think I sold them for. But I have got a spare thermostat out of the original one that I'm keeping on the shelf.

A commercial garage won't want you to take the manifolds away to clean them because that means they can't finish the job in a day and ties up their ramp (and money earning potential). Hence Uncle Buck did the whole job himself.

Benefits? Probably better air flow in the manifolds. I know the amount of gunk that can build up can cause the swirl flaps to jam and bend and potentially break. The swirl flaps are intended to cause more turbulence at low air intake speeds (low RPM) and thus create better air mixing. Stuck swirl flaps can also damage the swirl flap linkage and swirl flap motor (also pictured in my old for sale thread linked above).

Yes, pretty involved. You would need to plan the job, work out what needs to be removed, all the bolts and gaskets that should be replaced.
This is the reason the time to look at this job is when the oil cooler seals need to be replaced, as the intake manifolds need to come off anyway.

To make this easy for me, I paid and independent to replace my oil cooler seals, but I arranged with them in advance about me buying some low mileage good condition intakes that I clean and refurbed, and handed to them as part of the job, so they could take my older intakes off and just refit clean ones.
Then I sold my older intakes once I'd cleaned them all up to get some cash back.
I think doing it this way was something like £350 for the newer ones from ebay, and then around £200 I think I sold them for. But I have got a spare thermostat out of the original one that I'm keeping on the shelf.

A commercial garage won't want you to take the manifolds away to clean them because that means they can't finish the job in a day and ties up their ramp (and money earning potential). Hence Uncle Buck did the whole job himself.

Benefits? Probably better air flow in the manifolds. I know the amount of gunk that can build up can cause the swirl flaps to jam and bend and potentially break. The swirl flaps are intended to cause more turbulence at low air intake speeds (low RPM) and thus create better air mixing. Stuck swirl flaps can also damage the swirl flap linkage and swirl flap motor (also pictured in my old for sale thread linked above).
Thanks for the comprehensive reply MrG. I may just do the mod with the resistor if it's possible on my intake to prevent any issues down the line..

I am by no means a mechanic, I spent ages reading up on the work required, i bought the tools i would need and then using the epc got all the gaskets, bolts, seals etc that i would need.

I also watched a couple of you tube videos, one was from a german guy who i got in touch with and we had a grat conversation about things as he had done his.

The carbon build up was really bad in mine also two of the swirl flaps had slightly bent because they couldnt close properly when pulled by the swirl flap arms, this is what causes tehm to stretch and need replacing. I am waiting for summer to come around as I will be taking it all off again and also having the valve chambers cleaned out so it will be totally cleaned when it goes back together, The autobox will also have fresh oil again shortly and the new intercooler will be fitted as well.

Its all good to be honest, but getting the manifolds off and cleaning them up was a really reassuring job for me ( it was very cold at the time though!!) and I learned a lot whilst doing it.

The oil change is being done next friday at the place that mot's it for me, the only reason I am not doing it is because of work and the fact, there is no way you can read that fkn useless orange plastic tip at the end of the damn dipstick, it smears all over everytime i try to read it taking it out.

I am by no means a mechanic, I spent ages reading up on the work required, i bought the tools i would need and then using the epc got all the gaskets, bolts, seals etc that i would need.

I also watched a couple of you tube videos, one was from a german guy who i got in touch with and we had a grat conversation about things as he had done his.

The carbon build up was really bad in mine also two of the swirl flaps had slightly bent because they couldnt close properly when pulled by the swirl flap arms, this is what causes tehm to stretch and need replacing. I am waiting for summer to come around as I will be taking it all off again and also having the valve chambers cleaned out so it will be totally cleaned when it goes back together, The autobox will also have fresh oil again shortly and the new intercooler will be fitted as well.

Its all good to be honest, but getting the manifolds off and cleaning them up was a really reassuring job for me ( it was very cold at the time though!!) and I learned a lot whilst doing it.

The oil change is being done next friday at the place that mot's it for me, the only reason I am not doing it is because of work and the fact, there is no way you can read that fkn useless orange plastic tip at the end of the damn dipstick, it smears all over everytime i try to read it taking it out.
You are a ”mechanic “ now buddy !

Oil and filter change in the morning , ;) some nice new blood for the motor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom