Intelligent Light System

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dad4geer

Car
W204 C180 AMG Sport
Yes I am sure this must have been asked many times but I'd appreciate if someone (in simple words) can explain the settings for UK...

I have tried to read the manual but it's not clear. Just tonight I went for a quick drive on a quite dark B road (one-way) and I noticed the road got well lit but when I observed an on-coming vehicle I did not see any change in the beam direction at all.. I thought it could be me so few more cars went passed me and then the next few started flashing their high beam on me obviously getting irritated by my headlamps?

I got back home, checked the settings and found there is an option 'dipped beams settings for: ' and it was set to 'left-side traffic' .. In UK we have right-side traffic isn't it so I changed it to 'right-side traffic' ...but after that I notced 'intell. Light system' showing as 'System inoperative' (inactive for right-side traffic) ... Is this normal? I have not tested it yet as I did not go for a drive but do you guys think this is how it should be set? If someone can share what their settings then that would be great... Please see attached images if you want to see what is currently set in my car... :dk:

Attachments

• IMG_0262.JPG
    IMG_0262.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0263.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 130
I see you have a 204. My car is a 205 with the ILS but I assume the left/ right side settings will mean the same. The correct setting in U.K. Is left side traffic as that's the side we drive on. When I drive in Europe I select right side traffic. My instruction book informs me that features such as auto main beam are inoperative in this setting.
I have found the ILS system to be very reliable on both my current C Class and my previous E Coupe. I was so impressed with it on the coupe that it went on to my must have option list despite the price tag when added as an option. I have not had a single flash from oncoming traffic. It's excellent on motorways an B roads. If you continue to have concerns when in the left traffic setting it would be worth getting a dealer to check out the system.

Thanks for your feedback. I thought that right-side traffic means the on-coming vehicles they are on our right side isn't it? It was set to left-side traffic and it is when I had issues. So you think left-side traffic is correct setting? Thanks

Just had another thought about settings. Make sure the light control knob is in auto and the multifunction stalk is pushed forward. Wth these set green warning lights and a white A show on the dash when the system lights up. As you speed up a blue light symbol will show with main beam. Main beam will not come on in areas lit by street lights or at low speeds. On the newer LED systems the main beam remains on even behind other cars but cells shutter off the light that would blind others. The effect is very dramatic on motorways late at night when you light up either side of the car in front but not the rear of the car. The system keeps the main beam on but cuts the pattern when traffic comes towards you.

Just had another thought about settings. Make sure the light control knob is in auto and the multifunction stalk is pushed forward. Wth these set green warning lights and a white A show on the dash when the system lights up. As you speed up a blue light symbol will show with main beam. Main beam will not come on in areas lit by street lights or at low speeds. On the newer LED systems the main beam remains on even behind other cars but cells shutter off the light that would blind others. The effect is very dramatic on motorways late at night when you light up either side of the car in front but not the rear of the car. The system keeps the main beam on but cuts the pattern when traffic comes towards you.

I think that was the catch...my light control knob is set to Auto that is fine but the stalk is pushed backward, I did pushed it forward and saw a white A in the dash and thought to myself that maybe I turned on high beam so pushed the stalk backward and since then I have been driving like this...

So I need to change the setting for 'dipped beam' back to 'left-side traffic' and push the stalk switch forward so that I see that A sysmbol in dash board. Question, how would it behave during day-time?

I have just gone back and checked that stalk position, this is how it should be like right?

Attachments

• Adaptive.JPG
    Adaptive.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 139
Yes stalk pushed forward, lights on auto, and left hand traffic is correct. During the day time your main beam (and full beam) will remain off. Without the stalk pushed forward the ILS won't do it's thing.

When it's dark your main beam will come on (auto lights) and when the conditions are met your full beam will come on (at speed without street lights and oncoming traffic.

In the UK we drive on the left hand side of the road.

You have obviously never driven in Newham then.

I have the ILS on my E Coupe which I like very much, but there are occasions when I do get flashed by on coming traffic when using the ILS .

I have the ILS on my E Coupe which I like very much, but there are occasions when I do get flashed by on coming traffic when using the ILS .

Then it is entirely possible that maybe my ILS is doing its thing but still people are not happy with it. I have changed the stalk position forward and this morning (as it was quite wet and dark) I think my main beam came on as I noticed the green light icon in my dashboard and also saw that white A symbol. I will test it again tonight.. :(

Last edited:
I have changed the stalk position forward and this morning (as it was quite wet and dark) I think my main beam came on as I noticed the green light icon in my dashboard and also saw that white A symbol. I will test it again tonight.. :(
The green lamp symbol mean that the headlamps are on (good) and the white A symbol means that Main Beam Assist is on (also good). When the lights automatically switch to main beam, you will also see the blue main beam warning lamp come on.

You should be able to see your light pattern doing all sorts of aerobics when active. It does a great job of lighting everything and blanking out the space cars are occupying. It's a great system.

Agreed - when it works, you will know by the show it gives off. Note that in lit areas it has the intelligence to know that there are street lamps, and it defaults to dipped - so a dark unlit road with traffic ahead of you is a great way to test as you will see from the hedge/verge the lamps changing the "framing" of the vehicle ahead as you get nearer - stalk forward, blue light on - lights will start to shutter in square frames

You only get the "framing" effect if the car has the LED version of the ILS; the earlier xenon version just dynamically adjusts the light throw on main beam, and swivels with the steering.

You only get the "framing" effect if the car has the LED version of the ILS; the earlier xenon version just dynamically adjusts the light throw on main beam, and swivels with the steering.

Which you think my 2012 W204 would not have?

I will go for a test drive tonight just to see how this is all working now that my wiper stalk is pushed away.

The LED ILS on my GLC occasionally results in the odd light flash. When I was getting a runover the controls during handover, the sales guy did say that it can occasionally be fooled when there is an incline/decline (can't remember which one) between you and the oncoming car.

Overall, I thing it's a fabulous feature.

dad4geer said:
Which you think my 2012 W204 would not have?
I believe the ILS on the W204 is xenons.

tangey said:
the sales guy did say that it can occasionally be fooled when there is an incline/decline (can't remember which one).
In my experience it gets it wrong when the vehicle in front is positioned below my car in the sense that the top of the dip beam cut-off for normal headlamps would be too high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom