Is a gearbox filter service worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think 7G+ also has stop start (whether it works or not).
Beaten to it...

I don't have start stop but I do have the 7g+

Sorry, always one throwing the spanners into the works

Best way to check is to put your VIN into a data card site like lastvin.com, and check the gearbox number there.

The 7g is red atf , I think the 7g is blue fluid . Try a website like Opie Oils , they have a search facility on your number plate . Look up the atf for your car ?
What colour fluid is the 7g+ ?

I believe if you have stop start its the 7g+ 722.9 gearbox. Transmission oil 236.15, blue in colour.
Opie Oils website lists Blue and Red colour oil for the 722.9 gearbox

I use the mantra

"If in doubt, buy from Merc"

It's not failed me yet

Edit: for clarification, that's for parts, not cars

Opie Oils website lists Blue and Red colour oil for the 722.9 gearbox

Very confusing, just had a look at Opie Oils and they also say I can use 236.16 and 236.17 transmission fluid, don't know if that's better than 236.15 ?

I was under the impression 7G+ oil was slightly thinner, so that when stop/start was operated, the small electric pump kept oil recirculation through the transmission.

I have the 722.9 trans with stop /start in my 2014 E Class 220 CDI,and the correct fluid is 236.15, color blue. Hereunder is what I have ordered ( and received ) Note that the fluid I bought was on offer,€133.00 20 Ltrs , delivered. Works out @€6.70 per litre, with a good quantity remaining for a future change. I calculate that I will use 10/11 Ltrs in a complete change,,inc, TC and cooling radiator and pipes. The remaining items listed were all part of the Meyle Kit @ €75 delivered. As I plan on doing it myself, I can't put a labour figure on the job, but for anyone contemplating doing the job ( or getting it done ) consider the parts costs, and subtract that from any quotes you may get........ In other words, beware of any quotes less than £350/ 400 for a complete change and flush in the 722.9 trans.

Item Name
Manufacturer
Part Nr,
Qty
Cost €
Auto Trans Fluid​
Fuchs Titan ATF 7134 FE
A600868611​
Oil Filter​
Meyle Kit
A2222772000​
Pan Gasket​
Meyle
A2202710380​
Copper Washer​
Meyle
N007603012102​
Pan Bolts x 6​
Meyle
A004 990 35 12​
Overflow Pipe​
Meyle
A2222710097​

Had my gearbox serviced on my 7G+ at PCS in Horndean last week. Only 35k miles since last service but 5 years so due on time.

I can definitely detect smoother shifts in low gears, particularly when cold.

Something like £200, but was part of other stuff done so don't have the breakdown in front of me.

I can highly recommend PCS, and I drove the 3 hours each way from the Midlands to specifically make the trip. A long way, but worth it in my view.

Had my gearbox serviced on my 7G+ at PCS in Horndean last week. Only 35k miles since last service but 5 years so due on time.

I can definitely detect smoother shifts in low gears, particularly when cold.

Something like £200, but was part of other stuff done so don't have the breakdown in front of me.

I can highly recommend PCS, and I drove the 3 hours each way from the Midlands to specifically make the trip. A long way, but worth it in my view.
€200? Definitely a bargain...as you can see from my post, where I listed the parts and prices. Even allowing for the purchase of 20 litres of ATF for €133, say €66 for 10 ltrs, and the Meyle Kit for €75. = €141.

€200? Definitely a bargain...as you can see from my post, where I listed the parts and prices. Even allowing for the purchase of 20 litres of ATF for €133, say €66 for 10 ltrs, and the Meyle Kit for €75. = €141.
I wonder what make of ATF they used as well as filter and draining of the TC ?
The kits I have priced are around £150 using approved 236.15 ATF, unless you can get away with just 8 litres.

The kits I have priced are around £150 using approved 236.15 ATF, unless you can get away with just 8 litres.

It might have been a bit over £200, but in that ball park. There might be different prices for different gearboxes and the amount of work/fluid required? Contact them for a price if you are interested.

Olly at PCS did the 'how to' guide on this forum for gearbox service

When I was speaking to Olly, he said they only use genuine Merc parts (and I'm assuming fluids) as they get the 2 year warranty and it's just not worth their time finding anything else. If they order from Merc, they know it's right.
If you look at the photos in the How To guide linked, you will see the ATF in Merc bottles, so given those two pieces of information, I have no reason to think they use anything else.

It might have been a bit over £200, but in that ball park. There might be different prices for different gearboxes and the amount of work/fluid required? Contact them for a price if you are interested.

When I was speaking to Olly, he said they only use genuine Merc parts (and I'm assuming fluids) as they get the 2 year warranty and it's just not worth their time finding anything else. If they order from Merc, they know it's right.
If you look at the photos in the How To guide linked, you will see the ATF in Merc bottles, so given those two pieces of information, I have no reason to think they use anything else.
Yes I did see that link, that was for a 722.6 transmission, ours is a 722.9 and a little more tricky to do. great price though.

Yes, when I bought my first MB ( 2010 E class E200 w212 CDI, 722.6 Transmission ) BlackC55 were the instructions that I followed...to the Letter !!! And all worked out 100%. Thank's BlackC55, now I am planning on changing all the fluids ( inc Transmission ) on my latest purchase ( since 10 weeks or so ) 2014 E class 220 w212 722.9 Trans. While it will basically be the same job, with a few alterations due to it being start / stop for one, and having a completely different refilling procedure. Everything that I use will be MB approved, if not actual MB supplied, As MB don't manufacture any fluids or lubricating products themselves,they have their own suppliers , and I think Fuchs are one of those supliers ( not 100% certain) but once its approved by MB, who am I to argue? For better pricing, W1ghty is usually on the ball ( I made this discovery after sourcing and purchasing the parts I needed.....!!!!!! )

In the 722.9 trans, its possible to treat it the same as an engine oil change, because you can drain the TC via a drain stud, same as the sump. So you open both, drop the trans sump allow to fully drain, remove / replace the filter and sump pan, etc. then you will know the exact amount you have drained, and in this case, 8 / 9 ltrs may be enough. You then replace the drained fluid with the exact amount, start it up, and check the level at the proper temp etc. But ( there is always a "BUT" :) ) this does not take into account changing the fluid in the cooling radiator or feed pipes, which conservately will take at least 1-1.5 ltrs, which is not a lot but ( note again the annoying BUT) the cooling radiator and pipes have to be flushed out, and this involves pumping fresh fluid in until all the old fluid is gone, and new fluid is visible. So this will take a few more litres. The option might to drain the cooling radiator via opening both pipes or possibly a bolt on the radiator itself but as I've never done it I can't say. Maybe some one on the forum has done it this way?? Normally after opening one cooling drain pipe, you use the transmission to pump out the radiator. Doing the change in my 722.6 trans, I used slightly more than 11 lires.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom