• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Is jump starting to be avoided if poss?

Jukie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MY11 E350 CDi Avantgarde
Mum's car ('99 C220CDi auto) is dead this morning but the battery seems ok (lights, horn, etc). As soon as you try to turn it over, there's a slight click and that's it. The glow plug light comes back on.

When she comes back from the hairdressers (!) in mine, I was thinking of trying to jump it in case the battery is dead/dying. What damage could a jump start do to any of the control units or anything else?

TIA, David

Not sure on the C Class, but on the E class under the bonnet is a live terminal for jumpstarting, the battery is under the rear seat so not easilly accessed

**BUMP**

If I need to replace the battery, should I go for an MB branded @£120 or a calcium HCB battery fom Hellfords for £75?

Also, I guess the problem might be something as simple as a fuel relay. What should I look/listen for?

I'd buy from Hellfrauds on the grounds they will probably offer you a better warranty, they are almost guaranteed to be more local than your dealers should you need a replacement, the MB branded battery will not be made by Mercedes and will only be built to the same standards as the Halfords one and the fifty quid you save would be better in your pocket than your dealerships tills.

Andy

The halfords batteries can be utter crap.

Someone on another forum I frequent fitted 3 halfords batteries in a row, all of them failed within a month - under the battery warranty he got his money back and fitted a ford battery. Its still fine 2 years on.

That said, I've always bought bosch batteries because I get them cheap at costco. No trouble with them.

Robby said:
The halfords batteries can be utter crap.

Oh I dont know mate, I have a Hellfrauds Battery and have been using it for 2 years now with no problem

2 Halfords batteries and they both failed as soon as the weather got cold and they had to do some real work. I fitted the exact one recommended in their reference book but it now transpires that it is under-rated for the job (650 CCA instead of the recommended 880 CCA). I didn't think to check. Halfords batteries seem OK for smaller petrol engines but they aren't up to weightier tasks. I should have known - it was about 2/3 the length of the original battery.
I recommend you check the rating (esp cold cranking amps - CCA) if it matches then I would risk a Halford battery (good warranty and they honour it without quibble).

Back on topic: there is nothing wrong with jump starting, if you follow the procedure. MB must also think it is OK because there are instructions for it in the owner handbook.

Dont by a Halfords battery, you will get a the same quality at your local motor factors at half the money and a two year warranty.

i was told

if you jump start the car leave the terminals connected for about 5 min don't just unhuck ....as this can cause problems with the E.C.U...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom