Is this A140 worth buying?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

expat

Car
1994 C250D Saloon
Hi,

I'm looking at a 2001, A140 with 89k miles. Manual transmission. Two owner. Current owner is moving to Rome to take a teaching position. In fact he's been abroad so much lately that he only put about 1,000 miles on the car in the last year.

So it is in good shape and while he's got it listed for 1,000 euro his time constraints have made him very flexible.

I'm buying for my 18 y/o daughter because it has air bags and seems safer than most of the tin cans zooming around Ireland.

Now, my mechanic says he wouldn't take one of these cars on a bet. Calls them a 'bucket of bolts' and says they are 'not a real Mercedes'. But I'm thinking that if we work the price down a few hundred quid, even if I only get 10k or 20k out of it its not a bad deal. He says one big problem is that the airflow sensor often goes and you can't fit a used one as they are keyed to the car's serial number. Says this is a £1,000 fix. Is that true? Is there a way to trick the system if it does go?

He also says these cars have their starter motor go a lot and you just about have to pull the engine to replace it. True also?

You folks with A-series experience please let me know what you think. Give it a pass or give it a go?

Last edited:
Not sure if the above is true but a €1000 Ford Focus sound a better bet and it will have airbags also.

My mother in law had the exact same car on an 02 plate, Had it five years and it never missed a beat so can't say if spares are expensive or not.
I didn't like it to drive if I'm honest, felt it was going to tip over around corners.

Although it was 100% reliable its not the car I would buy for £1000.

^^^^^^ WHOT HE SAID.
See Albert Rowe, Lofty's homepage, Index 'Mercedxes Benz 'A' Class w168,

the combined engine ECU and MAF assembly that required to be coded to the car.
Combined%20ECM.MAS%20in%20situ.JPG

starter motor located at the rear of the engine
L-engine-from-rear.JPG

Last edited:
The maf sensor/ecu can be repaired. A company called ECU testing fixed mine for about £150 (this was a couple of years ago, the cost may have gone up since).

The starter can be replaced without lowering the engine. Still not a pleasant task though..

I will go its not a real mercedes. If it were one of the brand new a classes i would say go for it but no then poxy things

A140

My wife had one from six months old in 2004 - never missed a beat in 40 ish k and nine years until the chain slipped and wiped out the engine - Instant Scrap! She loved it and it was superb for camping trips - four of us, a NINE berth tent and associated gear - like a tardis!

I will go its not a real mercedes. If it were one of the brand new a classes i would say go for it but no then poxy things

Made in Germany at a Mercedes factory.

Unlike a lot of other "Mercs".

Looked at the A class for my son, who is a keen rower. He needed a car capable of seating five "big lads," and their (smelly) rowing kit. Contenders were the A160, Focus, and Golf with a budget of £3k.

The Focus won by a country mile for condition, build quality, drivability, and ease of maintenance - at that price point.

Personally, I've always loved the 2001 A140/A160, having driven dozens of them when when Easycar had them as rental cars in 2001.
BUT - when you're paying petty cash for a car it's ALWAYS about the mileage and servicing record of the individual car.

Personally, with daughter on board, I'd always want to be certain that it's safe and reliable.

TBH I think a 2006, 50k mile car would be another grand or two well spent. You'll get most of it back when you sell the car. At the €1000 price point, you're just getting a car that hasn't been scrapped yet.

Last edited:
I will chip in withe the R word as well (crusty edges to doors)

Family had them, really practical spaces but the potential for costs, rust and lack of resale would make me look at others, sad to say.

Friend put his son in an old n/a Saab 900. You could think along similar (solid) lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom