Is this s65 worth the price

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This was one of the cars that I considered when I started to look intO buying an S Class. This was back in February 2017. This was then priced at £ 30975. Priced reduced in 7/5/17 to £29995. When I had another look in August this year it was still for sale at £27495. Reduced to the current price on the 30/8/18. The Black Book price then was £ 23094. So that is the ball park number you should look at. The VIN no. is WDD2211792A256911

Struggle to imagine that it can sell at that price. It's a curious combination of AMG and limousine.

A friend bought a 2008 S600 last year, with half the mileage, tasteful bodywork and full nappa leather interior, one owner, immaculate with full MB history, albeit a couple of missing stamps that he was able to confirm by contacting the MB dealership. Paid £18k, from memory. Which seemed a fair price for a one owner car with only 40k on the clock (and recently renewed coil packs)

But it's a different proposition to be driving an ultra powerful, ultra silent and smooth Bentley-Beater like the S600, than to be hooning down the M4 in an AMG S600.

rare find. how did he find it.

The locals.

hahaha

I only drive S classes and totally disagree with you

Unfortunately, he's right. Mercedes Benz put the most tech in their S class and it usually gets it before any other models so when you buy one, you're on the bleeding edge. I don't know anything about the W221 but I've owned just about every other top of the range S Class Mercedes Benz from the W108 onward (6.3, 6.9, 560SEL, S55 / CL65 etc). Working on a 300SEL 6.3 vs 6 cylinder 280SE is a giant pain because there's no access to get to a minor job unless you take 1/2 the frigging car apart.

That's a 50 year old car. Now add ABC or Airmatic, two turbos, a V12, oil coolers and inter-cooler piping and all the other stuff under the hood and you could be talking about jobs that take several days to complete vs a few hours. None of which you'd be dealing with if you bought say an S350 or an E class.

Parts and labor on a 10 year old S65 for $20k is going to be exactly the same as the parts and labor for a new one which costs $200k and parts for a low volume model are going to be exponentially higher than those for a high volume car.

Unfortunately, he's right. Mercedes Benz put the most tech in their S class and it usually gets it before any other models so when you buy one, you're on the bleeding edge. I don't know anything about the W221 but I've owned just about every other top of the range S Class Mercedes Benz from the W108 onward (6.3, 6.9, 560SEL, S55 / CL65 etc). Working on a 300SEL 6.3 vs 6 cylinder 280SE is a giant pain because there's no access to get to a minor job unless you take 1/2 the frigging car apart.

That's a 50 year old car. Now add ABC or Airmatic, two turbos, a V12, oil coolers and inter-cooler piping and all the other stuff under the hood and you could be talking about jobs that take several days to complete vs a few hours. None of which you'd be dealing with if you bought say an S350 or an E class.

Parts and labor on a 10 year old S65 for $20k is going to be exactly the same as the parts and labor for a new one which costs $200k and parts for a low volume model are going to be exponentially higher than those for a high volume car.

Still won't agree totally
Its only bad maintenance over years in my opinion
I hate add saying it is a 10 year old car, don't expect a new one. It is how we take care of cars.....cheekily we can quote we look how we eat, how we take care of ourselves.
My S class is mint and it is a 2007 model. Yes it is s350 but got more toys then most s500's
Also I believe cause all reasons mentioned these great cars are highly underrated when it comes to reliability and these days they just do not sale.
My opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still won't agree totally
Its only bad maintenance over years in my opinion
I hate add saying it is a 10 year old car, don't expect a new one. It is how we take care of cars.....cheekily we can quote we look how we eat, how we take care of ourselves.
My S class is mint and it is a 2007 model. Yes it is s350 but got more toys then most s500's
Also I believe cause all reasons mentioned these great cars are highly underrated when it comes to reliability and these days they just do not sale.
My opinion

Apples to oranges, the S350 is the base model with the small engine in a big body making servicing easy. Replacing turbo o-rings on an S65 is an engine out job. 50 pence for the O-Ring , 5000GBP to pull the engine out and put it back in. They might look alike, but underneath, the S65 is far more complex.

rare find. how did he find it.

I found it for him - I had a search running on Autotrader - and mentioned it to him. He wasn’t looking for one specifically, but it was too good to miss.

It was a dealer near Burnley - again an odd location but out of town and land is cheap around these Northern towns.

Apples to oranges, the S350 is the base model with the small engine in a big body making servicing easy. Replacing turbo o-rings on an S65 is an engine out job. 50 pence for the O-Ring , 5000GBP to pull the engine out and put it back in. They might look alike, but underneath, the S65 is far more complex.

Thought we are dismissing whole w221 range
5000 hmmm where this figure came from? Was sure that even dealer charge for this operation is 25hours on the books

If you pay someone to a job like that and get out for under 5k, you'll be lucky.

See my thread on the SLK; it's a good 'un. So's the SL500, and the E63, come to think of it. Luck no longer comes in to it (much)...

Until the next old clunker.:D

I can't see a price anywhere on that ad unless I am missing something.

What is / was it?

Value is a subjective thing bear in mind... people can only tell you whether they think it is worth the money it is up for but it's really down to what you are willing to pay for it.

The price is 34K. Being its 2010 and mileage and what the car features it comes with. Im not sure what these cars should have optional extras etc. is it worth this price tag.

The Designo stuff is additional.

In terms of options, from what I've seen in the past, the highest model the cost of the options isn't so bad because you get a lot of kit as standard which offsets the cost of the options.

The owner bought it from a prestige non-franchised dealer so probably paid a princely sum for it for the provenance.

Personally, I think £34k is a bit rich and it's probably closer to mid/late 20s bearing in mind it is coming up to 10 years old and these are not cheap cars to run.

I tried to see if they would budge on price. Don't think they will. Still need to sell mines before i buy. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom