• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

jaguar active steering.

recycled

MB Enthusiast
Car
c class
please tell me i am wrong. hearing a rumour about an experimental steering jaguar is bringing out. very soft and direct at low speeds to enable parking and city driving.Nothing new there
Very firm at high motorway speeds but the difference is that it absolutely will not turn sharply at high speeds to prevent sudden roll over .
Imagine if you come off the motorway at 70mph and are heading straight for an oak tree . my steering would not turn AAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

Sounds like speed sensetive steering. Standard on a number of MB.
All it does is reduce the assistance as speed builds, but it can't actually stop you turning the wheel.
Mind you it is a Ford..

It could be like the BMW system - less turns lock to lock at parking speeds. Popular in the States less so here. It varies the amount of lock by a motor providing extra turn, not to be confused with variable sensitivity this actually electronically alters the steering wheel to road wheel turn ratio.

Mike

Don't know whether I like the idea of so called 'intelligent steering'. That is nearly as bad as 'intelligent brakes'

I want to manually be able to steer my car where and when I want - same with braking - Doh!

It could be like the BMW system - less turns lock to lock at parking speeds. Popular in the States less so here. It varies the amount of lock by a motor providing extra turn, not to be confused with variable sensitivity this actually electronically alters the steering wheel to road wheel turn ratio.

Mike

How does that work given there has to be a mechanical link all the way from steering wheel to road wheels.
I've known of cars with variable rack rates but not a complete disconnection.:crazy:

How does that work given there has to be a mechanical link all the way from steering wheel to road wheels.
I've known of cars with variable rack rates but not a complete disconnection.:crazy:

Too tech for me so I quote - can't remember the source, however to think of it simply imagine an auto gearbox - as you know that has a mechanical link and wouldn't be much good with a single ratio.

"Active Steering is an optional system that enhances steering precision, agility and driving comfort. An auxiliary electric motor modifies the steering angle as a function of road speed. At higher speeds, Active Steering makes it easier to keep the 5 Series comfortably on track. At medium speeds, steering becomes more direct, boosting agility. At slow speeds, such as when parking, the steering angle of the front wheels is greatest, increasing manoeuvrability."

This is a different article, very techy:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/031112.htm

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom