• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Jaguar Track Day - Gaydon Warwickshire

Should anybody travelling a distance to Gaydon wish to make a weekend out of the event in partnership with perhaps a day around Stratford-upon-Avon then may I draw to your attention a great 2for1 offer that Holiday Inn group have on at present.

The HI Express one junction south of Gaydon on the M40 have rooms available for the Friday and Saturday night for just £25 per night per room (including breakfast).

Woo! Phoned up this morning after reading this thread, they've fit me in on tomorrow afternoon's session at 1:30! Thanks so much for the post :-)

All you merc drivers are in for a treat.

gary

All you merc drivers are in for a treat.

gary

And How!! Wow!!

Just got back from Gaydon. Firstly its at Aston ( not Jaguar entrance ) and uses the joint facility so you will see range rovers and Astons as well as Jaguars on the circuit.

the Jags are not yet released, having just been shown to Journalists in Seville where by all accounts the XFR beats the M5 as the best saloon...and I believe it!

Personal best speed of 174mph down the straight! :devil: and the car was absolutely stable and safe, but more impressive is when the instructor tells you to take the s curves at 130mph!

These jags ( XF diesel .. dont knock it , it was very torquy and quiet and went fast), the XFR and the XKR are well ahead of the oppostion now. The XFR will embarras a 911 driver!

3 parts to the day:

Diesel through swerves of cones as fast as you can

XFR and XKR on the track as fast as you can. Incidently got 174 out of the XFR and "only" 172 out of the XKR!

Road test over 22 miles around Banbury roads with no Jaguar person looking over your shoulder; they just programmed the satnav and let you go!

If you are going you are going to have the best day , far better than any racing circuit as you have tried cos you dont have to learn the circuit.If you arent going try to get in, as they seem to have last minute cancellations and its on every day til Sunday

Have fun....i did!:D

Wow....I am excited...:bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :D

Gonna have to leave my cheque book at home .....

If you want to read a bit about the XFR and XKR before you take the cars out, here's a good review.

Apologies for posting so many Drivers Republic links recently.....honest I'm not staff, I just really link the format

****. Just called up and they have no spaces left. On the reserve list for Friday or Sunday though, might have to nobble BD!!

I had already warned them about you and your "interceptor training"...:D

****. Just called up and they have no spaces left. On the reserve list for Friday or Sunday though, might have to nobble BD!!

I'll be keeping an eye out for a big blue and yellow battenburg following me around, and bill boards saying "Stop here to meet Penny Mallory" then.

;) :D

Thanks for the review carnut!

Did you or any of the other drivers take along a guest? What did they do? Was it just a case of spectating whilst you drive on the proving ground and, if so, is this done inside or out? I suppose they allowed the driver to take the guest with them out onto the public road.

Anyway, back to business: okay boys and girls, the pace has been set!

Top speed league table:

1) Carnut 174mph
2) mw C32 170mph

Last edited:
Good review Carnut. Looking forward to the morning, hope the weather clears up a bit though!!!

It will be interesting to compare V8's, don't you just love the sound of cubic inches!!!:devil:

I have dropped the back seats in my car just to get a bit more of the noise. :o jeez you pay for it in petrol but boy does it sound good. :D

Mark

My confirmation arrived today. Looking forward to it!!

Thanks for the review carnut!

Did you or any of the other drivers take along a guest? What did they do? Was it just a case of spectating whilst you drive on the proving ground and, if so, is this done inside or out? I suppose they allowed the driver to take the guest with them out onto the public road.

Anyway, back to business: okay boys and girls, the pace has been set!

Top speed league table:

1) Carnut 174mph

Yes you can take guests; they cant drive the cars but can go with you and certainly in the test drive around the lanes. It was all oirganised so you didnt get cold or wet. Your guest will enjoy the experience and end up being envious of your drive!

Enjoy the day!

Still not had confirmation email! I guess I will give them a call...

My confirmation arrived yesterday......

I read in Autoexpress that the cars were limited to 155 mph - so they must have be de-limited. Also they hit 202 on the salts in USA in speed trial..

I have never driven over 130 so dont expect to get near 174.

My confirmation arrived yesterday......

I read in Autoexpress that the cars were limited to 155 mph - so they must have be de-limited. Also they hit 202 on the salts in USA in speed trial..

I have never driven over 130 so dont expect to get near 174.

They have been given a soft limiter at 175; if you think you wont do that kind of speed you are going to surprise yourself!:devil:

My day...

As Carnut said earlier make sure you go in at the Aston Martin entrance and not the Heritage Museum one....

When you arrive your car is valet parked and you go in and register. (Free Jag pen no.1)

Then tea/coffee crap breakfast and fill in the disclaimer. ( Free Jag pen No.2)

I was looking at what people were driving/arriving in and suprisingly there were more Mercs than most so they had their target market aimed very well.

A 15-20 minute talk from the Jag UK managing director who looked decidedly uncomfortable making his speech but hey ho! It's all about the marque....

Apparently it's about 226mph on the salt flats with a bit of tweaking so these cars can go quick.

We then go out and select a nice XK convertible put the roof down and check out some 20 odd miles of sunny Oxfordshire/Warwickshire countryside, with the roof down it sounded wonderfull especially at full chat in 2nd/3rd gear.....:devil:

The sat nav is pre programmed with the route set in different way points and yet some drivers still went their own way, we were following one car when sat nav told us to turn right they went straight on!!!

Arrived back to then go out in the XF diesel, whilst interesting the instructors pegged us back a bit even on track, I suppose it was designed to get a feel for how easy and comfortable the car was to drive and yet still have a bit of sportiness to it. Ah well! I could have been in any semi-luxury saloon like an E class or a Lexus or whatever.....

Next up the XK-R supercharger, this time we were allowed to open up a bit more.... this was much better!!! It had a great deal of punch and the convertible really felt like a proper GT, only managed to get 170 on the clock so not quite as quick as Carnut....how on earth did you manage 174? I left it right to the end of the straight before braking to the point of the instructor seriously insisting I apply the brakes...hehe...

The speed thing is hard to get to grips with as your on a really wide track and even at 140-150mph you just don't get the feeling of speed, there's nothing near to judge it against, I really prefer handling tests thats when you get a good sensation as to how great a car really is, only my humble opinion though :o and as for these big Jag's they were really well set up, hardly any bodyroll left/right forward or back they had it pretty sorted with the active damping control. They just did not "feel" nimble enough for me....

Anyway

Back to base and fill in the "what did you think forms".... (Free Jag pen No.3 :devil: )

Had a great morning out the organising was great and the cars were brilliant, bottom line though, would I buy one? Have to say no. I'm not ready for this type of car, whilst the insides of the cars were well engineered I got back in my C and felt it was just as good, even a little better and way more fun to drive. Oh! and a LOT louder. :cool:

Who ever has yet to go you will have a great time and well worth the visit. We got a nice gift package left in the car at the end too. :)

Thanks Jaguar if only Mercedes would do this once in a while!!!.......but then I wouldn't know as I already have one and I suppose the exercise is to get the oposition to switch.

Cheers all

Mark.

Glad you had a good time....

So is the competition to beat 174 mph or to collect more than 3 pens?
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom