• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Jaguar X Type - Opinions

proser

Car
W210 E320Cdi Estate
Possibly looking at replacing the E Class. Funds are a little tight at the mo but want to replace with a prestige vehicle.

What are peoples opinion of a Jag X type diesel around 2004/5 ?

Anything that I should be worried about ? I can deal with most things mechanical

The front wheel drive diesels had most of the problems ruled out by the time they were introduced. 2.2 diesel auto being the pick of the bunch. The earlier v6 models had transmission problems with the 4wd systems. I find headroom a bit tight. Its a Mk 1 Ford Mondeo under that Jaguar body work but all the better for that - The Mondeo chassis was tweaked by Jackie Stewart prior to its launch and it shows. You may find it a bit soft compared to the German makes but that's not a bad thing in my book.

A ford mondeo by another name - was never impressed with the interior quality - hard plastics and ford switches of course. Ride seemed firm for a jag. Can't remember what the engine was like 2.2. diesel yes ?

Its a Mk 1 Ford Mondeo under that Jaguar body work but all the better for that

It's a heavily revised Mk3 Mondeo (CD132) underneath, which is in turn one of the most underrated cars ever. The rear suspension is based on the Mondeo estate suspension, even on the saloon. Engine line-up is covered well at Wikipedia. I found the interior very cramped compared with the Mondeo.

Last edited:
Not sure i would class the x-type as prestige?

Tony.

Don't know much about them, but I think they had their fair share of problems with the early diesels. As above, I believe the 2.2 unit is the best of the bunch. I fall into the camp which thinks being based on a Mondeo is no bad thing. The four cylinder engine would be a negative point for me, I'd rather have 6 or 8 or even 12 pots :)

Hello

My Brother had two, a 2.0d Estate and a 2.0d Sport salloon.

Both cars he did big miles in, the saloon was around 140K.

Good car, MPG was good (both manual), puff a lot of smoke not only when giving it beans but just normal driving (ford engine)

I would not woory its based on a ford? so what? it ran well and possibly makes parts cheaper? One thing though check your happy with the seats on the sport as they can be a bit 'tight' depending upon your build.

I had a 2003 model with a V6 petrol engine and loved it. Very comfortable, quiet and quick with manual box. They replaced all petrols with diesels which was a shame IMHO.

Problems with fuel pumps on early models. If buying a high millage make sure the clutch has been done and a new flywheel fitted at the same time (dual mass flywheel which fall apart) injectors can be an
issue as well. High millage ones may have an erratic idle after a hot start if it dots this there's a software update to cure it (fuel pressure getting low and dropping off the fuel map). But as everyone has pointed out there basically a mondeo underneath so parts at cheap and easy to get.

Beno & A210 are pretty much on the mark, the few that I've worked on have had these problems and also needed Turbos (but I think this has been to previous missed services and the damn EGR valves), if you get one I'd block the EGR valve off to stop most of the gunk being recirculated around the turbo/engine and it'll also cut down on the plumes of smoke.

On the plus side they drive fine, have plenty of power and are cheap to maintain

Old boy just along the road from me bought one as a retirement present to himself as he always wanted to own a Jaguar.

18 months later he had enough of it and now has a Vauxhall Insignia that's approaching it's third birthday.

He regularly travels from Glasgow to Kent to visit family.

Says it all to me ....

Fuel pumps, Dual mass flywheels, wheel bearings (complete hub) injectors and oil cooler issues, stay with the 3 pointed star mate

Don't be put off by all the negativity my wife's had 2 both have had a couple of problems but so do all cars. Look for as low millage as possible with a service history the engines are pretty reliable as long as the oil is changed regularly. EGR issues mean you have to strip and clean it around every 20K its an easy if messy job takes no more than 20min tops.

Good luck

Don't be put off by all the negativity my wife's had 2 both have had a couple of problems but so do all cars. Look for as low millage as possible with a service history the engines are pretty reliable as long as the oil is changed regularly. EGR issues mean you have to strip and clean it around every 20K its an easy if messy job takes no more than 20min tops.

Good luck

Have you not had the EGR blanked off ??

If you blank it off it throw's up an error (Engine light on) you can fit a blanking plate with a 10mm hole in it, however its not big deal to clean it.

And your opinion is based on what?

I've owned and worked on both and always thought the X type has trim and fit level the Mondeo should have been built with. Better engine calibration and sound proving as well.

I had a new 52 plate 2.0l X type sport, bought it over the phone never driven it. It was a great looking car metalic black with black leather, the wheels and stance also made it look meaner than it was. I hated it within weeks, I just came from an Audi but in comparision the ride was twitchy and huge amounts of understear. The controls felt pretty poor in comparision and I traded it in a year later, my friend had a 2.5 4x4 version and they were chalk and cheese in terms of handling and far less twitchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom