New E-class and Mercedes-Benz UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Question: Would it be easier for the shop floor to have days when only RHD vehicles are built? Definitely no local manufacturing plant.
I’m pretty sure that they don’t manufacturer batches of LHD and RHD cars - it’s just a build option like any other, they don’t need to swap or switch over the line.

Hi Whitenemesis
I have not checked but we used to be able to travel to the factory in Germany and collect our cars. I have no idea if this is still an option. So what I am saying is the E-class is built in the same factory. Fully loaded, fully specced RHD vehicles are churned out for Ireland and possibly UK vehicles might be built on the same day?? Question: Would it be easier for the shop floor to have days when only RHD vehicles are built? Definitely no local manufacturing plant.

Just checked JimB and the pictures you are showing are of a base AMG Line Edition... easy to tell the difference, look at that steering wheel... It is circular :) :) Okay, I can here folks laughing at me but the more expensaive AMG-Line vehicles have a chopped bottom :) and the steering wheel has four spokes. Am I an anarok or what. I stuill cannot explain the optional extra bit :)
Factory collection is no longer an option unless you are using the MB Centre of excellence. Dealers in the UK can place orders with the Centre of Excellence in Sindelfingen, where you can have certain cars built to your exact specification and painted any colour you like, for a price premium of course.

Jimbg
By crikey sir you have got my attention. I see that we both live in Devon, that means we are both dealing with Mercedes-Benz Southwest.

I 100% accept the coloured interiors you are showing are indeed available but I have been told in writing from both Mercedes-Benz South-West and Mercedes-Benz UK that it is ONLY the base model that has the choice of interior colours.

Yopu also state you have the Premium Plus option but once again, ALL the advertising literature state that option is NOT available for the AMG Line that offers the different interiors. You will see mention of 'SE' in the literature because that was what the cheaper version was once called.

The attached link should show ALL the options available for the AMG line Edition. On the last page it simply states they have a black plastic roof lining (Artico leather. Ooops I don't think the link works but here are ALL the options available for the Edition. The bottom bit was cut off but that last option is as the description and nothing else

Attachments

• Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Jimbg
By crikey sir you have got my attention. I see that we both live in Devon, that means we are both dealing with Mercedes-Benz Southwest.

I 100% accept the coloured interiors you are showing are indeed available but I have been told in writing from both Mercedes-Benz South-West and Mercedes-Benz UK that it is ONLY the base model that has the choice of interior colours.

Yopu also state you have the Premium Plus option but once again, ALL the advertising literature state that option is NOT available for the AMG Line that offers the different interiors. You will see mention of 'SE' in the literature because that was what the cheaper version was once called.

The attached link should show ALL the options available for the AMG line Edition. On the last page it simply states they have a black plastic roof lining (Artico leather. Ooops I don't think the link works but here are ALL the options available for the Edition. The bottom bit was cut off but that last option is as the description and nothing else
John, unless I’m mistaken - which I often am - using the link in your post I can specify a macchiato interior which comes with a macchiato roof lining, or I can opt for a black roof lining (whilst retaining the macchiato interior) - is that not true for you too?

Jimbg

John the reference to Artico doesn’t appear to be for the roof lining but the dashboard - the description says:

The trim on the instrument panel and door beltlines in ARTICO man-made leather underlines the high-quality look and feel of the interior.

I can see what you are saying BUT.... Go to the Mercedes Benz configurator for the E-CLASS and there is only coloured interiors for the base AMG. I see they have done away with that awful brown colour. That's it as far as Mercedes-Benz UK are concerned. I can only speak about my experience. I have liaised with one of the Director's of Mercedes-Benz South-West and I have corresponded with Mercedes-Benz UK direct. I might try to find the relevant paragraphs stating how they have done market research and their customers are happy with the features they offer.

I cannot explain how you have those colours as optional extras but this is from the UK site as of today. Note how the 'Edition' is the only AMG Line that has different choices. From December 2019, you had the SE that had the colours you are showing but it had very limited extras and all the other AMG Line derivatives had black plastic. Now the new shape as far as Mercedes Benz UK have told me, they only offer black on all UK AMG Line derivatives and a limited choice of colours on the base AMG Line Edition.
The first screen shot was the initial release in June and what I placed my order against and accepted by MB.

The second one was the update released after I placed my order and still marketed with the same June reference number!

I guess they change they change the brochure and configurator depending on their mood that day? :wallbash:

Edit
As I said earlier I cancelled the order for a face lift AMG Line Premium plus when they removed the option for light interior.
And as you say it has gone completely!

In the end I decided that if I had to have black then I would buy a 6 month old car and save some money.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure that they don’t manufacturer batches of LHD and RHD cars - it’s just a build option like any other, they don’t need to swap or switch over the line.

erh there are quite a few differences between LHD and RHD ....the robots used to install many parts need to be rest to insert parts the other way round ..

For those who wish to have a bespoke specification then you can let your creativity run wild if you visit the Centre of Excellence.

I’ve never been to the Centre of Excellence but the similar Performance Studio service at the AMG factory was superb - paint and interior colour of your choice.

erh there are quite a few differences between LHD and RHD ....the robots used to install many parts need to be rest to insert parts the other way round ..
Perhaps it’s different on more modern models. It has previously been the case that both LHD and RHD models pass along the same production line.

John, unless I’m mistaken - which I often am - using the link in your post I can specify a macchiato interior which comes with a macchiato roof lining, or I can opt for a black roof lining (whilst retaining the macchiato interior) - is that not true for you too?
Hi Bobby
You are the wisest of men and I do stand corrected for the head-liner choice for the Edition, yes they do indeed have a choice for the different roof liners. One it looks like the black plastic or two that 'beige' :)

Jimb
I wish we could chat via pm as I would like to know what E-class you have as the very latest model is only just becoming available. No brochures of the new E-class (to the best of my knowledge were available in June. I say this as I was watching the UK site like a hawk as I was assured the black plastic was out and there would be a choice of colours. You can see from the attached letter how much the interior colours have changed. I honestly believe that somehow you were given a pre December 2019 brochure and I only say that because it matches the brochure I used when ordering our E-class last summer

This is the relevant nitty gritty from Mercedes Benz:

Dear Mr ******
I write further to the email you recently addressed to Mr Gary ******, Chief Executive Office of Mercedes-Benz UK Passenger Cars. I was asked to respond to you on his behalf. I was sorry to hear of your comments regarding your recent E-Class order and have reviewed this also with Mercedes-Benz of Exeter who have placed the initial order.
In terms of options available on cars manufacturer for the UK Market, the options have been carefully selected due to market research and have the possibility to change with any new facelift or updated model and package releases. I apologise in this the option of a light coloured interior had been removed from your requirements when our Retailer were granted allocation, however the option is only now available with the AMG Line Edition which I understand does not meet your requirements.

This comes right from the proverbial horses mouth and as can be seen, they have carried out 'market research' so it must be true.

Question: "Do you like the black interior fitted to your £60,000?" I wonder what the answer would be

Question: "Would your prefer a chocolate coloured interior on your black £60.000 car?" I wonder what the answer would be

Attachments

• Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 1603039151693.png
    1603039151693.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Hi Bobby
You are the wisest of men and I do stand corrected for the head-liner choice for the Edition, yes they do indeed have a choice for the different roof liners. One it looks like the black plastic or two that 'beige' :)

Jimb
I wish we could chat via pm as I would like to know what E-class you have as the very latest model is only just becoming available. No brochures of the new E-class (to the best of my knowledge were available in June. I say this as I was watching the UK site like a hawk as I was assured the black plastic was out and there would be a choice of colours. You can see from the attached letter how much the interior colours have changed. I honestly believe that somehow you were given a pre December 2019 brochure and I only say that because it matches the brochure I used when ordering our E-class last summer

This is the relevant nitty gritty from Mercedes Benz:

Dear Mr ******
I write further to the email you recently addressed to Mr Gary ******, Chief Executive Office of Mercedes-Benz UK Passenger Cars. I was asked to respond to you on his behalf. I was sorry to hear of your comments regarding your recent E-Class order and have reviewed this also with Mercedes-Benz of Exeter who have placed the initial order.
In terms of options available on cars manufacturer for the UK Market, the options have been carefully selected due to market research and have the possibility to change with any new facelift or updated model and package releases. I apologise in this the option of a light coloured interior had been removed from your requirements when our Retailer were granted allocation, however the option is only now available with the AMG Line Edition which I understand does not meet your requirements.

This comes right from the proverbial horses mouth and as can be seen, they have carried out 'market research' so it must be true.

Question: "Do you like the black interior fitted to your £60,000?" I wonder what the answer would be

Question: "Would your prefer a chocolate coloured interior on your black £60.000 car?" I wonder what the answer would be

I still have the brochure on my computer that I could send to you, is there not a PM facility on this site?

I realise that going on past form I'll probably be told I'm talking rubbish, but when I worked in the industry it was standard practice to send a mix of LHD and RHD down the same production line. The mix had to be planned, because 'handed' parts such as dashboard assemblies are normally delivered to only one side of the line, and probably geared to LHD. If the line personnel have to walk to the other side of the car to perform their function on the different variants, then they would gradually get out of position relative to their work station if a run of RHD models came down the line one after the other.

On a different thread Bobby Dazzler has raised a point I had not factored into my decision to buy a car in Europe..

The dreaded Coronavirus

I hope I am not being political about mentioning this issue as I am sure these lock-downs are indeed political decisions but hey ho..... I guess I am in the lap of the Gods\politicians and what will be, will be. :(

If I was a worrying type of person I would blame Bobby Dazzler for inflicting undue stress upon my worn-out body :) :)

At the moment the route will be Ostende to the Euro-tunnel, then the Eurotunnel to my home address

Waffling on.... I am not looking forward to the day we sell our E-class, the thing has been a spoilt child, wanting for nothing, always garaged and always maintained by the main dealer.:(

Almost wish I were still in the market for an S211 - I'd buy yours like a shot! Let me know nearer the time please - not sure I can convince SuzyCute to swop her B-class!

I will try to remember and it would be nice for it to go to someone we know. Tell the boss it has a full and complete service history, always maintained by our main dealer, it is always garaged and has just 64,000 miles on the clock. It has a dedicated phone with its own pay as you go number which for me is invaluable. Not sure of the type of phone but it has been in the car, untouched since 2004 and still works perfectly :) Yup we love that car and the new one will have a big garage to fill. Still having that Mercedes 'gunsight' on the bonnet will be a good start, I am sure the boss uses that to line up on features she can use when manoeuvring the car :)

Yesterday I specified a new GLE 63 S using the online configurator. The only choices available were the interior colour (black or black with grey highlights) and exterior colour (of which there were plenty, including Mojave a Silver!). There was no choice of wheel, and all equipment packs were standard (or included). The only chargeable option I encountered was paint colour.

John’s worst nightmare! It was a blooming lovely car though 👍🏻

Yesterday I specified a new GLE 63 S using the online configurator. The only choices available were the interior colour (black or black with grey highlights) and exterior colour (of which there were plenty, including Mojave a Silver!). There was no choice of wheel, and all equipment packs were standard (or included). The only chargeable option I encountered was paint colour.

Hi Bobby
Go for that GL Maybach, You know you want one :) 0 - 60 in less than 5 seconds and a two tone paint scheme that can extract money from your bank quicker than you can put it in :)

Such limited choice is an disgusting. An absolute disgrace.

So no options on the top spec is a bad thing....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom