• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Just installed rear LED tail lights

chrispy

Car
97 W202
Ok, I just got done installing my rear LED tail lights (and lost half of my thumb nail in the process). I don't know why but I feel everytime I post on here i'm gonna get slammed by the people who think all MB's should remain pure. I'm not a Barry Boy and have no intention of becoming one which is why I always ask advice here first normally but I saw a set of these on a 202 and loved them. Anyway, i've posted before and after shots below so let me know what you think, I like them as they differ from the rather dull looking OEM ones from MB. The reverse and indicator lights are not LED but the others are.

Before

BeforeLEDRear.jpg

After

AfterLEDRear.jpg

I plan on quite a few more (subtle) mods like the ice white interior, boot and number plate bulbs and (hopefully) an AMG C43 kit. Time and spare cash will tell I suppose :)

NO NO NO.....looks totally out of place

It might be a grower...but i doubt it

dont really matter what we think anyway...as long as you like them

Makes it look a bit fresher, doesn't it?

Personally I like the part smoked look of the OEM lights.

Why don't you try lightly smoking the reverse and indicator sections of the lamps - and get non orange looking indicator bulbs to lose the fried egg look?

Might look a bit more oem.

I've considered rear leds in the past but don't know if I could pass them off with my own car.

How much did they cost you?

Did you have to modify any wiring or were they a straight swap?

Regards,

KJ

Last edited:
It was a straight swap and everything included in the package (even extra nuts which was good coz I have hands like shovels and dropped two of the buggers). I think all together with shipping from Germany they cost me around £130 and were not that difficult to install. Well, they can't be if I did it :D

Just waiting for it to get dark and take a tidy look at the effect of the LED's and maybe some more photies. I'll post some pics of them in the dark but I don't know about smoking them. That's what I did'nt really like about the OEM's was the fact they looked cloudy from day one.

You need silvered indicator lamps - there's an original merc part number for them. Stops the yellow look - I have them in the front of my E.

N400809000005 by any chance?

They're bloody bright at night I tell you. It's practically impossible to take a photo. Just went down to the hole in the wall to take some cash out for tomorrow and the guy who owns the Kebab shop (an early 90's cl 500 owner) was all over my C and told me the mods i'd done so far made the car look much more sttractive than the standard one's knocking about the town (there are many).

I'm happy anyway and as has already been pointed out to me by the good members here the one's I have to please are me and the wife and we're pleased :) Just need that damn elusive C43 kit now and i'm away :rock:

I have LED bulbs installed in my VW Caravelle. Using LED bulbs meant that I didn't have to change the light units, just the bulbs. Appearance is OEM and the Caravelle has just passed its third MOT since I made the change.

My Burstner caravan also has LED bulbs. That's because it is quite a time consuming operation to dismantle the rear light units to get at the bulbs. With LED bulbs, bulb replacement is so infrequent that you can almost assume that you will never have to change them.

Something else I like about LED bulbs is that all the LEDs are in the colour you want - red LEDs for stop/tail, yellow LEDs for indicators. So 100% of the bulb's light gets through the coloured lens.

With white incandescent bulbs (the normal type) you lose all the power of the bulb outside that part of the spectrum that passes through the coloured lens.

Not a fan myself, but if you like them etc :)

HERE is a pair that looks slightly more OEM

c0c79c8a.jpg

Last edited:
I like them, but prefer the smoked ones KillerHERTZ linked to.

Do any full smoked clusters exist (LED or otherwise), or are they illegal?

They do make the rear end look fresher. I'm not sure about the estate but I have the guys e-mail addie so i'll mail him and find out.

Attachments

• P1010011 (Medium).JPG
    P1010011 (Medium).JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
These are the closest to OEM with a crystal look:

imgvz4.jpg

Not bad eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom