• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

K&N filters and remus exhausts for 300CE, pls help!

Henry300CE

I have recently purchased a remus exhaust and k&N filters. However, my car is back in my home country therefore i haven't fitted them in my car.

Are the K&N's any good? cuz i have read some posts saying that it might harm my engine and the oem filters might be better than the K&N's? Also i would like to know how the remus exhaust would sound on a 300CE. Would it have a deeper tone when the car is on idle mode? After changing both the filters and exhaust would there be any difference in performance?

I have seen a few pics of W124's with the remus exhaust and noticed that they stick out and are not placed where they should be (on the side).

Could anyone pls help me out with my questions? or anyone who have made the same changes to their W124's help me out? Thanks alot..

If your car is petrol and has a MAS that hasn't been recently replaced, I wouldn't use a K&N. If you don't have a MAS, I expect you will be OK.

I'm pretty sure that the 300CE 124 uses the 'old school' MB 12v straight six, with the Bosch 'K-Jetronic' system, no MAS on this.

HTH :)

Will

Henry300CE said:
I have seen a few pics of W124's with the remus exhaust and noticed that they stick out and are not placed where they should be (on the side).

OEM MB exhaust back box pipes on W124/W126 are "shaped" differently where the Remus ones are more like straight tail pipes on the back box.

I'm pretty sure that the 300CE 124 uses the 'old school' MB 12v straight six, with the Bosch 'K-Jetronic' system, no MAS on this.

HTH
smile.gif

Will

Thx for your help Will, so does that mean that its safe for me to use the K&N's on the 300CE?

Flash said:
OEM MB exhaust back box pipes on W124/W126 are "shaped" differently where the Remus ones are more like straight tail pipes on the back box.

thx, so after i have changed the exhausts, it ill be placed closer to the centre than at the side where the normal exhaust would normally be?

No, they should 'hang' in roughly the same place ...

OEM tailpipes are downswept slightly, whereas the Remus ones will more than likely be straight pipes pointing backwards...

It is a very tricky thing to find an aftermarket exhaust that looks OK on a w124 coupe, too many of them look like they have been poorly designed or fitted , the only really nice back box for a w124 is the AMG version.... it just 'looks' like it is meant to be there ....

The way to go is with squareish tailpipes ( correct for that era of car ) , round exhausts on a w124 just don't look right IMO ....

Any pictures ?

Good luck ..

Thx for the info Howard, ive got the square tipped ones, hopefully it would look good and fit well. At the moment ive got jst d oval AMG tips over my oem tailpipes and you're right, rounded ones just don't fit well on the coupe. Ill have pics once im bck and fitted everything on.

Does anyone know anything bt the sound or performance increase though?

Thanks for your help evryone..really appreciate it..

I would say that changing filters and backbox is going to give you no more than 5 or 6% increase ......

Remember they are quite old cars now, most with 80k+ miles on them , its never going to be a racing machine .....

A 300ce stock is what, about 180 bhp ? :confused: , so i reckon you might get another ten tops with the mods .....

Henry300CE said:
thx, so after i have changed the exhausts, it ill be placed closer to the centre than at the side where the normal exhaust would normally be?

The above applies definitely to a W126 and I had to change by back box twice and went for OEM on each occasion. A Remus back box's pipes would fit/sit more inwards on the bumper than to the side of the bumper in comparison to the OEM exhaust.

Yea i know wat u mean Howard.. Mine's actually my dad's, had it for almost 17 yrs now, bt rarely drives it until i took over hehe, its only arnd 35k miles, so everything still runs quite smoothly..

If anyone has experiences with the remus exhausts, pls let me know if it is worth it.. Thx..

Henry300CE said:
If anyone has experiences with the remus exhausts, pls let me know if it is worth it.. Thx..
Drop Pulgers a pm, I believe he had one on his late w202

Henry300CE said:
Does anyone know anything bt the sound or performance increase though?

The sounds are ace:rock: .My lady says she can hear me in the next street when im coming home.On tickover its a deep rumble and going through built up areas a blip on the throttle will get all the petrol heads looking and maybe some golden oldies shaking their fists at you.Multistory car parks are best can be heard from the top floor to the bottom floor.But could cause back seat passengers to complain about the noise hurting their ears after a long journey.Performance isn't noticeable if at all any,But it does make you feel your going faster:rolleyes:

I remember some time back someone here removed the centre box from there exhaust system.

Is there any advantage to doing this?

And does it sound cool or what?

And yes, I was thinking of doing it........
;)

pluggers said:
The sounds are ace:rock: .My lady says she can hear me in the next street when im coming home.On tickover its a deep rumble and going through built up areas a blip on the throttle will get all the petrol heads looking and maybe some golden oldies shaking their fists at you.Multistory car parks are best can be heard from the top floor to the bottom floor.But could cause back seat passengers to complain about the noise hurting their ears after a long journey.Performance isn't noticeable if at all any,But it does make you feel your going faster:rolleyes:

Cool, thx alot pluggers that really helped, that's what i hope it would do when i fit it on...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom