• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

K&N filters

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Hi,
Good link, and states what I always believed to be the truth, regarding the MAF/Oil contamination issue, but this could be abit bit bias, as after all it is written by K&N themselves.

I use The Green Filters. No problems as has been mentioned before i think the culprit is the person putting to much oil on the filter. www.greenfilters.co.uk

You need two.

Last edited:
I read that too, thought it was self-serving nonsense (no way of determining whether a MAF is working or not, indeed!); and still went and bought one.

That's a whole week ago now and the car's still going. But I'll post to this thread if that ever changes.

The majority of problems are as stated. Owners using too much oil on the filters or oiling the wrong side of the filter.

I have used K&N filters for over 20 years without any type of problem, even used a K&N in my CLK32k without any type of oil contamination problem in the MAF

Any benefits?

Has anyone ever heard from someone (aside from K&N) who reports any definite benefits resulting from installing a K&N or similar filter in a Mercedes?

I had one and it worked and seemed well made etc. etc. It made the intake a little noisier and changed absolutely nothing else. Also, they need to be cleaned and oiled periodically. There is also the risk of oiling up a MAF if you have a hot-wire type.

For me, it's easier to get the original from MB or a Mann & Hummel replacement every x thousand miles.

Eagerly awaiting response.

RayH

i always use k&n filters in all my cars, and all my bikes. i dont oil them, i checked my first one on a 1760 twin webberd mk1 fiesta every 6 months for a few years, and came to realise that the 100,000,000 mile warrenty was there for a reason so now i fit one to every vehicle i own and forget about it, i have never needed to oil them, i think a new k&n, fitted in a road vehicle, will not need oiling for maybe 60,000 - 80,000 miles. the main plus point is the fact you only buy one once, and it DOESN'T need maintenance.

don't forget k&n are designed for competition use where there rigidity and clean ability in the desert (Nari Dakar ect) is a major factor, for road use in most country's, k&n will not need cleaning on the factory maintenance schedule, now if you are in Dubai ect with sand in the air, then k&n will, in my opinion, give major benefits.

to answer the question, for an application where fitting k&n gives noticeable power results, my turbo technics, and eds, and any one else who is using the std filter in a turbo Technics air box, or for that matter any other airbox that partilly blocks the air entry point will get NOTICEABLE results by using k&n, because it will gain room, and allow better breathing.

lastly, any one that over oils their filter is to blame if the maf suffers, not the k&n, or what ever after market filter they are using.

If these awful filters were actually any good at all, they would be fitted as standard. They aren't.

Manufacturers spend millions on modelling the fluid dynamics of engine intakes, optimising port shapes, optimising the acoustics of the inlet tract, do people honestly think they would then waste all of this by fitting an overly restrictive air filter?

Once a car has been heavily modified, then, yes, the air filter might become a restriction - then, simply use a standard type filter with a larger area.

In other areas of engine technology, manufacturers do spend extra money to allow long life servicing, so, it's not that.

Perhaps it is, as per the independant testing, that K & N filters let much more damaging dust and particles through when compared to a standard filter, and they simply aren't good enough to be fitted as original equipment?

Personally, I wouldn't fit one to a lawn mower, never mind a motor car.

Each to his own ;)

I remember something years ago they called the whire glove test, basically smear a thin layer of clean grease after the maf drive for x thousand miles then wipe a wipe glove around the grease and see how much dirt comes out, k+n loads of dirt, oe very little, still didnt stop me fitting a k+n though:D.

Had it for a couple of years maf fine.

As said very lightly oil, i also removed maf every service and cleaned with brake cleaner was always clean.

Lynall

What happen if you put a dry k+n? Will the teeny particules going through as not catch with the oil would be detrimental to the engine?
In 1940 there was no filters ( on motorbike anyway), I know we come a long way from there, but could the filters now be a bit OTT?

i have never had an issue with k£n and ive used them exclusivly for 20 years

I use K+N too, nice filters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom