• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

K&n style air filter

astamir

MB Enthusiast
Car
w208 silver clk55
Hi
I'm thinking to buy a k&n performance air filter saw one on eBay the seller in the advert says it increases the power.
Does any one knows if that's is true if so how much extra power i will get and will it fit a e class w211 cdi engines?
Thanks in advance

I suggest you do a search on this topic as it has been discussed here many times before.

Mine came with K&N air filters which I didn't know about initially.

I've never driven mine without, but I can tell you mine does do some good figures on acceleration and quarter mile, of which air flow will play a part (mine is also missing secondary CATs).

My inde recommends the regular air filters, but because mine runs so well, I'm loathed to change them and mine has had no issues in the 18 months I've had it (and however long they were fitted prior).

Some others also have them on here without issue I believe, but I've heard of cases where issues have occurred - but without knowing the full facts, difficult to judge.

I wouldn't fit them if I had regular ones but as I have them, I don't feel inclined to change them.

If you do fit them, ensure they are cleaned at the recommended interval and don't over oil them if you do it yourself - as that will lead to problems.

As above, when cleaning wet filters, avoid over oiling them after, not unless you want MAF problems soon after which most people don't :D I have them on my C240T since around 8 years and never a problem. My 43 has Green filters (similar) and no problems either

the 55K does not have a MAF so the oiled filters are ok

for the CDI, waste of time and money, let alone the risk of MAF failure!

K&N filters come pre-oiled so you can put them straight in with no problems at all.

The general opinion on various Mercedes/AMG forums is to simply buy new filters instead of risking over-oiling and causing MAF issues.
Alot cheaper than replacing the MAF sensors.

You do not need to be worried about putting new K&N's in and getting problems with MAF sensors.

K&N produced a very informative video which explained in detail about their product and quashed rumours of their filters causing issues with MAF sensors. I posted it up a while back.. I'll try and find it again....

:thumb:

You get no increase in power with diesel, just the danger of oiling your MAF and increasing the induction noise. Just buy the OEM filter!

whitenemesis said:
You get no increase in power with diesel, just the danger of oiling your MAF and increasing the induction noise. Just buy the OEM filter!

Going to try increase the power by remapping it at the angel tuning in Oxfordshire I'll take my car there and will see what they say about the air inductions

To increase power you need to increase breathing, K&N on it own won't achieve that. The induction and exhaust systems will need to modified all the way through before you will notice any difference from free-flow air filters.

Wet (oiled) filters are generally better at trapping dust (and used to be common many years ago), but as for the comment regarding over-oiling, it can happen if you are not careful because they need regular cleaning and re-oiling (using K&N solvent and oil).

Interestingly, in recent years K&N generally dropped the performance claims from their adverts and are now concentrating on the 'green' environmental aspect of reoiling and reusing their filters as opposed to binning disposable paper-element filters.

I used to have them on a couple of (petrol) cars some years ago, not sure about the power increase but they did generate a loud growly intake sound when accelerating hard.

Factory oiled filters rarely foul MAFs, it is usually when the owner has cleaned and re-oiled them.

I understand the problem is that people have a tendency to oil the wrong side.

I've had K&N on my car for 3 years. No MAF problems so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom