Keyless Entry Theft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't have a garage, but if I did I'd still lock the car. A locked car is just another obstacle in the way of a thief. No need to make it easier for them.

I lock my car while it's in the garage and secure the car key at the house. I also switch off power to the electric door while on holiday. I don't know how easy it is to open electric door without hacking radio waves but why make it easier for someone? I would advise against leaving car keys in the car while it's in the garage. Insurance may reject the claim. I always keep one car in the garage, due to lack of space on the driveway.

I don't know how easy it is to open electric door without hacking radio waves

On older systems like mine, I imagine it's extremely easy. I could open all the neighbours doors by changing a dip switch inside the remote. I would hope that more recent systems have code changing at each use.

I don't have a garage, but if I did I'd still lock the car.

I know, l know Roger. BUT I enjoy pretending to be a fireman every morning. I finish breakfast, pick up my bait, run through to the garage where my work boots are waiting by the van with the drivers door open and key in ignition. Garage door opens and off I go! Neeeee-noooor-Neeeee-noooor :D

Clear as mud view from the ombudsman. Looks like they take into account the out of sight in a secured garage, but a dim view of the vehicle then being out of sight with the keys in it.

motor insurance - keys in Car

Insurers have won a number of cases where a car was stolen from a locked garage where the keys were left in the vehicle, they have also lost some cases in the courts too. Up to the individual if they want to take the risk for that little bit of convenience.

Clear as mud view from the ombudsman. Looks like they take into account the out of sight in a secured garage, but a dim view of the vehicle then being out of sight with the keys in it.

motor insurance - keys in Car

Insurers have won a number of cases where a car was stolen from a locked garage where the keys were left in the vehicle, they have also lost some cases in the courts too. Up to the individual if they want to take the risk for that little bit of convenience.

It's certainly made me think Stu. However, kinda in the habit now for nearly 10 years. I'm probably lulled into a false sense because of our postcode. I certainly would never do it if we still lived in Manchester. The last reported crime in this village was over 8 years ago when someone had their garden shed broken into. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, only the owner can assess the risk they are willing to accept. Fingers crossed no one finds their garages being broken into at all.

..... I'm probably lulled into a false sense because of our postcode. I certainly would never do it if we still lived in Manchester. The last reported crime in this village was over 8 years ago when someone had their garden shed broken into. :eek:

I've lived in a similar safe place for 24 years and can't recall a burglary or car theft in the immediate neighbourhood in all that time. I sometimes leave mine on the drive with the key in for a short time rather than unnecessarily wear out MB's wonderful piece of engineering called an electronic steering lock.

I've lived in a similar safe place for 24 years and can't recall a burglary or car theft in the immediate neighbourhood in all that time. I sometimes leave mine on the drive with the key in for a short time rather than unnecessarily wear out MB's wonderful piece of engineering called an electronic steering lock.

Yeah, I can totally relate to that. We were gobsmacked at people's laid back attitude to home security when we moved here. I'd go and quote for jobs (I'm a joiner/builder) and if I got the work I'd ask for a key: 'It's ok' they'd say, 'I'll just leave the front door open when I goto work' :eek:

10 years on we've gone the same way. When family/friends visit from Manchester they pull on the drive, pop a stearing lock on and lock their car. They are very shocked at our habits of leaving cars unlocked and windows down. Makes us laugh but we used to be exactly the same.

So sorry to hear about your theft.

I don’t really trust my keyless go and always disarm it every evening.

From research it seems keylessgo does make cars less secure and can be exploited.

I purchased gap insurance from a third party when purchasing my car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom