Keyless Go start up problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogbreath

Car
2005 E55K AMG
Had a real weird episode today,
Last used my E55 2 days ago, no problems at all
Gave the wife the keys to get in while I opened the gate, thought I’d be clever and use the keyless go as she still had the keys in her hand..
Car started kinda really fast and was revving, sounded really loud and Eml light came on.
Turned it off and restarted it with the key, started fine but still Eml light on and revving. Took it out of park into reverse and it flew backwards with revs rising and surging. Took it 50 yard down the road and still doing the same.. over revving and surging. Put it back on the drive and turned it off.
Looked under bonnet and noticed a small pipe had blown off that connects to pipe work on top of TB.
Refit it and still the same.. Left it 30 mins while I went to shop in my jeep.. comeback and it started up as normal, took it for a drive and no probs but still has Eml light on.
So my question is .... could the keyless go thing have caused the problem Electrics wise ? I’ve not used keyless go in over a year and it said on dash check key battery ?
Car is 2005 E55
Cheers Lee

Best thing to do is plug a reader into it.
You will probably have to have one to clear the code and turn off the engine light anyway.
The pipe that you say came off the throttle body would probably have caused the problem, because it probably would have made the mixture weak, and a weak mixture would cause the symptoms you describe.
The ECU may still have been confused after you put the pipe back on, but leaving it may have let it recover.
Read the codes, wipe the codes, run the car see if the codes come back.
If they dont come back, it was the pipe, happy days!

Cheers Steve
I’ll get it put on Star and see what it says... it was just strange how using the keyless thing seemed to cause the problem..
thanks for the reply mate

stars your best bet there!

I think the pipe coming off is unlikely to be related to using keyless go.

Best to get the codes read and go from there.

Which pipe came off - any pics?

Well well..... my beautiful boy Benjamin has fixed himself, took him out for a run this morning to see if anything had changed.. all back to normal
Switched him off and back on and no EML and it’s not come back on... so I’m chuffed to bits. Booked him in for oil and coolant change to say Thankyou
Still going on star when fluids get done !
Cheers Lee

That is the inlet for the LH breather, it is before the throttle body, so would be very unlikely to affect the mixture.
It would probably make the car stink of oil fumes though!
Glad it is sorted.
As far as the keyless go is concerned, I have to have my card quite close to the gear lever for it to work properly, so I keep it in my left pocket.
the batteries it is on about are the two in the card, not the fob.
Make sure you get the same ones for replacement, as those button batteries come in different thicknesses, and if you get the thicker ones, you cant get the cover (Which is crap anyway) back on properly.
If you dont have one of these, then thats where your problem is:
63296-abd2553186b905c0ae212e923efe74bc.jpg

^ An E55 doesn't have a keyless card Steve. It's two type 2025 batteries in the fob.
And sometimes, when the batteries were getting low, I had a cluster reminder "key not recognised" message appear. Move the key closer to the EIS and key was recognised again.
Solution...........two new key fob batteries.

As you already mentioned, I doubt keyless had anything to do with the surging Lee experienced. It was that pipe.

^ An E55 doesn't have a keyless card Steve. It's two type 2025 batteries in the fob.
And sometimes, when the batteries were getting low, I had a cluster reminder "key not recognised" message appear. Move the key closer to the EIS and key was recognised again.
Solution...........two new key fob batteries.

As you already mentioned, I doubt keyless had anything to do with the surging Lee experienced. It was that pipe.
OK, so they dont have the easily broken, never in range card system then.
Lucky swines!

Hi Chaps
Well my problem has never reappeared since the little pipe was plugged back in...! Car has run like a dream, it always does... reason I mentioned the keyless go was it kinda freaked itself out on the startup as I said .. feeling and sounding like it was starting really fast if that makes sense. I do know that when I turned it off the last time I used it, there were no probs on idle or hunting revs... anyway battery message has never come back either... it’s all good fingers crossed
Cheers
Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom