Laptop for wife for Christmas advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Hi gang

Wifey has decided that she would like a new laptop for Christmas :rolleyes:

All it will be used for is general surfing the net , playing scrabble , farmville , fashion wars , mafia wars etc on Facebook , occasional emails , putting photos on and stuff like that.

Won't be used for work as she has a work laptop for that.

I'm not looking for one that could send a rocket to Pluto , just a reasonable all round one.

Don't know a lot abut computers , so am relying on you lot to help ;)

15 inch + widescreen would be good too ...

Not too worried about brand , anyone got any advice / recommendations on where to get one cheap?

Thanks in advance

H

Gateway shouldnt be allowed to do business in the UK anymore in my opinion.

They went into receivership in the UK, leaving people high and dry for machines and warranty that had been paid for.

Then a couple of years they later they start trading in the UK again using an offshore entity as if nothing had happened. :crazy:

I would never buy a Dell ! Never used one and never will ! IBM Lenovo or Apple !

Probably a bit more than she needs to be honest .

Hello

So much choice its very hard....

With John Lewis and Costco you get 2 to 5 yr warranty.

I have two Toshiba's (A wide screen 17" and a Netbook 200) which I think are great. Wife has a Mac Book which she loves (as its white...)

So rather than what I would go for, what spec to look for as all makes offer very similar units..

Intel Processor
3gb RAM
250GB min Hard drive
Windows 7
15.6" screen

and too be honest a £400 machine will do everything you / your wife needs. No need to spend huge amounts these days. Don't forget though software (legal software) will add to your overall costs as buying a laptop you only get the Operating system. I use AVG for antivirus (free) and you can use open office as your microsoft office... (free)

This looks good for a quick google..

PACKARD BELL EASYNOTE TJ68-AU-031 review cheap prices EASYNOTE TJ68-AU-031 PACKARD BELL best buy discount online uk shop

Normal surfing, letters, excel, photos and Itunes etc will work fine.

Look at Argos refurbs on ebay in their webshop -- Fianna put me onto that one..

Please Don't Buy A Dell.

I would never buy a Dell ! Never used one and never will ! IBM Lenovo or Apple !

You're a good judge.

I spent £944 on a DELL a few months ago (I listed the spec on here at some point) and it was the biggest pile of rubbish you could imagine.

Countless faults (keyboard inop, mouse pad useless, crashed etc).

I had to drag DELL kicking, screaming and bucking to get a refund and they deliberately made that process as awkward as possible - NIGHTMARE. :ban:

Disappointing because I had heard good reports too.

A warning to all. DON'T buy a DELL.

Dell market their computers on what colours they are available in. :crazy:

The machine I had for a couple of weeks was made in Poland which surprised me.

Looked at a £400 Lenovo laptop this week out of interest.

Looked very solidly put together and the keyboard is rather IBMesque.

Looked at a £400 Lenovo laptop this week out of interest.

Looked very solidly put together and the keyboard is rather IBMesque.

But does it come in a pretty colour?

Lenovo's are industrial quality devices only men would appreciate. The intended purchase is for Howards wife where it matters not how fast it is or whether the hinges are made of titanium or that the keyboard has drainage holes.

It needs to be girly and cute.

Howard - get her a pink Dell Inspiron. (about £400)

A warning to all. DON'T buy a DELL.

Dell market their computers on what colours they are available in. :crazy:

The machine I had for a couple of weeks was made in Poland which surprised me.

I think you were unlucky and got a friday model. Dell have a very very good reputation.

Where do you think other branded laptops are made now?

Lenovo Czech Republic
HP China
Dell Poland
HP China
Sony Singapore & France

It is a global market place.

I think you were unlucky and got a friday model. Dell have a very very good reputation.

Where do you think other branded laptops are made now?

Lenovo Czech Republic
HP China
Dell Poland
HP China
Sony Singapore & France

It is a global market place.

I think you are probably correct.

I bought DELL after hearing glowing reports and more importantly being able to take the sameday on-site repair service (cost around £340 of the £944).

The protracted battle to near-death to get the thing collected and refunded really hacked me off though - most unpleasant and time consuming.

I suppose the machine is now in a Dell clearance centre after having the faults fixed.

IIRC Whizkid recently said that most of the major laptops now are made to last 2-3 years tops.

Howard,
I went through the same search recently. Look here.

The only advice I can offer is DO NOT BUY HP. They have a huge problem with the sound driver on nearly every model.

I bought an unbranded (good spec) model from ebuyer and am very pleased with it.

Other places to search ... Play.com, laptopdirect. Make sure ou get one with windows 7 (or the upgrade option).

Pop along to PC World and have a look at the Advent range (their own brand I think).

Many people poo poo PC World, but their products are all guaranteed and you can go to any branch if you have a problem or want an upgrade.

If you just want something cheap and cheerful there is nothing wrong with it.

ADVENT 6651 Laptops - Cheap ADVENT Laptops. Buy the ADVENT 6651 laptop at PC World.

Apple laptops may be too expensive for what you have in mind and are geared for design/AV aesthetics.

I get a free Lenovo from work and like its blackness, but I don't think it suitable for your wife.

I have a Dell at home and found it to be very reliable with no issues at all, they also do some nice coloured ones though my wife chose a pink Sony Vaio in the end.

If its not going to be a surprise let her choose!

Windows 7 is a new operating system, I'm not sure how good or bad it is, 2gb of RAM is enough really and only get a large hard drive if she is planning on storing lots of movies/thousands of songs etc...otherwise its not worth it.

My standard method these days is to go and look through Dell Outlet (removing "scratch and dent" from the search) and then, with a shortlist, calling them on 0844 444 5518 to:

a) check that the model I am considering has a very recent build date (i.e. its a cancellation rather than a return)

b) get the "service tag" so I can check all the details of the exact spec while talking to them

b) get a "bit more off", a freebie or 2, or maybe both...

Usually a 30-40% saving and indistinguishable from new.

Just grabbed a Red Studio XPS 16 for daughter 2 with a massive spec at 41% off the new price and its impossible to tell its not new (the freebies this time were a neoprene slip case and a bluetooth mouse).

New stock is added several times through the day (in the week) so a window open and a few searches will be needed to get what you want.

Laptop for wife?

Ok, but only if it has a decent screen resolution, and theres no come-back if you don't like my wife.

:D

I'll get my coat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom