Least rusting MB models?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After reading this I am going to keep my fingers crossed (2003 clk no sign yet)

I see the W124 has had little mention (none apart from the OP I think)!

The only hand-built bit on AMGs is the engine.

All engines are handbuilt.

The AMG "hand-built" phrase is just marketing to suck in the gullible and rip them off.

Seems to work as most people that buy AMG cars are egotistical. The profit margin on AMG stuff is immense.

I see the W124 has had little mention (none apart from the OP I think)!

No rust on my 20 year old coupe, but then it lives in a dry garage and has only done 50k miles.

I expect that most owners though have had some sort of front wing issue with rusting folowed by the rear arches rusting too. I have seen photos of some with rusted jacking points. But overall for 20+ years old the W124 range has been pretty rust resisitant compared to some of its contemporaries, like my Ford Cargo 0813 for example!

No rust on my 20 year old coupe, but then it lives in a dry garage and has only done 50k miles.

I expect that most owners though have had some sort of front wing issue with rusting folowed by the rear arches rusting too. I have seen photos of some with rusted jacking points. But overall for 20+ years old the W124 range has been pretty rust resisitant compared to some of its contemporaries, like my Ford Cargo 0813 for example!

With me it was both front (and I guess rear, though I never checked) inner wheel arches, all 4 outer wheel arches, sills, jacking points, the whole underside basically, and the passenger door at the top of the plastic cladding (BADLY!). I know the newer E class had much worse rust but it's almost as if the arches on the W124 were designed to collect water

With me it was both front (and I guess rear, though I never checked) inner wheel arches, all 4 outer wheel arches, sills, jacking points, the whole underside basically, and the passenger door at the top of the plastic cladding (BADLY!). I know the newer E class had much worse rust but it's almost as if the arches on the W124 were designed to collect water

With the benefit of foresight I now make sure that the inner arch lips are kept mud free and especially the mud trap towards the front othe front wheel arch just above the bumper.

The plastic cladding loves to rub trapped grit. Its not a brilliant design.:(

The problem started when MB got in bed with Chrysler and a cost cutting program
poor paint ie waterbourne,non anticorrosive primers,lack of coatings and DFT around sharp edges ie wheelarches and so no

I've never seen a rusty Chrysler 300c or one of those weird looking front wheel drive ones either, the PTCruiser. Seems harsh to blame Chrysler:bannana:

The W204 has only been around for five or six years and the W212 even less, so a bit early to make a judgement on this issue, though my W204 is looking good so far.

1991 W463 & 1997 R129 both rust free :D:D

Mines a W211 DEC 2003 (53) just starting under the two rear arches,nothing visible from the outside, nearly 9.5 years old id say thats brilliant;)

Well my 1996 C200 must be an extremely good example. No rust underneath at all. Last year I had very slight rusting of both front arches which was easily rubbed down and covered over. It had not spread to the surfaces which show and seems to be in check now after what has been a very soggy winter. This car is exceptional and I have every confidence it will remain rust free for may years to come. Had it 7 years now and I'll keep it 'til it drops !

All the rust is escaping from from under my cars paint. Wheel arches, door handles. behind the doors, under the doors. random spots on bonnet and under tailgate and lets not forget the underside which was resprayed about 4-5 years ago. Thanks MB !

Least rusting MB model? Airfix SL300 Gullwing.....

Just written off a very nice 200 W203 C43 AMG. O/S sill totally rusted and not economical to repair.

Have kept faith a bought a nice 200 SL320 - rust free according to the AA inspection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom