LED running lights

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Smatt, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Smatt

Smatt Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 E350Cdi Cab Auto, 2011 E350Cdi Estate Auto
    I am intersted in modding my CL203 rear lights with LEDs in a strip (rather than just a replacement led bulb in the bulb socket).
    Can anyone recommend any component LEDs of correct voltage & high intensity?
    Are SLK style leds available individually, or do they only come as a complete light cluster unit?
    Would also consider R8 style strip in headlights possibly.

Advice/suggestions gratefully received
    Thanks, Matt

2. Shude

Shude MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
    My only recommendation here is that you find an oem item to do this rather than making your own, unless you intend to make some to be sent away for type-approval! Making your own headlamp and tail lamp components is a bit dangerous IMHO, even if they apparently work perfectly you leave yourself open to litigation in the event of an accident or something.

3. R2D2

R2D2 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C350
    OK, go outside and look at the back of your car. Does it say Audi R8 or Vauvhall Corsa on it? If yes, then fit LED strip lights in the headlights because you own a supercar or you are 18 and don't know any better. If it says Mercedes on the back and you threaten to cut it up and insert LEDs into it we will have no option but to report you to the RSPCM (Mercedes) and have you arrested for cruelty! If the RSPCM won't stop you then we'll report you to the taste Police.:D

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  4. OP
    OP
    Smatt

Car:
    Note the 'possibly'!
    A lot of mercs have led strips in tail lights anyway. I believe it is MB shortcutting that they do not make LEDs standard in all their new cars, which is poor imho, considering they are a premium marque and the obvious benefits of LEDs
    The MB fascination concept car has fibreoptics in headlight.
    What is the wrong with putting in some subtle, well executed functional LEDs of legal colour, when a lot of MB owners put in those non funtional naff blue sidelights or blue LEDs on their washer jets?? Most MBs have an LED brakelight already too.
    If I do this mod, then it would be done subtly!

I am particularly asking for advice on parts, but thanks for the feedback R2 & Shude.

5. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    Are you looking to do away with the conventional sidelights / taillights , and just put on extra 'running' lights or do the whole hog ?

There are sellers on Ebay that offer LED taillights ( not sure if they do one yet for the w203 , but they will in time ...) for example , these for the W208 ..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MERCEDES-CLK-...39:1|66:2|65:10|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

and here's a chap who sells the LED front light strips.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LED-HEAD-LIGH...39:1|66:2|65:10|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

any good ?

6. OP
    OP
    Smatt

Car:
    Thanks Howard,
    I was considering using the existing rear lamps (facelift rears on my Cl203) & inserting some LEDs behind the lens to replace the rear sidelights. As the lens is red in the specific area planned, the LEDs could be white.
    The intensity would need to match 5w bulb level- the R8 style strips may be too bright for the rears, but not sure. Guess I will just need to experiment. I may get some of the LED 'bulbs' as these should be equivalent intensity & start dismantling..
    Cheers

7. tudu

tudu Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    05 C200K Sport Edition (Kleemann)
    Yes, there is a Danish company on ebay that used to do pre-facelift LED rear tails for W203. I actually did have a set a few months ago but they were either 6 pin or 7 pin can't remember, but they didn't fit so i sold them on.

8. OP
    OP
    Smatt

Car:
    Thanks, but this is a CL203. Unfortunately aftermarket parts are much rarer for the C-coupe than the saloon...

Btw, tudu, did you ever fit the performance kit on your c200, or did the C55 divert your attention? Would be interested in how good it is.