Locking wheel nut

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigSilverEstate

Car
2011 E350cdi Sport Estate, and the wife's car: 2008 Audi A4 Avant 2.0tdi
Took the car to the local tyre and brake shop as I noticed one of the tyre pressures was very low. Discovered at this point that the little case containing the locking wheel nut was missing

It has been to two MB dealers in the past six weeks, both for work with the wheels off. Yes, yes I am a chump for not checking it was there in collection and I have learnt my lesson. I am convinced it is sitting in one of their workshops, have called one and waiting for the other to ring me back. Two questions:

Is it true as the first dealer told me that they will often use a master key to remove the wheel (sounds plausible but I have no idea - would be a very useful thing for a thief to have!)

If the worst comes to the worst does anyone know the cost and how long it takes to get a replacement?

A very annoying problem as I am effectively immobilised for anything but short hops for fear of a puncture!

I don`t know if any good but I`ve a set of w204 and 211 locking nuts
Brand new in a box,your for free if any good and collection would be great

Thank you very much for that kind offer. I wonder if i am getting my terminology wrong though. I am missing the key for the funny shaped bolt which I thought was unique to the car? (As well as the other wheel nuts that live in the same little box)

Thank you very much for that kind offer. I wonder if i am getting my terminology wrong though. I am missing the key for the funny shaped bolt which I thought was unique to the car? (As well as the other wheel nuts that live in the same little box)

Yes,the ones you`re missing is for all the 4 bolts
If the dealer has that master key,why not ask the to take all four bolts then you can put the new ones in?

If they used your key then the second dealer would have been the one who used it last.

I would hope that a dealer would let you know if they couldn't find the key - it would be good service and a sales opportunity for them.

Peugeot did this to me years ago and removed/replaced the locking nuts for me without argument when I contacted them. I think they must have a master key - can you imagine trying to drill off hardened wheel nuts without damaging the alloys!?

The dealers do have a master set so should not have needed your key assuming they are MB original locking nuts. They will be able to order a new one if you need it.

Thanks everyone - well MB Dartford got back to me (the first garage that had it) and admitted they did accidentally hold onto the little box, but thankfully it was still there. So a 70 mile round trip for me and thanks to my in laws for babysitting at short notice as I was supposed to be looking after the kids this afternoon. Fair play to the dealer for owning up, I was expecting a lot of aggro and probably expense out of this.

Dont forget to ask for at least your petrol money ,plus inconvenience money

They have master sets but they wouldnt use it unless they couldnt find yours.
Its far easier to use the one in the car than going through 40 odd in the master set trying to find the right one.

nigel cross said:
Dont forget to ask for at least your petrol money ,plus inconvenience money

I know this is good advice and is also what my MIL said on my return home, but I wonder how many people actually in that situation would come out and ask for £30 or whatever. I just couldn't really face haggling with them.

jaymanek said:
They have master sets but they wouldnt use it unless they couldnt find yours.
Its far easier to use the one in the car than going through 40 odd in the master set trying to find the right one.

Hmm. I suspect MB Dartford either noticed it was missing or could not be bothered searching when it was not immediately found, and resorted to using the master. Would have been nice if try had mentioned they couldn't see it but you rarely get to speak to the person actually doing the work,

" you rarely get to speak to the person actually doing the work "

That's why i do prefer independents sometimes, but you have to find good one's you can trust :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom