Looking for advice to improve ride quality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gototravel

Car
viano
Bought a 10 yrs old merc having 110k on the clock, driving smooth, but the ride isn't very good and making clunk noise over uneven roads. I am looking for some advice to improve the ride quality. thanks in advance. Neo

Model, wheel and tyre details would be good start. But before we even get that information at 110K on the clock I'd be checking if the shock absorbers and bushes on the car were still operable.

Agree with Red C220, if you're hearing clunks, the components of the suspension that give you the smooth ride have failed.

Bushes that fail enough to make a noise should show visible deterioration, so it's worth having a good look at all the "moving bits" underneath.

Shock absorbers (dampers) rarely give away anything visually, unless they are leaking, but you can be sure at that mileage they're worth changing.

Euro Car Parts have some good deals at the moment, you don't have to go OEM to get a good ride.

All the above being said, you need to assure yourself thet the viano has an acceptible ride (to you) in the first place. Get a ride in another one (preferrably lower mileage) and see if there's a difference.

If it's roughly the same, you may need to consider something else....

thanks both of you for the advice. I will have the damper and bushes check out first.

Whether the ride is good or bad, if it's quiet that will make you think the ride has improved even if it is still firm. Mine felt like a new car after eliminating a suspension clunk.

Have the track rod end on the driver side changed, it improves a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom