• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Looking to buy a C180 Auto thats 9-10 years old, any advice?

at13

Car
Civic
Hi,

I cuirently drive an auto 2011 Honda Civic Type S (leased) and am thinking of buying a Merc C180 auto

I have £3,000ish to spend and have seen this 2004 C180 on autotrader:

Mercedes-Benz C Class C180K SE 3dr Auto Sport Coupe 1.8

It does have 82,000 on the clock though, how reliable are C180's when we go beyond 100k?

its a dealer and doesnt comment on service history so guess it doesnt have FSH

I read rust isa problem in mercs that are 10+ years old

ive seen this C180 thats £1500 more but come with Full service history but does have 7k more miles on the clock:

Mercedes-Benz C Class C180K SE 3dr Auto 1.8

what else should i be looking for or questioning when looking at a C180 Auto around 8-10 years old?
my car/mechanics knowledge is limited so a heads up would be appreciated

p.s due to disability i will need it to be an auto and will get hand controls installed

thanks

Last edited:
I am not up with these cars but there may be a problem with engines if it's the type 271 engine code.

Suggest you research or wait for more answers.

If looking for a C class then try find the face lift version that came out in 2004, it has a much better and higher quality interior, the corrosion problems that the pre-facelift cars can suffer from had been largely dealt with by fully galvanising the body and the potential problems of gearbox damage from coolant leaking onto the gearbox from faulty Valeo radiators, There were many other improvements as well.

Also, do not restrict yourself to just the 180 and remember that this and other engines come in various states of tune, some with and some without Superchargers, the base 180 is very low powered and will not be any better on fuel in use than the more powerful versions.

Classic models are the most poorly equipped, Elegance models have higher equipment levels, usually with wood trim, Avantgarde are a little sportier with slightly firmer suspension and usually have aluminium trim.

Try to find one with leather and heated seats, Xenon lights are also worth having but the standard lights are acceptable if properly set.

Condition is all as in buying any car.

I am not up with these cars but there may be a problem with engines if it's the type 271 engine code.

Suggest you research or wait for more answers.

High-mileage (100k+) M271 engine may suffer from timing chain stretch leading to failure if not replaced. So when purcahsing a high-mileage car it is a good idea to listen carefully to the front of the engine for any timing chain rattle.

All M271 engines are susceptible to ECU contamination though oil travelling up the loom, there's a simple modification for to the cam sensors connectors that eliminates this, but when buying a car it is important to check that the connectors are dry i.e. the cam sensors have not already leaked into the loom.

There's also a vacuum pipe under the airbox that can brittle, leading to EML light and limp-home mode, the part is inexpensive but the airbox has to come off to reach it.

I am not aware of any other issues with M271 engine but others might want to add.

Last edited:
If looking for a C class then try find the face lift version that came out in 2004, it has a much better and higher quality interior, the corrosion problems that the pre-facelift cars can suffer from had been largely dealt with by fully galvanising the body and the potential problems of gearbox damage from coolant leaking onto the gearbox from faulty Valeo radiators, There were many other improvements as well.

Also, do not restrict yourself to just the 180 and remember that this and other engines come in various states of tune, some with and some without Superchargers, the base 180 is very low powered and will not be any better on fuel in use than the more powerful versions.

Classic models are the most poorly equipped, Elegance models have higher equipment levels, usually with wood trim, Avantgarde are a little sportier with slightly firmer suspension and usually have aluminium trim.

Try to find one with leather and heated seats, Xenon lights are also worth having but the standard lights are acceptable if properly set.

Condition is all as in buying any car.

As far as I know: Facelift Classic SE are missing the following:

Heated front seats
Bi-Xenon
COMAND (they come with Audi 20)
Sunroof
Wood on door card (though there's wood on the centre console, or brushed aluminium if Sport model)
Real Leather or Artico (fake lather) - Classic comes with cloth upholstery
Parktronic
Larger wheels (they come with 16" as standard)
Convenience Telephony (essentially integrated phone cradle and/or Bluetooth)
Electronic Climate Control with digital display (they have the 'basic' Climate Control with round knobs)
Split-folding rear seat, or opening for ski equipment - the boot is completely separated from the rear seat
Drilled front brake discs - they have the usual ventilated discs, but not drilled.
Memory seats (they have part-eclectic seats - i.e. only the height adjustment is electric, the rest is mechanical)
ISOFIX

I am sure the SE is missing some other bits...

They do have folding mirrors though, and I believe also heated side mirrors, and auto-dimming rear-view mirror and driver's-side wing mirror.

Heated front seats
Bi-Xenon
Sunroof
Wood on door card (though there's wood on the centre console, or brushed aluminium if Sport model)
Parktronic
Electronic Climate Control with digital display (they have the 'basic' Climate Control with round knobs)
Split-folding rear seat, or opening for ski equipment - the boot is completely separated from the rear seat
Drilled front brake discs - they have the usual ventilated discs, but not drilled.
Memory seats (they have part-eclectic seats - i.e. only the height adjustment is electric, the rest is mechanical)
ISOFIX

I am sure the SE is missing some other bits...

They do have folding mirrors though, and I believe also heated side mirrors, and auto-dimming rear-view mirror and driver's-side wing mirror.

As well as base specification cars a lot did have options fitted so it is always worth taking time to find a specification that you are happy with.

Heated front seats
Bi-Xenon
Sunroof
Parktronic
ISOFIX

Most of those are options and not fitted as standard on any trim level of facelift C Class.

Taking into account your disability problem I would not be looking at a high mileage C180K W203 without a cast iron service history. I think you could do better than a Cat C car any way! That's a repairable car that an insurance co has written off rather than repair on grounds of cost.

.....- i did read C180's have build quality issues but not sure how i can check for this?

My 2006 car was built in MB's South Africa factory, and at 7 years old it is the second most reliable car I eved had (first place goes to our 1997 Toyota that is still going strong!). It only ever had a couple of very minor issues. And no rust...

i didnt realise what CAT C meant, i will avoid that one,

i am after a black C180 but this navy one does look legit, one previous owner, FSH, 70k miles:

Mercedes-Benz C180 Kompressor 1.8 SE Automatic | eBay

any thoughts?

- i did read C180's have build quality issues but not sure how i can check for this?

LOOKS OK on brief inspection of pics-- its a dealer that selling it. So technically 2 owners I.E. It's not the original owner selling it- most likely scenario- original owner traded it in for a new/newer mercedes- dealer rather than retail sold it on to the trade/ auction where this dealer bid for it.
I tend to like one owner cars with a service history [ was it a FMBSH =full mercedes benz service history] I wonder or independents. I would be looking carefully at the date and likely provenance of that last service---- sometimes there's a bit of a black hole in a service history- if for example that 69,500 service was done 2 years ago then alarm bells would start to ring. Mot CERTS can be useful as a continuity of mileage v age check.

Not sure what 'front spot lights' mean - it should either have Xenons/HIDs, or normal headlamps, I am not aware of non-Xenon spotlights fitted to W203?

After a quick browse on eBay there are lots out there.

An advantgarde will give you better spec.

Are you a wheelchair user? Why not an estate?

If you can broaden you choices as to colour even better.

My 2006 car was built in MB's South Africa factory, and at 7 years old it is the second most reliable car I eved had (first place goes to our 1997 Toyota that is still going strong!). It only ever had a couple of very minor issues. And no rust...

I don't know where the 2006 C180K auto Evolution S Sports Coupe that I'm helping my lad to sell was built, but I have to say it's stood the test of time very well so far inside and out.

I don't know where the 2006 C180K auto Evolution S Sports Coupe that I'm helping my lad to sell was built, but I have to say it's stood the test of time very well so far inside and out.

Apparently, if the 11th digit on the VIN is either the letter R or the letter S, then the car was built in East London, South Africa.

Hi all,

Yes i use a wheelchair so its important the car is reliable (but will have breakdown cover),
ive spoken to the seller who is a vernioce older gent, he stresses how the car is in fantastic condition, no problems at all with the car including no rust
he said it drives fine with no faults what so ever.
it has had yearly merc services from new
1 previous owner as the seller has not registered it as his own.
its done 70,700 miles.
he checked the log book, and under engine it says : M271 and several other numbers
so as it only has 70k for a car registered in 11/2003, does the warning not apply?
the seller was an older man, and seems very sincere, but i understand this means nothing

i plan to view the car this weekend,
anything else i should check besides:
- check that the connectors are dry i.e. the cam sensors have not already leaked into the loom.

- There's also a vacuum pipe under the airbox that can brittle, leading to EML light and limp-home mode, the part is inexpensive but the airbox has to come off to reach it.
how do i check this?

Mercedes-Benz C180 Kompressor 1.8 SE Automatic | eBay

thank you

Last edited:
Well the above advice is all very useful.

I'm a wheelchair user so personally would be looking at estates.

Also electric seats, especially with memory, are very handy if your putting you seat back to lift your wheelchair into the car.

The E Class Class a single stalk on the left that means hand controls are not in the way of switch gear. Not sure about this model.

I'd look at higher spec cars to. Advantgarde spec has a lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom