• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Luton Airport car park fire

Well apart from the resale value of EV's going down the toilet,and their insurance going through the roof and the cost of charging them around the country costing more everything is ok if this RR was a diesel,the sale of EV's has stalled and after today I suggest that many frankly crazy buyers may well cancel a order,because the case against running a EV there for all to see,and this RR just might be one of those new EV's I hope not, hate to hit a man/EV when he/it is down
Most dreams/fantasies are best kept private; they don’t come true you know😉
He’s (sarcastically?) insinuating that your insurance is heavily discounted due to your lower range (compared to ICE cars)
prior to getting my EV6 I had a Macan, which while being a hoot to drive, had a laughable range compared to the ev6. The annual insurance of both is roughly the same, circa £360.

He’s (sarcastically?) insinuating that your insurance is heavily discounted due to your lower range (compared to ICE cars)
Tbh my lowest form of wit was with regard to the reducing range from batteries, as an EV gets closer to becoming an economically unviable technologically superior ornament.

But really, what with NOX sensors, ad blue tanks and blocked DPF's, diesels 'aint gonna be on the road for much longer.

Maybe in realisation the RR owner thought an insurance claim was the best way out.

Tbh my lowest form of wit was with regard to the reducing range from batteries, as an EV gets closer to becoming an economically unviable technologically superior ornament.

But EV range (remember EV have been around for a decade or more) does not reduce any more than mpg reduces on ICE cars over time - this is research and lived experience, rather than internet rumours…

Seems it was a Hybrid 23 plate Disco Sport.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So you can all stop bickering now that we know , so now EV fanboys can blame dino juice - EV haters can blame the battery.

Seems like a win - win for both sides of the argument .

K

Whatever it was that was the root cause, it goes to show that fire + cars in close proximity = catastrophe.

On a separate note I wonder if the insurance claims will ultimately work their way back to the - rather unfortunate - insurer of the root cause vehicle?

On a separate note I wonder if the insurance claims will ultimately work their way back to the - rather unfortunate - insurer of the root cause vehicle?

Or the insurance company back heel it onto JLR being such a new vehicle.

K

An optimist !

I don’t know the layout or numbers, but how easy is it to reopen the airport if it has lost a significant part of its parking?
There's 4 car parks at Luton, they lost 1700 spaces with the collapse of Car Park 2 which accounts for about 20% of their parking. (Midstay is circa 2000 spaces, Long stay is 4200-ish, Car Park 1 circa 1300?)

There's 4 car parks at Luton, they lost 1700 spaces with the collapse of Car Park 2 which accounts for about 20% of their parking. (Midstay is circa 2000 spaces, Long stay is 4200-ish, Car Park 1 circa 1300?)
Surely they’ll just ask Vauxhall to lend em some space nearby? 😉

I did not read every post on here , neither am I one of those paranoid anti EV blokes . But lets be clear when they do catch fire (for whatever reason ) they are a swine to put out.

From what I hear there are no EV charging stations in this part of Luton airport, good news .

But an anti EV conspiracy theorist could pop up saying that the official reported cause of this massive fire was a Diesel car spontaneously combusting (an every day occurrence .considering how many Diesel cars there are in the world. ...no ?.)

And the fact that major news outlets (BBC) were telling us this was fact even as the fire was in full swing.

Great news , sometimes a house fire in which people die takes weeks for the forensic evidence to come through with the reason for combustion.

But EV range (remember EV have been around for a decade or more) does not reduce any more than mpg reduces on ICE cars over time - this is research and lived experience, rather than internet rumours…
Bit of a surprise that.

Our 2009 211 (138k miles) can still see over 50mpg on a run.

The 2014 Viano (189k miles) covered 1,500 during a week in August. It returned an actual 38.3mpg.

They're about as good as ever could have expected of them methinks.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So you can all stop bickering now that we know , so now EV fanboys can blame dino juice - EV haters can blame the battery.

Seems like a win - win for both sides of the argument .

K

I really can't fathom how a localised fire that was detected early-on, managed to get out of control. Especially at an airport where you'd expect they'll be fire crews on the ready?

I am not one to spot a conspiracy everywhere, far from it. But my life experience taught me to take the fire service reports with a grain of salt.

A few years back, a piece of IT kit in the server room at one of our customers caught fire. LFB attended, put out the fire, and called-in a chap whom they referred to as 'the scientist'.

It was, in fact, an external contractor who was hired by the LFB to carry out forensic investigations.

The official LFB report was laughable and made no sense, all 30 pages of it, everything was wrong.

When the customer's insurer came knocking on our door, we hired a real forensic experts who needed only one call to demonstrate to the insurer that the report was gobbledygook and the whole thing went away.

It seemed to me that LFB were just ticking boxes. My guess is that they are annoyed at the requirement to carry out an investigation and issue a report after each fire, and as result they only take seriously the big ones. But that's just my personal opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom