M4 Mobile Speed Cameras??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Disclaimer: For educational reasons only, the speed limit is there for safety and it is not to be exceeded at any time etc etc etc....

This is purely for educational reasons

How do these work exactly? Are they only to be positioned in areas where there are 'speed camera' signs up but no fixed cameras? For example on the M4 between Newport to the Severn bridge, and around Swindon etc?

There are other areas such as after Cardiff westbound there are no speed camera signs, so does this mean mobile speed vans cannot park up?

I was driving on this route, cruise control set to 70mph, and EVERY SINGLE car flew past me.... however on PistonHeads posts from a few years ago seem to talk of the M4 as being littered with vans, I however have never seen one ever in the last few months although I am not particularly looking for them.

Thanks

Last edited:
I know there was a government initiative to provide signs where fixed cameras are located, but I don’t believe it’s a legal requirement. This was because the cameras were perceived as being purposely hidden to generate greater revenue.

Mobile speed camera vans can be placed wherever they like just as long as it’s safe to do so. They don’t need signs to indicate they are there. I drive to Cardiff via the A48 quite regularly and hardly ever see units. In fact last Sunday there was one on the A48 bridge, which has got to be a first for me. The only other time I’ve seen a unit is on the toll side of the Severn Crossing.

Of all the times I’ve driven westbound again, once in a blue moon.

If you want to see roads riddled in units, go to Scotland. I’m sure I saw one every day I was there in various locations. In fact two years ago heading south along the A1, I passed at least four fixed cameras and just for good measure, there was a van literally at the English border!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mobile speed camera vans can be placed wherever they like just as long as it’s safe to do so. They don’t need signs to indicate they are there. I drive to Cardiff via the A48 quite regularly and hardly ever see units.

I have seen these vans almost cause accidents, with vehicles slamming on the brakes. One example was on the A43, one Audi in the right lane slammed on its brakes, almost causing the BMW behind it to ram into it... I wonder how many accidents these 'safety' vans cause.

As for them being on bridges, are they quite visible then? I have literally NEVER seen one on a bridge, do they actually look like on the stock photos online? As per below?

police-operated-mobile-speed-detection-camera-van-parked-on-a-motorway-AEJ2GE.jpg

If so I am surprise people fail to spot them? Anyhow its too much stress, simply set the cruise on 70 and relax.

I have seen these vans almost cause accidents, with vehicles slamming on the brakes. One example was on the A43, one Audi in the right lane slammed on its brakes, almost causing the BMW behind it to ram into it... I wonder how many accidents these 'safety' vans cause.

As for them being on bridges, are they quite visible then? I have literally NEVER seen one on a bridge, do they actually look like on the stock photos online? As per below?

police-operated-mobile-speed-detection-camera-van-parked-on-a-motorway-AEJ2GE.jpg

If so I am surprise people fail to spot them?
The vans do NOT cause accidents. The accidents are caused by a mix of people driving at above the speed limit, often not knowing what the speed limit is, not being observant enough to spot the vans in time to avoid the need to brake heavily, and driving too close to the vehicle in front when it brakes heavily.

If so I am surprise people fail to spot them? Anyhow its too much stress, simply set the cruise on 70 and relax.

Drive the M74 in the Dumfries and Galloway area. There’s one on the bridge there 90% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The vans do NOT cause accidents. The accidents are caused by a mix of people driving at above the speed limit, often not knowing what the speed limit is, not being observant enough to spot the vans in time to avoid the need to brake heavily, and driving too close to the vehicle in front when it brakes heavily.

However, at the end of the day. If the vans were not there, the accident wouldn't have happened. So indeed they did cause the accidents?

Yes but they are usually closer to the sides trying to skulk in the bushes etc .....

A few points:

• Mobile enforcement can be undertaken anywhere - warning signs are not a pre-requisite
  • Overbridges are a favourite location as the operator gets extended visibility and can "ping" a vehicle up to 1km away
  • This means that by the time a driver has spotted the van, it's generally too late to adjust their speed if they were travelling above the limit as they would already have been detected
  • UK motorways are the safest roads to travel on full stop. A huge proportion of vehicles not fitted with a mandatory speed limiter travel at a speed in excess of the limit on motorways. A cynic may form the view that mobile enforcement on motorways is a great revenue raiser that has approximately zero impact on road safety

However, at the end of the day. If the vans were not there, the accident wouldn't have happened. So indeed they did cause the accidents?

I'm with knighterrant. The person braking dangerously caused the accident. What if it was just a white van parked up?

I'm with knighterrant. The person braking dangerously caused the accident. What if it was just a white van parked up?

Lets end this branch of the conversation before it revolves into a 15 page spiral of arguments. :)

Quote "I was driving on this route, cruise control set to 70mph, and EVERY SINGLE car flew past me.... however on PistonHeads posts from a few years ago seem to talk of the M4 as being littered with vans, I, however, have never seen one ever in the last few months although I am not particularly looking for them." end Quote
On my W205 with the cruise set at 70 the Road Angel and TomTom are saying 67 so if the mobile camera is set at say 75 there's a fair margin. Even more so if 10%+2.
As for "time to slow", my understanding is that the camera can clock one at up to a mile, so observation has to be pretty keen.

Quote "I was driving on this route, cruise control set to 70mph, and EVERY SINGLE car flew past me.... however on PistonHeads posts from a few years ago seem to talk of the M4 as being littered with vans, I, however, have never seen one ever in the last few months although I am not particularly looking for them." end Quote
On my W205 with the cruise set at 70 the Road Angel and TomTom are saying 67 so if the mobile camera is set at say 75 there's a fair margin. Even more so if 10%+2.
As for "time to slow", my understanding is that the camera can clock one at up to a mile, so observation has to be pretty keen.
Indeed. I’m sure I’m not the only one who sometimes gets a tad frustrated when stuck behind a car that’s clearly being driven such that the speedo shows the limit or less. (Yes I know it’s “a limit and not a target”, but when conditions are favourable it’s perfectly safe to drive at the true limit ;))

If observation can’t spot a van on a bridge before having been clocked, then what’s the point in braking heavily? My way round it, should I ever inadvertently find myself exceeding the limit, is to ease off when I can see a bridge ahead, just in case there’s a van on the top or a jam sandwich hiding behind a pillar!

Notwithstanding all that, there is an effective method to avoid getting caught speeding. It’s unknown to the majority of the motoring population, but as a service to my fellow club members I’m going to reveal a way around all the speed traps, whether fixed or mobile. I can’t vouch for the legality of this method, so following it has to be totally at your own risk. I just ask that nobody reports me to the authorities for divulging this: keep within the speed limit.

Indeed. I’m sure I’m not the only one who sometimes gets a tad frustrated when stuck behind a car that’s clearly being driven such that the speedo shows the limit or less. (Yes I know it’s “a limit and not a target”, but when conditions are favourable it’s perfectly safe to drive at well above the true limit ;))

Fixed that for you. No need to thank me...:D

I’ve only ever spotted a mobile camera once on the motorway. I was travelling north up the a1 Western bypass, as the road goes from a 70 down to a 50 there is a left hand bend. Sharp enough to not see what’s round the corner, as I got round the bend there was an electronic board showing a 50mph sign with a mobile camera van parked beside it. I was following the flow of traffic & got flashed doing 65, as did atleast another 25/30 cars in my proximity.

I have a business in the car delivery trade and I can tell you that M4, near Goodrich castle is a hotspot for speed guns. There's a bit there where it goes from 70 to 50 going uphill and then back up to 70 within half a mile and most people just keep at 70, and the welsh coppers love hiding away round the bend. A lot of people including my drivers got caught.

Another one is M6 Scottish border, just past Carlisle, there's almost always a van on the bridge.

Have you seen locals (mostly in remote villages) given proper speed guns to catch people speeding? If you do get snapped you get a police warning letter. :D

I have a business in the car delivery trade and I can tell you that M4, near Goodrich castle is a hotspot for speed guns. There's a bit there where it goes from 70 to 50 going uphill and then back up to 70 within half a mile and most people just keep at 70, and the welsh coppers love hiding away round the bend. A lot of people including my drivers got caught.

Another one is M6 Scottish border, just past Carlisle, there's almost always a van on the bridge.

Have you seen locals (mostly in remote villages) given proper speed guns to catch people speeding? If you do get snapped you get a police warning letter. :D

Correct me if I’m wrong but Goodrich Castle seems to be on the A40, near the M50. No where near the M4?

I’m pretty sure I know the place your talking about, have driven that’s route to Monmouth, and yes there was a van the day I went too. I slowed down to 50 as posted, a RR sport overtook me and undoubtedly got zapped.. he didn’t even hit the brakes, either he knew it was too late or wasn’t paying attention.

I stand corrected, you're right, that's what I wanted to say. :D

I was crossing the A34 travelling between Islip and Blechingdon recently and was curious to see someone on the bridge over the A34 with a camera on a tripod. Once close enough it was clear that the "someone" was a Police Officer and the camera was a speed camera aimed at the A34 traffic travelling South. There was a marked van on the Blechingdon side tucked away out of site of the A34 traffic.
It would have been difficult, if not impossible, for the A34 traffic to recognise the Officer/Camera before they were well within range of of their speed being recorded.

Mic

I believe the mobile speed camera vans do have to have a warning sign. But its on the back and side of the van so just warning you that you have been done by the time you see it. All this camera stuff has just led me to become a big fan of Distronic on Motorways. Set it at 75 all the way and get out at the other end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom