Manual W205 - is it that bad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mgarvey

Car
Skoda Octavia Scout
I wanted to get some advice on the manual C-class, ideally from someone who has owned one or driven one for a decent period. Let me explain why.

The lease on my current Skoda Octavia Scout runs out in June and my company is 'encouraging' me to take a company car instead of a car allowance. Since my current role requires some 25000+ miles per year I'm considering giving in without too much of a fight. Also worth considering is that I commute to Yorkshire, from Hampshire, and when I'm there live at the top of a steep hill, so if (when) it snows I'm not getting home in a RWD car without the right rubber.

My company car list is pretty simple - you have half a dozen models to choose from your grade, and the only option is colour.

The cars in my grade are:

Audi A4 Avant TDI 150 Sport auto
Audi A4 Saloon TDI 190 S-line manual
BMW 420d Gran Coupe Sport manual
Mercedes C220d Sport manual
Ford Mondeo TDCI Titanium X manual
Ford S-Max Titanium manual

Last year the BMW 520d SE was in this list too, but I suspect the new G30 model will be the next grade up (along with the E220d) and hence requires me to put more money in to get it.

Ignoring the Fords, which have their merits but don't excite me over a prestige compact exec, that leaves the Audi/BMW/Merc options.

The sensible money is on the A4 Avant, it is the only auto and most practical, but has some key disadvantages, such as cloth seats (with no lumbar support), and no LED lights (not a show-stopper but I do like them).

The saloon A4 in S-line trim has these extra niceties, looks good, and has a lovely smooth engine that puts the grumbly C220d unit to shame, but still only part-leather trim, no folding mirrors or heated seats etc.

I love the look of the 420d GC, and have owned several 3-series models in the past, so I know it will drive well. It is better specced than either Audi, has a practical hatchback boot, and is about to get a mild facelift. I also know the gearbox is springy, clutch heavy, and I'd need to spend money on winter wheels to stay mobile all year.

That brings me to the Merc. Initially I thought, 'manual Mercedes, no thanks', but looking a bit more closely the C220d Sport has a better spec than any of the other cars, and if it doesn't have runflat tyres (hard to tell from the website), I can change the rubber to Michelin Crossclimates and survive most conditions. I've also heard that the manual isn't that bad and Mercedes have done away with the horrible footbrake of old.

So, if you are still reading, my thanks, and I'd be interested to hear your views on the W205 manual. Obviously driving one is a sensible step, but a spin round the block with a dealer isn't going to be conclusive so real world experience may help me:

What is the manual gearbox like? Precise or sloppy (like the one in a W202 I drove years go)?
How heavy is the clutch and how easy to get the biting point right?
Where is the 'handbrake' these days on the w205?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Can't help with the gearbox but I've had 220d's are they aren't a bad place to do high mileage. Rather than Sport trim or not the question is can you get Premium or Premium Plus as that gets you all the extras/toys. Handbrake is a button to the right of the steering wheel. Disengages automatically so you don't really think about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The manual box is now more comparible to a BMW's IMO. Reverse is a firm shove over and gear changes are quite positive. It's good, certainly far far better than they ever were, but no match for a Ford manual (again, IMO)

The handbrake is now automatic, you also get the hold function which is quite nice to use and very straightforward. No more finding the biting point and dropping the handbrake.

The centre console looks a bit odd with a stick shift but a minor point.

Speak to the supplying lease company and get one for a try of course, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

No problem with mine. As good as any manual box I've had in BMW or Audi.
No problems at all. Smooth shift, tight positions, no issues.
Had mine for 18 months.

Can't help with a W205 but I've driven a manual W204 for 2 years now and that following 21 years in an auto.

Recent Mercedes manuals are a lot better than they are popularly given credit for. I'd say at least as good as BMW and possibly a lighter action. I'd agree it's not as good as the very best available but I find overall it's easy enough to live with and my only real complaint is that in typical long standing Mercedes fashion 1st gear ratio is much too low to be useful in normal driving. I resolve that problem by setting off in 2nd most of the time which is what the owners manual recommends.

I am a fan of manual gearboxes but have been driving an automatic in recent years due to driving mostly in congested central London.

Car magazines have been saying for the past 20 years the MB box 'is not as good as rivals', but if I were to buy one I wouldn't pay much attention, I am sure it will be fine, not all of us drive like we're in a Rally competition.

What I would say is that the manual C-Class is not a desirable car in the second hand market - the downside is that it will be more difficult to shift (excuse the pun) so not great if you intend to own the car for only 2 or 3 years, but on the plus side you should be able to bag a good one for a relatively low price, and if you intend on keeping it for the longer term it will prove to be a bargain.

Not sure your last paragraph applies, OP is talking about the various company cars he can select from.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Responding to some of the thoughts in this thread:

- If I were spending my own money I certainly wouldn't want to buy a manual 220d and put a load of miles on it; that would be a financial killer! Fortunately this would be a company car, so whilst I'd have to keep it for 4 years the mileage and depreciation would be somebody else's problem.

- As a company car I don't have an option to change the spec or add packs, even if I paid for them myself. That said, I could do a deal with the leasing company post-order but...

-...my company uses about 8 different leasing firms to source their fleet, and I won't know which one they'll use until I place an order, at which point I'm already committed (I've asked my fleet department a similar question before and got a 'computer says no' answer). I may be able to get around this with MB as my local dealer has a business manager that deals with fleet orders, so I may be able to blag a drive that way on the premise that the local dealer would at least get my servicing business, if not the car purchase.

For those who have or have used a manual W205, how is it inching along in traffic - the normal bugbear of manuals and a bit of a pain in my old BMW where you have a heavy clutch with a slight offset in RHD cars?

Last edited:
I know this thread is about the C Class but if you really like having an auto you should try the Audi.

My OH drives that model in pretty much base trim apart from upgraded ICE with sat nav and it is a really good car, night and day over the last one. The seats maybe cloth but are very comfortable and it's far more spritely than it's 'eco' credentials would lead you to believe.

I've got a 2015 manual 220.

Without a shadow of a doubt I'd want auto but as I inherited this company car, I had no choice.

The manual is fine with this engine. As the engine has loads of torque, it will pull strongly from 1200 RPM so your not always gear changing. On the motorway it's close to 2000RPM @ 90MPH so nice and relaxing.

My 2 issues are that first gear seems to be over very quickly and you have to grab second very early. Secondly, their isn't really a foot rest for the clutch foot although these is a kind of ledge (sit in one and you'll know what I mean).

The gearbox is more weighty than a VW and comparable to a BMW. The BMW does have a better 'feel' but the Merc is by no means an issue.

FWIW (and I do 35k a year), I'd have a manual BMW or Merc over an Auto Audi any day of the week. Between the BMW and the C I'd choose either that I could get auto in, but if both were manual, I'd go with the C Class, it really is a nice play to drive the miles in.

Good luck.

Ive just seen in your list you have an X18d BMW.

The last 318D I drove was a 150 63 plate and my C220 compared to that is:

MUCH faster all over the rev range.
The C is slightly more economical for me (circa 60MPG at an 80MPH cruise)
Is significantly higher geared.
Weight of gearbox and clutch is very similar.
318d did B roads better, C class does A road and Motorways better.

Last edited:
I've got a 2015 manual 220.

Ive just seen in your list you have an X18d BMW.

Note to self - update my details.

I've sold the 318d now, and I'm currently in a Skoda Octavia Scout (2.0 TDI, 184bhp, DSG, AWD), which is much faster and better equipped than the 318d but really doesn't like going round corners all that much.

Thanks for the comparison though; very helpful.

Okay, thanks again for all the advice, and whilst I've been mulling this over the company drops an absolute and very positive bombshell - a ULEV frenzy in advance of the changes in company car tax law.

All the previous cars are still there, but they've now added just about every hybrid, PHEV and low-emission petrol car on the market. Way too many to list, but my favoured choices are now:

BMW 225xe Luxury - not too expensive, 9% BIK, 4WD (so a bit more useful in bad weather), but ever so slightly dull.

BMW 330e Sport or MSport - Fast, 9% BIK again and great to drive, but a few spec compromises like no lumbar support, split fold rear seats or leather. MSport looks better and has a few extra toys like LED lights.

Mercedes C350e Sport - Fast, 9% again and all the toys, but appears to have a compromised boot and is a little pricey.

The Merc and MSport BMW are a class above my grade so I have to put some money in, but the lower tax pretty much offsets this so I'd be paying no more than I did with my previous choices.

Think I'm going to go for broke and get the C350e but again would welcome views from anyone who has driven/owned one.

My God, seen the 188 page thread on the c350e - lots of opinions there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom