Maybe not replacing my E63 with the W213 version then...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter DLM

MB Enthusiast
Car
19 reg CLS 350d, 67 reg AMG GT R Caterham Levante
My E63 goes back at the end of May and I've made some preliminary enquiries about the new one, and been slightly surprised at the result. :(

There aren't any deals yet basically, PCP works out at 2.5 times more expensive than my current one, and I'm not going to buy outright.

I may go back to a w213 diesel plodder for 12 months and see if any epic deals appear later, or investigate something else entirely as I want something new/different now.

I thought you were going to say you didn't like something about it.

I'm not keen on the back of the current crop as yet - it's still not grown on me at all.

I prefer the 212 at the moment.

Which I am definitely not ever never going to buy.com

I was at a MB dealer today looking for a replacement for my wife's car, it surprised me that with a few exceptions I couldn't instantly tell what car I was looking at from the front. Very Audi like.

Snap, we're stuck too.

W213 tooooooo expensive and there's nothing else about.

Its just too early to get deals - they will come but not before launch.

I thought you were going to say you didn't like something about it.

I'm not keen on the back of the current crop as yet - it's still not grown on me at all.

I prefer the 212 at the moment.

Which I am definitely not ever never going to buy.com

I don't like the back either. But I'd overlook it and just reverse it into the drive and parking spaces instead so I don't have to look at it :D

I may do a feasibility study on a used AMG GT.

Its just too early to get deals - they will come but not before launch.

It's possible, saloon deliveries are starting in June so not too long to wait.

I actually had to drive my Smart outside of MK the other day, and it actually wasn't that bad! Sat at 80mph with no fuss as all and was quiet and stable with it. Might have to rely on that for a month or so :eek:

I was at a MB dealer today looking for a replacement for my wife's car, it surprised me that with a few exceptions I couldn't instantly tell what car I was looking at from the front. Very Audi like.

Yup, I see loads of them every day and I still can't tell.

Snap, we're stuck too.

W213 tooooooo expensive and there's nothing else about.

May have to see what's on offer. There's always some brand giving away something.

We got circa 25% off (if you include the £5800 deposit contribution if finance is taken out) the S6 Avant we ordered via Orange Wheels. The discount was material on our decision to go with this particular choice, plus once we drove it we really liked it.

I preferred the S6 to the RS6, I found it far more comfortable and less shouty and just as fast real world, the Q car nature of the S over the RS really appealed to me. However I can imagine it might be a little too Q car if you're coming from an AMG.

We were intending to look at the new E43 AMG estate but I just didn't like the look of it.

I also looked at all sorts of other daft ideas and we got quite close to driving away in an 3 year old Ferrari instead. With hindsight I'm rather glad we didn't just yet. Maybe in the future though. The apparent lack of depreciation of the F car was quite appealing. The thought of £20K for a set of discs and pads was terrifying.

Last edited:
Yup, I see loads of them every day and I still can't tell.

I struggle with the backs actually - one goes past and I look and I have no idea which class it is unless I can see the badge.

Don't really like the "corporate synergy" or whatever they call "make 'em look the same and save on designer's fees!" these days.

The apparent lack of depreciation of the F car was quite appealing. The thought of £20K for a set of discs and pads was terrifying.

Bloody hell!

I remember reading about the replacement brakes for a 996 911 GT2 were around £10k > £15k back in the early noughties.

Ouch.

Time to open the door and start using your shoes to brake instead!

Bloody hell!

I remember reading about the replacement brakes for a 996 911 GT2 were around £10k > £15k back in the early noughties.

Ouch.

Time to open the door and start using your shoes to brake instead!

One disc £2,491.73

Ferrari FF, F12 Berlinetta Brake discs Front 274334 CC Front Brake Disc | eBay

The pads are about £1000 a corner from what I found if you do some hunting and get some discounted parts.

Meridien Modena quote me £20K - £25K to supply and fit. That's the point at which I decided it was a couple of steps beyond a daft idea and these really aren't daily drivers with consumables at that kind of cost.

What's the final value figure on the E63 Pete, could you not buy it and run it for another year or so until the new model is established?

What's the final value figure on the E63 Pete, could you not buy it and run it for another year or so until the new model is established?

lol it's way high, £44k ish. No sense in paying that when it's only worth £36k trade, or thereabouts. This car is one where PCP really is the smart way to go, it's cost me just under £17k to 'own' this car for two years from new, paying cash would have been almost twice as costly.

Hey Peter,

I just happened to pop in and noticed your thread.

I was sent this last week. Not sure if it's any use to you. (Maybe you need an estate?)

Ant.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 103
One disc £2,491.73

Ferrari FF, F12 Berlinetta Brake discs Front 274334 CC Front Brake Disc | eBay

The pads are about £1000 a corner from what I found if you do some hunting and get some discounted parts.

Meridien Modena quote me £20K - £25K to supply and fit. That's the point at which I decided it was a couple of steps beyond a daft idea and these really aren't daily drivers with consumables at that kind of cost.

You do realise that you quoted a carbon ceramic brake disc that has nearly indefinite lifespan... :fail:cool:

Hey Peter,

I just happened to pop in and noticed your thread.

I was sent this last week. Not sure if it's any use to you. (Maybe you need an estate?)

Ant.

Thank you, I'll add it to my list of possibles. :thumb:

You do realise that you quoted a carbon ceramic brake disc that has nearly indefinite lifespan... :fail:cool:

The lifespan is around 30k-50k miles if used on the road. If you track an FF then the discs and pads can need replacement in as few as 10k to 20K miles depending on how enthusiastic you are.

I'm not sure where you get the idea these parts have indefinite lifespan.

These aren't expensive optional brakes, these are standard fit and the only OEM brake available for the FF made by Brembo for Ferrari.

Last edited:
For someone who finds AMG cars overpowering [by his own admission I must add], I highly doubt that FF (or any other car in his hands) would see any kind of enthusiastic use, let alone track use. So my statements stands. Or have things changed and you're buying NOT for investment/show off but for track/heavy daily use? If not I'd expect your brakes to last 100k no less and certainly not regard them as 'consumable' that needs changing ever (other) service... Must have been another reason for not buying the FF.

For someone who finds AMG cars overpowering [by his own admission I must add], I highly doubt that FF (or any other car in his hands) would see any kind of enthusiastic use, let alone track use. So my statements stands. Or have things changed and you're buying NOT for investment/show off but for track/heavy daily use? If not I'd expect your brakes to last 100k no less and certainly not regard them as 'consumable' that needs changing ever (other) service... Must have been another reason for not buying the FF.

The reality was the costs of ownership were far far more than first appearance.

An almost complete lack of depreciation draws you in with the idea that you're "only" going to have to pay for running costs and not have to swallow a lot of capital loss.

The reality when you start digging deeper is these things cost a fortune to run and really are the preserve of wealthy people if you intend to do anything more than 4K or 5K miles a year.

If I bought one I'd want to use it, not wrap it up in cotton wool and use it a dozen times a year but I can't stomach the cost of doing so. I would have been buying one as a daily driver for say 10k-12k miles a year.

You only need to look at the used ones for sale and you'll find none with mileage over low 30K's most in the 5k to 20k mileage range. The value seems to jump of a cliff once they've done more than 30K miles as a lot of very expensive consumable items start to enter the window of replacement. This also goes some way towards explaining why you often find 2 or 3 year old F cars with 6 to 8 owners.

So the reality is the cost of ownership would outweigh the potential enjoyment I'd get from the car.

I'd still like one, but that needs to be when it can be a third car and wrapped up.

Last edited:
I have carbon ceramic brakes on my GT3.

It's now on 28k miles, with 3 track days under its belt.

I am still on original pads front and rear, with all about 25% worn. Discs are like new.

all depends on how you drive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom