MB Dealer: service desk protocol?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uumode

MB Enthusiast
Car
C300 AMG Line Premium Plus
If you take your car into a main dealer for repair work what's the standard protocol?

A. They look at the car, and decide what parts need doing and advise on the cost, and wait for your authorisation to go ahead?

or

B. They just go ahead and bill you for the work undertaken when you pick up the car. 'Hello Sir, the cost came to £xxx.xx thank you very much'

uumode said:
If you take your car into a main dealer for repair work what's the standard protocol?

A. They look at the car, and decide what parts need doing and advise on the cost, and wait for your authorisation to go ahead?

or

B. They just go ahead and bill you for the work undertaken when you pick up the car. 'Hello Sir, the cost came to £xxx.xx thank you very much'

Should always be "A" unless you have given prior authority for them to incur expense on your behalf!! But it depends, eg if you had faulty brakes and took it in for them"to sort out" that could be taken as authority to any necessary work and charge you accordingly. If you took it in for fault investigation and diagnosis etc - then you should get a call with a breakdown of what needs doing and cost. Depends how clearly you told them what you wanted :rolleyes:

I take it you've had a "B" experience?

When i used them, I told them to call me for anything major, i should have just said call me for anything additional, as little bits and pieces add up and i would have done those bits myself for a tenth of the cost..

Ja

Do what I do: write next to where you sign 'Not exceeding £XXX' where XXX is the estimate they provided to you. Show it to the service person.

If the bill is higher than the agreed estimate, and you did not authorise the additional work, then pay the bill but write on the service form 'Paid Under Protest' and sign. Take copies of the forms and write to the dealer principal for a refund for the difference.

On the two occasions in the past 6 years where I was 'overcharged' I got a refund with no further hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom