• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Mechanic says pressing one button in your car will 'double' the engine life

Thing is your engine doesn't crank over when using stop start , like it does first start of the day , it always stops in a position so the engine fires instantly, controlled by the crank and cam sensors.
I never knew that but it does explain why my wife's 500 fires up instantaneously. I like it. It feels virtually seamless. And sensible in NW London where you spend a large proportion of many journeys sitting stationary.

Has there ever been a single report of an Engine failing prematurely due to Stop/Start? (Engine, not starter motor)
It's rumoured to cause timing chain slack on the 0m651 engines apparently 🥴

Has there ever been a single report of an Engine failing prematurely due to Stop/Start? (Engine, not starter motor)
For years I’ve read comments from armchair experts on the Internet suggesting that stop-start will lead to catastrophic engine failure, but I’ve yet to meet someone online or in real life who has actually suffered an engine failure due to stop-start, or knows someone who has.

For years I’ve read comments from armchair experts on the Internet suggesting that stop-start will lead to catastrophic engine failure, but I’ve yet to meet someone online or in real life who has actually suffered an engine failure due to stop-start, or knows someone who has.
Neither have I heard of any early starter motor failures, despite them being widely predicted by the "I always turn my start-stop off" brigade.

Neither have I heard of any early starter motor failures, despite them being widely predicted by the "I always turn my start-stop off" brigade.
A bit like ToeKnee and his taxi, when I ran vans doing multidrop, I dread to think how many times I stopped and started them on the key ( not such thing as start/stop back then). I ran my vehicles to 300,000 miles and looking back on my records in just over 600,000 miles total on 2 vans, I only ever had one starter motor replaced (although I wore out 3 alternators).

Scott Kilmer is well known for his "unique views" and on motoring matters. 🙄

“Evidence-free science”

As recommended by the NHS and Fauci.

But it’s good to know that driving a car badly doesn’t shorten an engine’s life. It’s all about stopping and starting. Allegedly

IMG_3452.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom