Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I applied this yesterday to my 3 Series. After watching several Youtube videos I decided to buff in the base coat into wet surface before blasting the residue off with a Karcher. Then applied a second coat, rinsed and dried with a microfibre.

I think I ended up using too much product. I used about half the bottle for the 2 coats. That included all surfaces including the glass and wheels since that is what the instructions said. The glass especially, and the paintwork needed a lot of buffing off excess wax residue despite an extended blast with Power washer.

I would stick to the Meguiars instructions to the letter. It seems a bit too simple, but I definitely wish I'd done exactly as it said on the tin.

So far pleased with the results.

The blasting with the pressure washer is what 'sets' it. There are several other products (CarPro do a couple) on the market that work the same way.

Yep, I made the mistake of applying it to the whole car in one go to save time. By the time I had finished spreading the base coat it had started to dry. I realised as I was jet washing it off that I had probably messed up. If doing it over I would do one panel at a time as the instructions said. An extended blast with the Karcher left waxy residue all over, especially on the windows. If I had rinsed with the jet wash straight away this would not have been an issue!
A good buff with a microfibre left it with an amazing shine which I was very happy with and I received several compliments from neighbors. A week later the car is still shining despite dirt from the recent rain covering the car. Happy with the beading. I also covered the glass including the windscreen. Not as good as the water repellent I had put on by a detailer last year. The beads on the glass seemed to be smaller that on the paintwork, and I still needed to use the wipers. Previously over 30mph the beads used to fly off the windscreen. The side windows and rear screen are noticeably cleaner after a week of driving and rain showers.

I'll give it a maintenance wash and reapply this weekend and report back.

I wouldn't waste my money on a DA machine unless you really want to be polishing out swirls etc. I have a DA (purchased for polishing (non abrasive) and waxing a new car) , tried it once (been lying in the bag since) and found that it is easier to do the job by hand.

I've just received my TWH car shampoo and 3in1 quick detailer. I really like the TWH Ceramic Spray and it really goes on/off easily - best gloss I've seen on this car . :) :cool:

View attachment 95199
That's a great shine Rory. Am I right in thinking that the SL has a ceramic coat and that the hybrid wax enhances it further? It could also be good at getting a good shine on a silver car.

My BMW had a ceramic coat when it was new exactly a year ago. I decided to try the Hybrid Ceramic instead of paying £80 to a detailer to apply a top up ceramic coat.

I was very impressed with the shine. We will have to wait and see regarding the durability.

Attachments

• BMW 10.jpg
    BMW 10.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 20
  • BMW2.1.jpg
    BMW2.1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 20
Bloody hell that was a hard exercise. Followed the instruction from the booklet and since it’s the first attempt only had applied one coat before drying and then buffing. 💪🏻 It got drying so fast,and I was doing panel at a time, that I had to go twice with new cloths. 😓 but I’m very happy with the final result.
2E67AF3F-13C3-4C27-9957-69CB4A10C3A1.jpegF590C5B7-89FC-4336-AC88-9A3D9E7385DB.jpegD503C355-A943-4D5F-B661-DA42E1BDA7CC.jpeg
And now it’s going to start to rain 😤🤬

That's a great shine Rory. Am I right in thinking that the SL has a ceramic coat and that the hybrid wax enhances it further? It could also be good at getting a good shine on a silver car.

Thanks
No ceramic coat. I used the Carlack range from new but was never happy with the gloss and also wanted a change so switched to the Turtle Wax range. Very pleased with the results. From what I'm reading here, the TW is a lot easier to use than the Megs.

Need to get me some if that

I gave the BMW a thorough clean yesterday two weeks after my initial application of the Hybrid Ceramic Wax. This time I followed the instructions and a light mist one section at a time blasted with the Karcher. Happy Days. Much easier when you know how. As the spray hit the Hybrid wax you could see it turn opaque white and spread across the panel. The panels ran almost dry immediately with great beading and the glass did not have any residue or smears left behind like last time.

Quick wipe down with a waffle towel and light buff, excellent shine.

For the initial two coats I used half the bottle, which was probably way too much. The maintenance coat used much less. I anticipate getting five or six maintenance coats out of a full bottle. Won't be using every time I wash, maybe once every couple of months and see how it holds up.

Some great finishes in the pics, I have a black cls shooting brake which I detest cleaning. I used to enjoy detailing but that was pre kids lol when it was the thing to do at weekends. Combined with living in the country I rarely use my car just to not get it dirty because it almost needs washing (and waxing because it's black!) at every use. Was seriously thinking of getting it ceramic coated but can't bring myself to pay the amount it costs, I use it little enough as it is! Might give this stuff a go.

In this warm weather you definitely have to be careful with this wax as if it starts to dry it's a bit of a b*gger to deal with.

For a base coat go for a panel by panel approach, so wet the panel, spray on and dry. Do that round the entire car.

I washed mine on Monday evening when it had cooled down a bit but the car was still drying quick. After rinsing, I purposefully used the mist setting on the hose nozzle to ensure the panel was wet, then sprayed before rinsing. Seemed to work rather nicely but definitely not one you want to let dry.

Some great finishes in the pics, I have a black cls shooting brake which I detest cleaning. I used to enjoy detailing but that was pre kids lol when it was the thing to do at weekends. Combined with living in the country I rarely use my car just to not get it dirty because it almost needs washing (and waxing because it's black!) at every use. Was seriously thinking of getting it ceramic coated but can't bring myself to pay the amount it costs, I use it little enough as it is! Might give this stuff a go.

This could be an ideal option mate, it's so easy to apply and even on it's own works as a protective layer. I've applied two coats to my mums car which goes weeks or longer between washes yet it was still beading.

Another plus point I've noticed is the 'self cleaning' element. I've heard this phrase thrown around with products and despite having used various sealants and waxes I've never thought they provide a slick enough finish that rain water would remove much. Yet my other half's CLS has two coats of this, got bombed by birds across the bonnet and yet after a downpour it washed the cr*p off. I know there are other similar products out there currently which are as slick so I assume same applies to them but very pleased with it.

This could be an ideal option mate, it's so easy to apply and even on it's own works as a protective layer. I've applied two coats to my mums car which goes weeks or longer between washes yet it was still beading.

Another plus point I've noticed is the 'self cleaning' element. I've heard this phrase thrown around with products and despite having used various sealants and waxes I've never thought they provide a slick enough finish that rain water would remove much. Yet my other half's CLS has two coats of this, got bombed by birds across the bonnet and yet after a downpour it washed the cr*p off. I know there are other similar products out there currently which are as slick so I assume same applies to them but very pleased with it.

Thanks Alex, what are you using to dry it with? At the moment I've been using a Farecla quick detailer followed by their wax. In the past I've used Swissol on other cars which was awesome but very expensive.

Got me some of this on order at Halfords for tomorrow. Good price for it at the moment on Halfords/Amazon.
Think'll be doing the one panel at a time method too, not spray the whole car and rush round like a mad man :)

Got me some of this on order at Halfords for tomorrow. Good price for it at the moment on Halfords/Amazon.
Think'll be doing the one panel at a time method too, not spray the whole car and rush round like a mad man :)

When I tried the Carpro stuff, I got my wife on the pressure washer and I sprayed the magic solution....for 1 panel, then we swapped because she was not jetting properly, then 3rd panel, I did both myself :rolleyes:

Thanks Alex, what are you using to dry it with? At the moment I've been using a Farecla quick detailer followed by their wax. In the past I've used Swissol on other cars which was awesome but very expensive.

As in drying towels wise? I use the Elite Car Care giant microfibre towels they do in a pack of three. I've bought expensive and cheap towels and they're all very similar. As long as they have a thick pile to them and pick up water nicely, I'm good with that.

I don't use a drying aid such as a product to help when drying, although technically this Meguiars stuff works that way as would lubricate the paint slightly when drying. :)

I’ve just ordered some to collect from Halfords, will give it a try tomorrow hopefully!

Nice one, let us know what you think.

I actually cleaned my other half's car. It's been about 5-6 weeks since I last washed it but could see this stuff was doing it's thing as there was still some beading. I washed it and applied another base layer but did it in sections as yesterday was warm and the breeze causes the water to dry quickly. Did the bonnet, wings, bumper first, roof, each side then the boot and bumper. Worked well without the product drying or streaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom