Mercedes 500SEL Restoration - Carat Duchatelet/AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes the hinge broke and its quite intricate, I cannot get it fixed so far... no amount of glue works.
The hinge is basically just like a boot spring but miniature, so its a spring loaded ram on a curved arm which is bonded to the lid... its broken at the lid and tried everything to sort it, but without ripping apart the leather its not happening...

Great Job Jay one classy rare motor love the details on the dials.
Does the rear seat passenger also have control of the front passenger seat so that you can make it recline and use it like a bed? From memory in my 126 handbook this was listed as an option, with an extra switch at the rear somewhere.

Hi,

No cannot operate the front from the rear, I think that may have been an option but not seen it on a W126... its standard on LWB W140, W220 etc S Classes.

Very nice Jay. Classy when classy meant handmade. Wonder what the first owner paid for it!

Do you know what spec it has? I can spot Dash cubby, seat backs, Steering wheel, centre console, various bits of wood veneer and lashings of leather... everywhere.

Anything else?

Hi,

Those are all bits I added! The car was a late 1991 275BHP 500SEL with electric heated seats all around. The rest is all upgraded.

that's a hot w126

did you install new duchalet carat face dials into the cluster?
is it difficult to remove factory faceplates and putting new ones?
is there a huge difference in swap between w126 and w202?

can you do an instruction thread with pics of changing faceplates on cluster speedo?

Gorgeous, the stitched console and dash really set off the 126 interior much better dont they.

How are the reflections on the dash? I had wanted to get mine trimmed to match my cream interior but I decided the reflections would be silly, especially at night?

That's a lovely old bus Jay , well done !

The only thing that might improve it , is to have the piping on the seats done in dark blue ?

that's a hot w126

did you install new duchalet carat face dials into the cluster?
is it difficult to remove factory faceplates and putting new ones?
is there a huge difference in swap between w126 and w202?

can you do an instruction thread with pics of changing faceplates on cluster speedo?

Its fairly easy to swap the face plates, you pull the needles off with the assistance of two teaspoons, then the rest is easy.
In this case I had a complete cluster so just swapped it over.

Gorgeous, the stitched console and dash really set off the 126 interior much better dont they.

How are the reflections on the dash? I had wanted to get mine trimmed to match my cream interior but I decided the reflections would be silly, especially at night?

This is why half of the dash is alcantara suede, this stops the reflections.

That's a lovely old bus Jay , well done !

The only thing that might improve it , is to have the piping on the seats done in dark blue ?

Not a massive fan of piping in general, when I retrim I go for a double stitch instead of piping..

lovely. well done Jay. Scrumptious interior.

To be honest Jay, I was a bit disappointed with what looks to be a slightly dirty carpet inside the centre compartment :D

Looks fantastic - a credit to yourself and the bodyshop!

amazing work done,
the motor looks great..
where was the body shop?
I need to get my SEC stripped and get all the rust removed

Stunning, simply stunning!

Where you not tempted to go for a Carat steering wheel instead of a Carat-re trimmed standard.
I like the AMGs alloys, but was there any temptation to source some 17" Carat alloys?

I love this project. A superb additon to your wonderful collection.

Darren

I love what you do with these cars, bringing them back to life.

I just don't like black windows or quad exhausts - but these are all personal things.

Lovely - I miss my 420 SEL, was an old diplomatic edition, written off in the floods of 2007.

Stunning, simply stunning!

Where you not tempted to go for a Carat steering wheel instead of a Carat-re trimmed standard.
I like the AMGs alloys, but was there any temptation to source some 17" Carat alloys?

I love this project. A superb additon to your wonderful collection.

Darren

Nah this steering wheel is perfect...and none of the problems seeing the instruments... not that it seems to help mind ones speed.

Got the 17" Carats with centre covers, logo's etc but dont like the look.

Some spec/options on that SEL - only rear curtains lacking it seems
Fridge in boot?

Got the curtains, havent fitted them as dont like them to be honest.
No fridge, again takes up massive amounts of space in the boot...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom