• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Mercedes GLE recall for two items

MSG2004

Car
GLE, AMG Line
Hello
We've been away for a few weeks and noted on our return home on the weekdn a letter from MB

Car: Bought brand new 2016 250 GLE AMG Line

It's a recall for two items,

1: Possibility of water in the tyre well.

2: Some bolts o the electric power steering may not match the current spec and may need replacing

Has anyone else had these letters and which model do you have?

I am still a bit ticked off re emissions adjustments as the car is not what it was

About item number two, MB said it may take 3.5 to 4 hours to change, I'm pretty sure this will affect the alignment
and ATM the car dives as straight as when it was new as low miles and I try not to hit potholes. I'm worried
about the alignment not going back to what it is and the tyres wear almost 100% equally ATM

Does anyone here had this experience of this recall, please?

Cheers.

I don’t have experience but it’s your choice whether you follow up on the recall. If you believe that the risk of taking action is greater than the risk not taking action, then you could just sit on it.

Do bear in mind though that manufacturers don’t perform recalls lightly though and so there is a safety angle to consider before choosing to not take it in.

I don't think you need to worry about the wheel alignment being affected as there is no mention of
them touching the control arms or track rod ends,which would alter alignment.

Hello again. Thanks to all. Just rang the booking central office and I got the car booked and the lady on the phone said when she read up how long it will take that the alignment may be affected, I will call MB nearer the appointment date and see what they say.

Btw, I always take recalls seriously and will take the car in. I made a mistake about the emissions recall as that is the only one I ever recall where safety was not involved.

Saw this recently on a US site related to the water ingress as we previously ran a 550 SUV in the US. I assume it relates to the same problem in the UK. I think something like 323,000 cars are affected. I wasn't overly convinced by the solution, though.

Mercedes announced that the affected models are the GLE/ML produced between 2012 and 2020 (codename W166) and the GLE Coupe (codename C292) made between 2015 and 2020. The phenomenon is the following: water enters the back of the car and can accumulate in the spare wheel well.

In certain situations and depending on how much water has entered the spare wheel well, the accumulated water can come into contact with the fuel pump control unit. Because of this, the fuel supply to the engine could be interrupted, causing it to stop suddenly.

The cause of this problem needs to be clarified. The accumulation of water may be caused by specific non-compliant production tolerances that affect the tightness of the back part but also by a possible influence on how the luggage is loaded and unloaded. Each cause can lead to a different problem and water build-up in the spare wheel well.

Before the problem occurs, the driver may be alerted to water ingress by a spot of water behind the vehicle or the sound of water droplets falling into the spare wheel well. In some cases, the check engine LED in the dashboard may light up to warn of this problem.

To resolve the issue, Mercedes will fit a water drain plug in the spare wheel well on affected vehicles. In addition, the fuel pump control unit will be replaced if necessary. The recall can be found at NHTSA under number 22V-955.

Last edited:
Received the letter today,my car is a 2013 ML63,will be looking at getting it booked in for piece of mind.

I don’t have experience but it’s your choice whether you follow up on the recall. If you believe that the risk of taking action is greater than the risk not taking action, then you could just sit on it.

Do bear in mind though that manufacturers don’t perform recalls lightly though and so there is a safety angle to consider before choosing to not take it in.
Plus it can affect re-sale as the DVLA logs the recall and whether a specific car has had it completed. Always worth checking when you've had a car in for one...if the dealer doesn't close the job out properly the recall stays open on the car, even though it's complete. I've had it happen once but picked it up.

Thanks all, especially

DGAMG63S for the detailed info,​

Does anyone else have info re the bolts on the front, please?

Hi again. Your dealer should be able to tell you the extent of the recall. I’m not as familiar with the second item but this link may be relevant. Paste it into your browser. It gives you the internal recall code which may help. Sorry I don’t know more.

I’d seen online that there was a recall due when I checked the MOT status had been updated a week or two ago, but the letter has only arrived this week (opened today). Ours is being recalled for spare wheel well. Fortunately it@‘s being serviced next week so I’ll add jt to the list.

I’d seen online that there was a recall due when I checked the MOT status had been updated a week or two ago, but the letter has only arrived this week (opened today). Ours is being recalled for spare wheel well. Fortunately it@‘s being serviced next week so I’ll add jt to the list.
Correction, two letters in one envelope! It’s also being by recalled for the power steering bolts too.

No worries if your car is filling up with water, we've drilled a hole in it to let it out again.
Much easier than fixing the leak.

Thank you all again
If anyone gets to the dealer before I do as mine is now booking into the dealer in April, please let me
know if tracking was affected, IE needs to be checked/adjusted due to 'recall' work.

Hello
We've been away for a few weeks and noted on our return home on the weekdn a letter from MB

Car: Bought brand new 2016 250 GLE AMG Line

It's a recall for two items,

1: Possibility of water in the tyre well.

2: Some bolts o the electric power steering may not match the current spec and may need replacing

Has anyone else had these letters and which model do you have?

I am still a bit ticked off re emissions adjustments as the car is not what it was

About item number two, MB said it may take 3.5 to 4 hours to change, I'm pretty sure this will affect the alignment
and ATM the car dives as straight as when it was new as low miles and I try not to hit potholes. I'm worried
about the alignment not going back to what it is and the tyres wear almost 100% equally ATM

Does anyone here had this experience of this recall, please?

Cheers.
I just went into MB World for my appointment to fix the issue on my GLE 250. They didn't have the parts (plonkers) so need to get them ordered in and then they say they need 2 days to fix both issues. Quite a waste of time and effort so far.

I had to laugh at this as it seems spot on.
As Mercedes eliminate customer choice and move more and more towards "packages" instead of individual options, and in order to avoid any future issues, customers of new vehicles with the Premium Pack have one hole put in the boot floor. Those opting for the more lavishly appointed Premium Plus Pack have four holes in the boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom