• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

mercedes sl60 amg with appropriate no plate being sold in auction

To be fair it says it includes the original exhaust in the description - at least it has the correct wheels :)

Other than the exhaust it looks/sounds like a nice example, decent mileage too :thumb:

Shame there's no panny roof though.

If I can get the money together in time I might have a punt on this, worthy replacement for the AMG me thinks IF I can afford to insure it after my claim :(
That exhaust is hideous, the standard AMG would go straight on first job, like Will says real shame it hasn't got the Pano roof, can anyone tell if those headlights are Xenons or not?

If I can get the money together in time I might have a punt on this, worthy replacement for the AMG me thinks IF I can afford to insure it after my claim :(
That exhaust is hideous, the standard AMG would go straight on first job, like Will says real shame it hasn't got the Pano roof, can anyone tell if those headlights are Xenons or not?

Would you be going to see it and having a drive first?

I suppose I'm, always a bit wary about auctions.

Particularly with such a rare car. It maybe that s/he thinks more money can be achieved by auction :dk:

It's basic with no optional extras and I'm not sure what's been done to fit the rear speakers. Someone mentioned to me that it's a UK car which has been abroad at some point but I don't know. It's virtually impossible to check condition from a picture but I think the auctioneers have a grading system. If it's in good condition it should do well.

Horrible colour though

(joking Ian)

Just run the Vin and it does appear to be a gen SL60, but does seem light on options, no Xenons, Parking sensors, ADS, and as previously mentioned the pano roof, though I am by no means an expert of the available options on the 129.
Not sure they will allow a test drive though I can give it a good look over, take lots of detailed pics and if I decide its worth going to the auction I will have to bid making allowances on the fact I haven't driven it

I checked the VIN too to find out options, not that I'm after it but just out of interest. The soft-top needs checking too in terms of condition and operation.

Hi

As you might see from my other thread, I'm possibly in the market for an SL60.

I looked up the VIN for this vehicle and, though it's described as an SL60, the engine details then say it's 4973cc. and 320HP. Is this because the AMG conversion to 6.0l was done after manufacture?

On this auction car, the history seems to stop in 2006 and the current seller has only had since last September. Hmmm.

Peter

Hi

I looked up the VIN for this vehicle
and, though it's described as an SL60, the engine details then say it's 4973cc. and 320HP. Is this because the AMG conversion to 6.0l was done after manufacture?

On this auction car, the history seems to stop in 2006 and the current seller has only had since last September. Hmmm.

Peter

Which vehicle.....I can only see the auction car:dk:

Hi

I looked up the VIN for this vehicle and, though it's described as an SL60, the engine details then say it's 4973cc. and 320HP. Is this because the AMG conversion to 6.0l was done after manufacture?

Peter

He's probably referring to that then, no? :dk:

Ah....ok then, if it's the auction car I'm a bit confused by what you post.

I had thought that AMG Mercedes were completely integrated by 1998 and that they no longer "sent them over" to Affalterbach. My V5 is in my car and it's very stormy so I'm not going to look, but iirc mine is listed as six litre.

Certainly the "pre-integration" models were listed as 500's, but as I said, they were the early cars.

Yes, I meant the auction car at swva.co.uk

The VIN report I got from report.vin-info.pl states:

Model: SL60
Year: 1998
Production month: 6
Vehicle release/build date 16/06/1998
Assembly plant: Germany
Engine code: 119982
Displacement SI: 4973 CM3
Displacement CID: 303 CID
Displacement nominal: 5.0L
Horsepower: 320HP
Body: 7441 Brilliant silver
Gearbox: 722620; automatic

Should I try another VIN report site or is this normal for an SL60?

Yes, I meant the auction car at swva.co.uk

The VIN report I got from report.vin-info.pl states:

Production month: 6
Vehicle release/build date 16/06/1998
Assembly plant: Germany
Displacement nominal: 5.0L
Horsepower: 320HP
Body: 7441 Brilliant silver
Gearbox: 722620; automatic

Should I try another VIN report site or is this normal for an SL60?

I don't know what that is, it's not a VIN reading as I know it.

The VIN number should start R129XXXXXXXX. I think Andy27168 has it, perhaps he'll post his finding.

VIN in the ad :WDB1290672F170591

Not sure how to verify engine size on EPC but it is indeed a 957 code AMG tech package

Here's a copy of my report, using the number supplied on the swva.co.uk website. Some other VIN check sites say it's an invalid VIN number:

VIN-Info Vehicle History Report
WDB1290672F170591
MERCEDES SL60
2014-10-19 10:58:23
View Report Guide
View Terms and Conditions

VIN Decoder

Make: MERCEDES
Version: R129
Series: SL
Body style: CONVERTIBLE
Number of doors: 2
Assembly plant: (GERMANY)
Engine configuration: V ENGINE
Engine type: V8
Engine head: DOHC
Valves: 32
Cylinders: 8
Displacement nominal: 5.0 L
Horsepower: 320 HP
Kilowatts: 235 KW
Charger_(turbo/super/diesel): N
Fuel type: PETROL
Body: W129= 2 DOOR COUPE
Color: 744|BRILLANT SILVER-MET.
Engine: 119.982| 4 973 CC PETROL: 320HP/235KW
Fuel: BENZYNA
Capacity: 4973
Gearbox: 722620; AUTOMATIC
Production_month: 6
Production_year: 1998
Country of origin: GERMANY
Steering: RIGHT HAND

Vehicle Equipment

241 FRONT SEAT LH ELECTRIC ADJUSTABLE WITH MEMORY
242 FRONT SEAT RH ELECTRIC ADJUSTABLE WITH MEMORY
249 AUTOMATICALLY DIPPING INSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR
331 CASSETTE COMPARTMENT
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
501 OUTSIDE REARVIEW MIRROR LEFT AND RIGHT WITH PROGR.
533 SPEAKERS FRONT AND REAR - WITHOUT RADIO
565 REAR SEATS USED ON SL MODELS
600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
613 LAMP UNIT - ASSYMETRICAL, LH TRAFFIC
668 PACKAGING FOR SHIPPING VEHICLES WITH TIE-DOWN HOOK
774 SHELL MODIFICATION FOR AMG-WHEELS
776 WHEEL COVERING FOR AMG 17-WHEELS
793 AMG-WHEE.8,5X18 SQUE.-IN DEPTH 25 245/40 SEV.PARTS
833 INVALID/GREAT BRITAIN,ADDITIONAL PARTS

Damage History

NO DATA

Mileage History

NO DATA

Internet History

1998-06-16
Description Vehicle release/build date.

Services History

NO DATA

Check History

NO DATA

Databases of stolen vehicles

Production Defects

NO DATA

Vehicle Manufacturer

Entry Date Name Address Country
2008-02-14 Daimler AG Mercedesstrasse 137, D-70546 Stuttgart Germany
2000-10-09 DaimlerChrysler AG Stuttgart-Untertuerkhe Im Germany

Vehicle Photos

NO PHOTOS

Thanks Peter, does that mean it's not a real SL60, if the engine size is described as 'only' 5 litre - I thought they'd all been made at the MB factory and sent out as 6.0l, rather than being converted to 6.0l after manufacture?

Anyone else know?

Thanks Peter, does that mean it's not a real SL60, if the engine size is described as 'only' 5 litre - I thought they'd all been made at the MB factory and sent out as 6.0l, rather than being converted to 6.0l after manufacture?

Anyone else know?

As bing has posted: "...but it is indeed a 957 code AMG tech package.."

957 is the crucial code. Rest easy, it's kosher:thumb:

As bing has posted: "...but it is indeed a 957 code AMG tech package.."

957 is the crucial code. Rest easy, it's kosher:thumb:

Thank you. I spoke to the auction people today who didn't have much further information than is on their website. But they did confirm the only driving of it that will be done is when is does its 'drive through' to be auctioned. Anyone thinking of bidding will need an expert ear! I'm not sure mine is quite up to that and the unknowns that might be lurking beneath the hard top.

Oh, and the mileage went backwards between 2009 and 2013 according to DVLA records, so De Lorean style time travelling is another ability it appears to have. Either that or DVLA is fallible, which has been known:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom