• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

mercedes sl60 amg with appropriate no plate being sold in auction

Yep, everything worked, no warning lights, very clean, little worn interior etc.

Don't know who has alleged clocking. I did an HPI check and all it shows is mots in 2006, 2013 and 2014 and a mileage discrepancy between the DVLA record in 2009 (59k miles) and at its Oct 2013 mot (54,000 miles). Seller adamant it's a DVLA error but he only bought it in 2013 after 5 years in storage, so who knows?

As I said a cracking car and the mileage issue didn't worry me (but might others), just too much for my risk-averse, auction-bidding self! The only thing it 'needs' (and opinions vary on the desirability of this) is the pano roof.

Hope the new owner is on this list and posts photos of it once it's been valeted and with the soft top down.

MB service history up to 2006 then nothing.

Evidence of some slight (or slight on the surface anyway) rust on NSR arch, driver's door and body below boot lid.

Some interior work needed as driver's seat a bit tatty and slight tear to trim below driver's seat edge.

Oh, and the mileage went backwards between 2009 and 2013 according to DVLA records, so De Lorean style time travelling is another ability it appears to have. Either that or DVLA is fallible, which has been known:eek:

Yep, everything worked, no warning lights, very clean, little worn interior etc.

Don't know who has alleged clocking. I did an HPI check and all it shows is mots in 2006, 2013 and 2014 and a mileage discrepancy between the DVLA record in 2009 (59k miles) and at its Oct 2013 mot (54,000 miles). Seller adamant it's a DVLA error but he only bought it in 2013 after 5 years in storage, so who knows?

As I said a cracking car and the mileage issue didn't worry me (but might others), just too much for my risk-averse, auction-bidding self! The only thing it 'needs' (and opinions vary on the desirability of this) is the pano roof.

Hope the new owner is on this list and posts photos of it once it's been valeted and with the soft top down.

It was Peter who mentioned the milage and the rust. I agree it could be a good car, but an expensive one.

Aside from the Panny roof (say £1.3K) it'll need all fluids changed, rust work done, brakes will probably need looking at. Coilpacks etc etc etc. ECU's can be pricey. Was the roof ok, did they show it working? That can be pricey.

That said, it could be a goodie, and probably will be, but at a price!

Noted. Roof not shown working but assured by owner to be in perfect working. order. Plastic windows not cracked or ripped but sounded as if one needed to budget for their replacement.

Anyway, anything else is yet more speculation! Let's see who the new owner is

Wow. I wish I hadn't just seen that. Way over priced in my opinion or maybe they really have gone up that much in the last two years. From what people have said about this one, that would mean what was mine could have been worth £35,000 plus which is just bonkers.

I do not feel I sold mine for less that it's worth but I suppose if there are people out there willing to pay that sort of money for one like that then I guess it does make we wonder a little.

Sometimes needs must, but I would of kept the sl60 amg for as long as you could. 5 years from now you might be forever priced out of getting one again and that would be a shame, main reason I keep mine is the fun I get from it and the fact it will never be cheaper than what I bought it for.

We could have kept it but the time was right. Our situation was such when we bought it that we thought we would move to a house with a garage fairly soon but that didn't happen. My wife isn't working and it looks like she won't be able to for at least a year. Although it's a lovely car so I did love owning it in many ways, it was more due to the looks and just the fact of owning something rare and special than driving pleasure. Yes it was great with the roof down and for cruising but I wasn't that comfortable in it due to my height which really did bug me. I was forever trying to trick the seat to get that bit further back without the back moving forward. I also realised washing it all the time and hardly driving it was becoming a real pain. My wife had been saying to me for a long time that I don't really like the car. I would argue that I love it but admitted there were quite a few compromises.

It's good that it's gone to an enthusiast and collector though as it is a one off and I know he has plans to deal with the (very few) minor niggles and keep it for years.

There does seem to be a surge of interest in these at the moment but who knows what will happen with prices in the short term and it's not like I've splashed out the money on another car. I wouldn't have done that due to depreciation. It's been invested so in a few years time I may either find myself with a car fund sufficient to buy a ferrrari or a fiat :-)

I was at the auction yesterday, the car sold for £25,500 plus 6% commission and VAT.

I wasn't interested in buying the car but I did have a look at it. It wasn't in mint/excellent condition but it was good overall. The exhaust was absolutely hideous. The interior had some signs of wear. The paintwork was tidy enough and the engine bay was tidy also. The battery was dead so I couldn't test the electrics.

In my opinion the car was worth £20k at most, but that's only my opinion. I have seen others for sale also which have been at the same price, or even less and have been in better condition. Saying that though I do think the reserve was unrealistic at £13,500 - £15,000 but that also depends on what the buyer wants for the car. Everything sold very well and in most cases exceeded their reserves but auctions are the most expensive places nowadays to buy.

I was at the auction yesterday, the car sold for £25,500 plus 6% commission and VAT.

So in fact £27,336.00 plus a battery. Not cheap for an unknown quantity :eek:

Last edited:

My mistake, stopped payng attention once it went beyond £20k - I previously said £24.5k, sorry. Heard s rumour from one of the staff that its former keeper (whose company owned it and who took it to Spain when he got posted there) was one of the bidders - don't know if he was the buyer

I loved the silver/red 190SL but a bit too dear for me! SG1 is right, everything sold very well indeed. Still, had a delicious mustard crusted lamb steak with champ in a pub on the way back to Bristol

No problem! They struggled to get anywhere near £15k at first but that's always the way with auctions I guess. The 190SL was nice but there wasn't any paperwork with it at all really.

In my opinion everything went far too expensive.

Wow....I can see these being worth more with time to come and when they become fewer in numbers but £35k now seems top top top bordering silly money.

Jay....maybe all the work and expense was worth it on mine after all! ;)

No Panny roof on this one. I notice that it now as a FMBSH. That's good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom