Microphone function

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ackee911

Car
Mercedes-Benz S500L
Hello all,

In my S class, on the steering wheel there is a button with a microphone on it. I'm gueessing this is the voice control? However, whenever I press it it says Function not available.

Anyone know what may be causing this?

The function (Linguatronic) is only available if the COMAND is switched on.

What year is it?

Do you now for certain you have Linguatronic option?

Linguatronic is an option. On my car it comes with a lever at the right hand side, on others there seems to be a button on the steering wheel.

This is my setup:
stalks2.jpg

Out of interest, where is the button? On mine, all 8 buttons on the steering wheel are already taken up with other functions.

OK. Its probably not linguatronic, maybe just the control for the phone? The thing is, my phone is not working, so maybe that is why the function is unavailable.

The button I'm talking about is on the left side of the wheel, right at the bottom, under the menu button.

Below is the options my car came with. So is that right? The button controls the phone? On the right side of the steering wheel, I have the phone up and phone down buttons........

Options
205owner's manual and maintenance booklet 2) (с 01.11.1971)
reference plate, coolant 2)
220parking aid (с 01.10.1993)
223rear seat backrest and headrests, electrically adjustable (с 01.07.1991)
247electric seat adjustment (front passenger seat) - additionally adjustable from the rear. (с 01.10.1989)
249automatically dipping inside rear view mirror (с 01.06.1990)
275front seat positioned lower
memory package (driver's seat, steering column, mirror) (с 01.10.1993)
284trunk set, 5-piece
wood selector lever
shift lever in wood/leather combination (с 01.01.1990)
289wooden/leather steering wheel (dia. 390 mm)
wood-/leather steering wheel (ш 390mm) and leather gearshift (с 01.02.1993)
multiple contour backrest for right rear single seat
317mobile phone, fully integrated in centre console (с 31.10.1996)
352operation and monitoring system comand (navigation + radio/cassette) (с 01.09.1996)
414electric tilting/sliding roof in glass version (с 01.10.1988)
461instrument with mileage reading and english lettering (с 01.04.1990)
540roller blind, electric, for rear window (с 01.05.1985)
551anti-theft/anti-break-in warning system with anti-towing system (с 01.04.1998)
596heat-insulating and infrared reflecting safety glass, all-around (с 01.05.1996)
600headlamp wiper/washer (с 01.08.1971)
617headlamps and fog lamps or additional high beam light, amber, and additional halogen fog lamp (from april 1st, 1970); additional turn signal lamps for italy, and rear turn signal lamps, orange
xenon headlight asymmetric, left driving traffic (с 01.03.1994)
6465-hole light alloy wheels (с 01.06.1995)
light alloy wheels 7-holes 7 x 16
673high-capacity battery (с 01.01.1964)
731wood trim, burred walnut root (с 01.08.1980)
800Change of year of model, last figure shows new model year
819CD changer - alpine - in trunk (с 31.07.1992)
872electric seat heater for rear seat bench, left and right (с 01.10.1972)
873seat heater for left and right front seats (с 01.02.1984)
882passenger compartment protection/towing-off protection (with anti-theft warning system only) (с 01.07.1993)
883closed aid for doors and trunk lid (с 01.07.1989)
984elimination of ownership certificate but with coc papers (с 01.06.1993)
230AUnknown code

Accoding to that list, you don't have linguatronic (which is code 390).

The telephone buttons are on the right hand side of the steering wheel, with phone pick up and hang up symbols.

The two buttons on the left hand side should operate the paging function to browse through menus (forward and backward direction is what the two buttons are for).

Some S classes have the linguatronic button on the steering wheel instead of the more common lever as shown above.

Can U post a photo ?

Richard

Some S classes have the linguatronic button on the steering wheel instead of the more common lever as shown above.

Can U post a photo ?

Richard

It may just be prewired. Prewires are very common on S-Class and many of them have "plug-in" upgrades.

Sorry for the delay, but my camera was full etc etc.

Here are the pics as requested:

Attachments

• SANY0134.jpg
    SANY0134.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 89
  • SANY0137.jpg
    SANY0137.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 89
My S had the linguatronic button on the steering wheel (but not linguatronic option) and it showed exactly the same as in your pictures above when the button was pressed.

So I think that it seems likely that it is the same on yours and it IS a Linguatronic button but the car doesn't have the option. Unless you are saying that you did have voice control and now you don't of course.

I guess that is some sort of cost savings when the voice control stalk is not needed any more. I guess you can only scroll menus one way when the other scroll button has been replaced with that voice control function?

Later models have that button too but it is an additional button instead of using those menu buttons.

Mine is a later model than this one, and it has the stalk (and I have to say I'm happy about that).

I often browse menus in both directions, so with one of the menu browse buttons gone, that would be less convenient.

Diesel Benz, do you know where they put that separate button on other models? The eight ones on my steering wheel are all in use. :confused:

My S had the linguatronic button on the steering wheel (but not linguatronic option) and it showed exactly the same as in your pictures above when the button was pressed.

So I think that it seems likely that it is the same on yours and it IS a Linguatronic button but the car doesn't have the option. Unless you are saying that you did have voice control and now you don't of course.

It has not worked since I bought the car, never bothered me, but what is the point of having it? Like Ken pointed out the double menu button would've been much more helpful for me.

It has not worked since I bought the car

Not that surprising, the car hasn't got the linguatronic function (code 390) ;).

never bothered me, but what is the point of having it? Like Ken pointed out the double menu button would've been much more helpful for me.

Yes, in an s-class there should not be blank or inoperable buttons. At all. And not having linguatronic, but still having the button and then losing another useful function as a result seems rather sloppy by Mercedes.

Alternatively, maybe a previous owner changed the steering wheel? :confused: It's rather worn that steering wheel of yours, so that theory is maybe not too convincing... :crazy:

.......equipment which prompts owners to have retrofits done.

:D:D:D

Mind you Linguatronic is a very worthwhile option. Really surprised more don't have it. :rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom