Mirror finish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thank you! You would have been less impressed if I'd posted the photos of the car after a 300 mile trip to Somerset and it's muddy country lanes last week. It was filthy, completely covered in mud!

Iv have come to accept that my car will get dirty from time to time. It's my dd plus having two kids under 5 makes it hard to keep it spotless.

really nice finish R2D2
be careful its so shiny it might get to the stage where its invisible !

Hi Rash

Looking good my man!

If you get bored with silver i've got a red one that could do with some TLC? :D

Im quite concerned a detailer would be using supaguard. I appriciate the product lasts longer the a month if applied correctly to paintwork free of contaminants. But its such a poorly made product. Hybrid coatings and crystal lacquers are the 'no bull'' long term protections. Here's a soft top after i applied a hydrophobic coating that will last 2 years before it even starts breaking down product.

857072_295197060608759_730641941_o.jpg

If its long term protections, these are my personal choices which all go on each car:

857935_295196273942171_87074143_o.jpg

I even now have EXO V2 to play with week:))

857116_296104417184690_196732877_o.jpg

Honestly if you want something thats going to bead and sheet for years to come, opt for the right products that work everytime.

Last edited:
Jeez, after seeing those photos, I need to start wearing sunglasses... Never have seen anything like that. Just magic!

Im quite concerned a detailer would be using supaguard. I appriciate the product lasts longer the a month if applied correctly to paintwork free of contaminants. But its such a poorly made product. Hybrid coatings and crystal lacquers are the 'no bull'' long term protections. Here's a soft top after i applied a hydrophobic coating that will last 2 years before it even starts breaking down product.

857072_295197060608759_730641941_o.jpg

That soft top looks like you have popped along to Camping & General and picked up a bottle of Nikwax, an excellent product for proofing jackets and tents, what a good idea. :D

Lol, I look forward to seeing your results on a cab soft top:)

Received my copy yesterday. Great article Greg, the car looks great.

Thanks Peter! I'm well chuffed with 5 pages and 18 photos! I've asked if I can have some of the photos for use on here.

Thanks Peter! I'm well chuffed with 5 pages and 18 photos! I've asked if I can have some of the photos for use on here.

Yes they emailed some photo's which they didn't use on the shoot. It took a while though.

No denying it looks fab, and the way i get a mirror finish is by using a clay bar refining kit after a light compounding with Farecla G3 and a good polish such as Auto-Glym resin polish. The paintwork becomes so smooth it is like glass and now I'm wondering what it would be like with a coating of Supagard whatever that is?

I have had many people come up to me and ask how I get such a mirror shine and gloss finish. Even a Mercedes garage asked me the same question, my reply was 3 days of continuous attention and hard work! I will now search and see what this Supagard is?

PS. I have no pictures to upload yet.

Regards,
Steve...

Lol, I look forward to seeing your results on a cab soft top:)

I get the same results when I use the stuff on my Ventile jacket, I know its XXL but not sure it would stretch over a cab roof......anyway the sleeves would flap around in the breeze :D:D:D

No denying it looks fab, and the way i get a mirror finish is by using a clay bar refining kit after a light compounding with Farecla G3 and a good polish such as Auto-Glym resin polish. The paintwork becomes so smooth it is like glass and now I'm wondering what it would be like with a coating of Supagard whatever that is?

I have had many people come up to me and ask how I get such a mirror shine and gloss finish. Even a Mercedes garage asked me the same question, my reply was 3 days of continuous attention and hard work! I will now search and see what this Supagard is?

PS. I have no pictures to upload yet.

Regards,
Steve...

Supaguard is just money making by the dealerships. They know that not everyone will have the time, energy or passion to maintain their paintwork so the idea is to put the protective coat on... and it will with stand normal washes/weathering for up to 2 years. However... there are a couple of draw backs. The protective coat needs to be waxed regularly to maintain it and prolong its endurance. Otherwise, it will barely last a year with normal washing and acid rain conditions! The same goes for Diamond Brite which is Supaguard's competitor.

You can get way better water beading qualities and protection using a selection of other products. If you are going to be waxing it every other month then you can always add your own protection by using products like:

- Poor Boys Black Hole Glaze (excellent for dark colours and metallics)
- A decent Meguiars sealant

If we follow the proper steps of glaze, wax and then seal - there is no need to waste silly money on supaguard or the likes. One final gripe with supaguard and similar... when it starts to come off it can come off in bits or on different panels... the surface feels rough to the touch and needs extra work just to get the abrasive feel to go... something like Dodo Juice lime prime light can save the day.

Like the idea of G3 though.. will give that a try. Last used it a few years ago when it was in yellow bottles.

Supaguard is just money making by the dealerships.

My dealership has offered me an MB-only treatment called StarGard, which also includes protection for the car's upholstery. Any idea how this compares to SupaGard? (The names look suspiciously similar - is it just a re-branding exercise by MB?)

I understand it is exactly the same stuff. It's looking good on mine still......

Unfortunately none of these products actually last anywhere near the time they say they will. The dealership have no understanding of the product but do understand sales and what money they can make. These products are so behind the times but why change a product that so many people will buy. Superguard also makes no physical difference to the paintwork what so ever and is how the car is prepped and how its polished is what is achieving this. Black hole glaze is a monster filler glaze so makes huge quick good loocking finishes, but does not give a true finish. Crystal lacquers and hydrophobic coatings are the only protections that actually last 40-50,000 miles and will not bond to paint that has polish residue upon it. So cars have to be paint corrected to perfection and given a thorough ipa wipedown to ensure a true, silicone free finish. Then crystal lacquers will bond clear and protect like paint within a concrete lacquer. I already have EXO v2 and tried it this afternoon for the first time on my best friends C2S. Everyone knows that C1 is at the top of its game and EXO is imho the greatest beading product made. But now the guys have made a liquid 'more concentrated'version of EXO that is just a game changer.

So this afternoon I paint corrected the c2s wing with the new rupes bigfoot (As its a great machine for sticky paint)

887427_300624616732670_994628830_o.jpg

This was given a thorough ipa wipedown to ensure a true finish as well as setting the paint up for EXO v2. The panel was warmed through and EXO v2 was applied with the residue removed instantely. I then sppeded up the reaction with a heat gun because my friends garage was cold this afternoon and these panels need to be over 20'c. As you can see it works very well and is physically like a teflon coating finish. I will get a video of this up shortely but this on its own, nothing else, will last around about 18 months before it breaks down. But with absolutely unrivalled beading elements.

886704_300625843399214_576881822_o.jpg

Theres lots of filler glazes that can make for great mirror finishes. But for instant this is a car I have just finished after an ipa wipedown. So there is absolutely no product on the paint what so ever, just a true finish.

135228_299736880154777_1541401454_o.jpg

885625_299736743488124_1202478667_o.jpg

886436_299737206821411_1456109757_o.jpg

So I hope guys who are buying new cars dont fall in the trap of having this fairytale dealership coatings because its simple, they dont work in the real world.

Kind Regards

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom