ML 270 running costs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hollyhocks

Hi any comments please, looking at the ML270 and wondering how frugal they can be, can anybody comment, can they be chipped for better economy? also would a 2002-2004 suffer the same way our 2002 coupe has with small rust areas on the wheel arches due to, im told, poor paint preparation, primer?
Thanks for all your help
Martin

They are not too bad on fuel and they do rust. 24MPG is possible.

Fit a tuning box and 30 is more like it.

I have a 2002 ML 270 CDI.

I get Just over 30 to the gallon - mixed driving (motorway and town). On the motorway it has hit 38mpg

Yes, they rust - I believe that 2004 onwards are glavanised steel - so, don't rust from 2004 onwards.

Mine has rusted on the rear arches, bonnet and boot - under the catch and in a few paint chips - however, I am having the lot sorted out for £300

Servicing - generally: £250 for a major serive and £120 for a minor service from a Merc independant. Gearbox ATF change £100 approx - New thermostat £60 - new MAF £60.

They are about the same price for most parts as a Ford Mondeo.

Brake disks and Pads are usually changed every year - it is a heavy vehicle and mine is an auto, so, we go through brakes very quickly - £70 for front disks.

Tyres - 255 x 60 x 17 - About £120 each - Pretty good on tyres for a big 4 x 4 - does not wear them too quickly.

Tax - £265 (I think)

Insurance for my wife and myself: £320 per year

Watch for: Rust, engine temp (should be above 80 deg on the disply, if not you will use loads of fuel and the thermostat needs replacing), MAF sensors tend to go (fuel usage will go up), rear Springs tend to break, also shows a hard life - check them as it is £275 for replacement spring and shock unit. Urm, some people have reported electrical issues, I have only had 1 relay go, ABS relay - £12 to replace

In terms of Frugal - Buy a Honda CRV 2.2 Diesel, but it will be more expensive to buy than an ML!

In terms of big useful cheap'ish vehicle - Buy an ML

I also have had a remap from 163 BHP to 210 BHP - saves allot of gearchanges and has made the car much better to drive - no difference in fuel usage, in fact it may be slightly better now.

Have just changed the thermostat and all the plastic fuel lines as the seal had gone on one and MPG improved by 6-7.

Mine is a 04 plate May and have just noticed the start of rust on the bonnet below the front grill,two small patches.

Only had her for a week but really pleased and having ATF changed this Friday .

Regards

Father inlaw has a ML270Cdi and he gets 30mpg easy and more like 35mpg.

His is standard (auto) and serviced...now and again :)

I would get more than 24mpg on a run in my ML350 petrol so that doesn't sound right?

That's what I am now getting with the new bits on :) before I had used half a tank in 100 miles and starting to panic :)

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom