• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

ML270CDI - Separate Transmission Cooler?

AussieML270

Car
ML270CDI - 02 Model
Hi All,
Newbie question - have searched forums before posting this but need clarification - just bought an 02 ML270CDI auto - 85k kms on it - goes great. Had the transmission serviced the other day and the mechanic told me he didnt like the look of the ATF - looked a bit dark. He was convinced that this was happening because he reckoned the transmission cooler on these is part of the radiator, and as I had a Valeo radiator it was quite likely leaking coolant into the ATF. Now I know this is a problem on a lot of the saloons and coupes, but my understanding is that the M-Class has a separate transmission oil cooler. There definitely is a stand alone cooler in front of the rad - has part number A1635000202 - but matey reckons that is for the power steering? Havent had a chance to trace all the pipework yet but I know someone out there will have the definitive answer!

The part is just listed as Radiator Low Temperature. Doesn't look big enough for the ATF to me.

I can assure you that the series 163 ML IS fitted with a stand-alone oil cooler for the transmission and is the one you refer to in your post.

The atf will become dark coloured after a few thousand Km's due to friction material from the clutches discolouring the fluid, its 'normal'.

Last edited:
Ok. Two replies for the negative - One for the affrimative! I'll do a bit of investigating under the car and see what I can find out. Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom