Model specific RVM integrated OBD dashcams from Kammu

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Bobby Dazzler, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Catchy title, eh?

I can't believe I've not come across these before, but this website sells dashcams which integrate into the rear view mirror housing using a dedicated plastic moulding to replace the original trim.

Interestingly it takes power from the OBD port, not just vehicle data. I've not seen this before, so is this innovation or is there a reason that other dashcam manufacturers favour the cigar/accessory socket or hardwire.

Very subtle, and they seem fully featured. Surprising that a Google search yields little about them, a few mixed reviews but little more. Has anyone got any first hand experience?

2. Headhurts

Headhurts Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes E350 Estate Night Edition
    Not heard of them but saved the link.

There's quite a bit going on near the mirrors on my E Class so I would be concerned about interference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    Interesting.

I did a "huge" amount of research into which dashcam to get for us. The list and choices are endless. I finally opted for a Nexbase Dual (front & Rear view) HD with night vision.

It does what it says on the tin, requires absolutely no fiddling or button pushing. Just wire it in (use a piggy back fuse adapter) and off you go.

Halfords (awaits the usual howls of derision from those who have not used them for this) installed it in less than 30 minutes. It has a motion detector and will record carpark bumps etc. The quality is first class (night and day). All for less then £180 fitted.

2 people like this.
  4. garycat

garycat Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2014 C Class 220CDI Coupe
    I got a total of 3 from aliexpress.com for my 2014 C204. The first that arrived looked nothing like the picture from the product page and I had a hell of a time convincing the seller that it was wrong.

So, I returned it and they sent me another one. It was listed as fitting a W212 but looked like the cover on my mirror mount.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hid...-Recorder-Dash-Cam-Black-Box/32781847327.html

Anyway, it didn't fit so I ordered another from a different supplier that looked even more like my cover

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/192...2015-FinalCam-Control-by-APP/32699506042.html

Again, this didn't seem to fit despite looking like the clips and brackets were correct.

So, in the end I bought a DDPai Mini 2.

If anyone wants to try the 2 spare dashcams I have, let me know.

BTW - powering from the OBDII port is used just because it is convenient, but it provides an always-on 12v supply so could drain the battery if left on for a long time.

2 people like this.
  5. PobodY

PobodY Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK350 Sport, Nissan GTiR
    I can't work it out; does it fit over the rain sensor? - They've got a generic model which specifically says it can't be used with the rain sensor.

6. garycat

Car:
    Yes it replaces the existing cover.

7. OP
    OP
    Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
  8. paul73mt

paul73mt Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2010 C350 CDI Sport sold , 2015 E250 CDI AMG Line
    I bought the BlackView 650 2 camera system only thing i added to it was a polarised filter for the front

1 person likes this.
  9. roheel

roheel Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Where did you get the filter from. After one but hard to find one that's been tried and tested

10. kid-jensen

kid-jensen Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML 320 W164
    I wouldn't think it's possible to use the ODBII port on the ML/GL/R Class, because the socket is just above the pedals. Any plug you insert will be ripped-out of the socket when you hit the brakes (and not in a nice way).

Assuming yoju have "normal" sized shoes.....Kate Moss would probably be ok, but of course, she wouldn't need any more cameras!

11. garycat

Car:
    Only my experience above. Aliexpress is a marketplace for various Chinese sellers so your experience may be different to mine. If the cover you posted looks exactly the same as on your car, including the dimensions then give it a try.

Mine one from Sinosmart looked OK but the clips did not latch on for some reason and I didn't want to force it in case it damaged the rain sensor / auto light.

1 person likes this.
  12. paul73mt

paul73mt Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2010 C350 CDI Sport sold , 2015 E250 CDI AMG Line
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  13. roheel

roheel Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Nice one.